Book Books

28ten

Guv'nor
Westerns vol one Adrian Curtis

Arrived this morning, I haven't looked at it properly, has anybody else bought a copy?
Note to self - don't buy so many books!

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer

28ten said:
Note to self - don't buy so many books!

No not yet (for that very reason) ;D..........there seems to be loads of Hydraulic books recently & my bank balance can't keep up with them all  ::)  :)) , I did get the new 'Western Region in the Seventies ' but SWMBO has put it away for Christmas  :thumbs:

Phill  :wave:

Neil

Western Thunderer

Phill Dyson said:
..... I did get the new 'Western Region in the Seventies ' but SWMBO has put it away for Christmas  :thumbs:

Twenty fifth December, 2010, 4:45 am.

"Has Santa been can I open my presents please oh go on I'm awake now anyway go on go on please why not why do I have to wait for everyone else ...... "

lancer1027

Western Thunderer

I have ordered my copy of Westerns vol one ages ago but i still havent received it yet :headbang: Hopefully sooooon ;). I too have a copy of Seventies spotting in the West Country which has been put away for santa :thumbs: and also ordered a copy of the new Roger Geach book but as yet its not arrived. ( supposed to be in stock 6th dec, so should be with me soon. :thumbs:

Rob :wave:

D1054

Western Thunderer

Placed my order and paid online about 2 months ago - no communication or confirmation received yet........ :headbang:  Money's gone from my credit card though!  Trust it will be along fairly soon though......  I've got Roger's book on order, and my copy of Seventies Spotting in the West Country I managed to intercept from the postie before SWMBO spotted it!  It's secured in my bedside cabinet and makes great midnight reading.... hee, hee, hee.

clarky

Western Thunderer

And me! - Ordered it in June, but no sign of it yet.

I phoned the man himself twice and was assured that it would be here by the end of November.

Now he says that there're 200 more to dispatch at the rate of 20 per day, so this week I hope!

clarky

Western Thunderer

Me too!

He said the woman at the local village Post Office couldn't handle any more than 20 a day!

Graeme

28ten

Guv'nor

Having had a brief look, there is a lot of detail in there, service dates etc, the only disappointment is that the photos are a bit small, but i guess full plates would have doubled the cost.

Simon

Flying Squad
Making Tracks by Paul Lunn

I have just taken delivery of Paul Lunn's new railway modelling design book, "Making Tracks". Published by Atlantic , it is a well produced 112 page long full colour softback that costs ?18.50. Cost inclusive of UK P&P from The Titfield Thunderbolt to Thunderers is ?20.00, ?21.50 to everyone else.

I think this is a fantastic book, streets ahead of the author's Micro Layouts book from Santona and going way beyond what we might reasonably have expected from Paul given his work so far.

I haven't read it through yet, but two things immediately stand out to me, the first being the artistic angle from which the whole subject is covered and the second being the superbly imaginative ideas and themes that Paul develops from what might appear to be "dull" prototype scenarios. The whole thing looks and feels fresh and appealing and the design and layout of the book are first class.

On this note, the layout schematics and track plans have been drawn up to great effect by Trevor Ridley, the publisher, whilst Paul's pleasing graphics are also much in evidence. Themes are predominantly contemporary and include passenger lines, freight terminals, tramways and preservation. There are fully worked out track plans, broadly worked out schemes and lots of additional suggestions and ideas all the way through the book.

Attachments

• Makingtracks.jpg
    916.6 KB · Views: 0

bogusman

Western Thunderer

:scratch: Hmmm could be one for the bookshelf Simon (I feel another trip to bath in the near future).

Pete

Simon

Flying Squad

Graham Powell said:
Any 7mm plans in it?.
rgds
Graham Powell

Although the ideas and concepts can be applied to any scale the book is pretty squarely aimed at the 4mm modeller I think.

Simon

S

Simon Dunkley

I was massively impressed with his set track plan book: how I wish I had had that when a child, but less so with his micro layout book, which seemed to be obsessed with set track again.

Does this one break free of that mould? I am not looking for something which requires handbuilt track, but something which goes forward a step into Streamline land.

Simon

Flying Squad

I was massively impressed with his set track plan book: how I wish I had had that when a child, but less so with his micro layout book, which seemed to be obsessed with set track again.

Does this one break free of that mould? I am not looking for something which requires handbuilt track, but something which goes forward a step into Streamline land.

Oh yes. It is streets ahead of his Micro layout book with which I was actually a bit disappointed. There is certainly no fixation with setrack, the terms of reference of this book are set much wider than anything he has done before.

I wouldn't say he challenges anything that Iain Rice has done, but I think you definitely get the feeling of a "new kid on the design block" from the book. It most definitely has a strong contemporary feel to it and suggests the healthy use of imagination applied to "real" situations and locations.

Simon

Who nonetheless will not be adding a class 153 or metrolink tram to his 1/32 modelling wishlist :))

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
Hydraulics in the west

Bloody hell  :eek:.............another one  :drool:

I'm having trouble keeping up with all these Hydraulic books, If the previous Ian Allen offerings are anything to go by this one will be a 'must have'  8) 8) 8)

Simon

Flying Squad
Hydraulics in the west

28ten said:
Due soon http://www.ianallanpublishing.com/hydraulics-in-the-west.html I'm sure Simon will getting it in stock.

Yes I will, can't beat a good hydraulic book ;)

On that note(ish) I have just taken delivery of "Britain's Railways in Colour: BR Diesels in the 1960s and 70s" by Colin Maggs published by Haynes. Published at £25.00 an "OPC sized" all colour hardback with dustjacket.

If you haven't seen it, its a bit of a "must have" a collection of fantastically interesting photos, very nearly all of which were taken by the late Rev Alan newman, a friend of Ivo Peters and a bl**dy good photographer.

Bizarrely, given the title and with necessary exceptions for "foreign" classes, nearly all of he pictures were taken in the west country, with the vast majority coming from the Bristol/Bath/Wiltshire areas. There are some absolutely stonking images, I am defo adding this book to my personal collection.

The captions are absolutely pants however, with a few exceptions where Alan must have left notes they are superficial and completely unresearched. In fact they are quite entertaining for all the wrong reasons in a "spot the pointless comments about concrete fence posts whilst you search for any useful information on a fascinating picture" - absolutely unbelievable!!

It is also available at an idiotically huge discount from Amazon - Haynes Publishing's finest marketing brains at it again :shit: