7mm Wm C Boggs Sanitary Ware Manufacturers

adrian

Flying Squad
Furness Model Railway Show at Barrow. 9th-10th October
Cheers - would be nice to get to as it's not too far away from me - unfortunately other commitments might make it difficult. Hope you can cope with face to face meetings after all this time. I suspect it might feel a little strange at first.

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
That's the only thing that is worrying me. But I'm double vaccinated and I will be wearing a viser so there is not much more I can do. So fingers crossed.

Marc

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
We last did the show in 2018 with another micro layout "Crackpot Mining". That one was a 0-9 narrow gauge layout in an IKEA APA toybox.
Marc

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
Great show big thanks to all the team at Barrow. The layout went down very well a few issues with the couplings but the weren't designed for different high buffer beams and 3ft6 peco point work. nothing a redesign can't solve. no bookings until next august so if anyone has a spare 6ft slot Boggs might be available.

Marcbarrow 2021.jpg

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
Having not posted anything about the layout since last year I thought I should update everyone one what has been going on. In September Boggs finally got to GuildEx then Scale7 North and then last bit not least Workington. If anyone needs a small 7mm Finescale layout for their exhibition PM me as I don't have anything in the calendar for next year yet.
Here are some photos I took at Workington.
Layout front view.jpgworks entrance.jpgLoading area.jpgGen view 1.jpgGen view 2.jpgcoal store.jpg

Marc

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
I'm taking W C Boggs on the road again. It will be at Manchester Model Railway show this December and again in January at the Kendal Model Railway show.

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
After some sole searching I have decided to sell the layout I'm looking for offers around 1K as that's how much it cost to build. If anyone is interested PM me.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
After some sole searching I have decided to sell the layout I'm looking for offers around 1K as that's how much it cost to build. If anyone is interested PM me.

Morning Marc, sorry to hear you're moving on from this project and scale.

I've been involved in a fair few layouts over the years and their eventual sale. Sadly my experience is that you never get even close to the sum of the components, let alone the hours you put in.

We sold a 32' long exhibition layout with hand made track and buildings, artist painted back scene and all the transport materials needed for a show. From memory we got £1500 for it, which at best was probably about 25% of the materials.

Small layouts seem to go for a £200-400. Sorry to put a dampener on things but I doubt you'll achieve your target of £1000. @NHY 581 may be able to add something as he's sold quite a few small layouts over the years.

Last edited:

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
In that case I think I would try and reuse everything. I can't afford to let it go for less than the cost of the parts. The base boards on their own cost about £200

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
In that case I think I would try and reuse everything. I can't afford to let it go for less than the cost of the parts. The base boards on their own cost about £200

I'd see if others agree with my experience first. You've also got nothing to lose putting it up for sale on various sites at £1000, you never know you might get one of these mythical buyers that has lots of money and no idea what the going rate is.

Phil O

Western Thunderer
The club I belong to sold "Merryfield Lane" a 00 exhibition layout that had been in the Railway Modeller, we got £500 for it. A roundy roundy with a 12 ft x 1ft 6 scenic section. With no stock.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
The club I belong to sold "Merryfield Lane" a 00 exhibition layout that had been in the Railway Modeller, we got £500 for it. A roundy roundy with a 12 ft x 1ft 6 scenic section. With no stock.

Can be quite heartbreaking how little your pride and joy sells for, and proportionally, small layouts seem to get more per foot than bigger ones. Probably why quite a few layouts get scrapped and the parts recovered rather than sold. At the end of the day the layouts we have sold gave back in the enjoyment of the build and running at shows. No idea how to value that though!

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Hi Marc,

I have to agree with Pencarrot. I've sold three layouts, the last being the end of last year. I've only ever recovered the cost of the main things like buildings, which in the case of the last sale was in the region of £200 based on cost of replacement.
Conversely, I've seen some right old tat being peddled on ebay and asking quite high sums and seemingly getting it.

I wasn't keen on selling the last one and the intention was to strip and reuse the buildings and board but I went with the flow. For a few reasons, I should have stuck with plan A. Therefore, going forward, I've decided not to sell anymore of my layouts.

Rob.

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
Boggs is on the road again next weekend. I will be at the Carnforth show at the railway station visitor centre on both Saturday and Sunday.
Marc