Book Books

Captain Kernow

Western Thunderer
Superb new book with "unexpected hydraulics"

I won't mention the number of times I've been sorely tempted to get a copy from one of the traders at shows I've been to recently, but I've resisted and am staying a loyal Titfield customer, just got to wait now until I can get my hands on my copy!  ;D

Simon

Flying Squad

Well done that man!

Jeffery Grayer himself will be at the Titfield opening bash on the 13th so you will be able to get a signed copy if you wish and talk to him about the background to the book.

Are we meeting up this Saturday?

Simon

28ten

Guv'nor

I'll have one on the 13th as well! And if you believe in modified I might have a western finished  :))

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade

28ten said:
I'll have one on the 13th as well! And if you believe in modified I might have a western finished  :))

I might come myself to see that :eek: :eek:

Ian

28ten

Guv'nor
New releases from Strathwood

Xmas promo leaflet popped through the door today and a couple of books caught my eye - Seventies spotting days in the west country, and Sixties spotting days on the Western region. Other lesser regions are also covered  :))
Hopefully Simon will be able to get hold of them.

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer

Is 'Seventies Spotting Days Around The Western Region' a re-print of the one by Kevin Derrick or a new one ?.............which of course sold out quickly due to popular demand  ;D

28ten

Guv'nor

Phill Dyson said:
Is 'Seventies Spotting Days Around The Western Region' a re-print of the one by Kevin Derrick or a new one ?.............which of course sold out quickly due to popular demand  ;D
It's Sixties spotting days.... More steam judging by the cover, both books are new according to the promo leaflet

lancer1027

Western Thunderer

The Seventies spotting days is called around the west country and has a front cover of a western along the sea wall at Dawlish/teignmouth. Just ordered my copy for crimbo from the wife :thumbs:

Rob  :wave:

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade

28ten said:
Xmas promo leaflet popped through the door today and a couple of books caught my eye - Seventies spotting days in the west country, and Sixties spotting days on the Western region. Other lesser regions are also covered  :))
Hopefully Simon will be able to get hold of them.

Ditto just found ours covers all the regions even the lesser known western region one where the plumbing ruled ok

Ian

28ten

Guv'nor

Phill I can confirm that is a totally different book as I java a copy in my sweaty little mitts  :))
Also the North Devon line book is out, some cracking shots of Hymeks in Barnstable  :drool: a call to Simon should secure you a copy of either. I will have some more details after I have had good look

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer

28ten said:
Phill I can confirm that is a totally different book as I java a copy in my sweaty little mitts  :))
Also the North Devon line book is out, some cracking shots of Hymeks in Barnstable  :drool: a call to Simon should secure you a copy of either. I will have some more details after I have had good look
Thanks Cynric  :thumbs:, I will have to get the Spotting Days one & have a look at the North Devon one too 8)........did you notice if there was much coverage of Ilfracombe in the North Devon book ?
BTW 'Book Law/Santona' have bringing  out a new Western book too called 'Back to the Old Days, Westerns' by Roger Geach which looks promising as well  8)

Phill  :wave:

lancer1027

Western Thunderer

Hi Phill, how did you know about the new Roger Geach book ?, not heard about that one, sounds great though :drool: :thumbs:
My copy of "Seventies Spotting Days around the West Country" arrived in the post yesterday  :thumbs:. I was going to have a quick look through but the wife took it off me replying " thats for crimbo". I tried the old one "i need to check to see if its damaged " routine but she was having none of it, saying she would check it  :headbang:.

Rob :wave:

28ten

Guv'nor

Phill Dyson said:
Thanks Cynric  :thumbs:, I will have to get the Spotting Days one & have a look at the North Devon one too 8)........did you notice if there was much coverage of Ilfracombe in the North Devon book ?
BTW 'Book Law/Santona' have bringing  out a new Western book too called 'Back to the Old Days, Westerns' by Roger Geach which looks promising as well  8)

Yes, lots! There is a cracking shot of a Hymek and West country double headed climbing up Morthoe. Lots of good shots of the station as well. The other stations From Crediton are also well covered, and the content ranges from L&SWR  to modern units.
The book is quite expensive (?30) but IMHO worth it for anyone with an interest in the line.

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer

lancer1027 said:
Hi Phill, how did you know about the new Roger Geach book ?, not heard about that one, sounds great though :drool: :thumbs:

Rob :wave:
Hi Rob  :wave:
The Roger Geach book is advertised in Dec BRM  :thumbs:

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer

28ten said:
Yes, lots! There is a cracking shot of a Hymek and West country double headed climbing up Morthoe. Lots of good shots of the station as well. The other stations From Crediton are also well covered, and the content ranges from L&SWR  to modern units.
The book is quite expensive (?30) but IMHO worth it for anyone with an interest in the line.

Thanks Cynric, it sounds promising  :thumbs:, I will have a look at it when I get chance (as you say it is quite expensive)  :scratch:

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer

lancer1027 said:
I was going to have a quick look through but the wife took it off me replying " thats for crimbo". I tried the old one "i need to check to see if its damaged " routine but she was having none of it, saying she would check it  :headbang:.

:)) :)) I like your style Rob - a valiant effort!

Regards

Dan