4mm Brassmasters Rebuilt Royal Scot, 46109

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
Mike,
I'm rather envious of your JB tickets, although I am off to see Robert Cray next April (postponed for two years due to Covid).
No progress with the Scot, or anything else, recently due to lack of motivation. I have formed the shape of the smoke deflectors but stalled on the fixings and beading.
I've been planning and sketching ideas regarding inside valve gear for a future loco and, most recently, looking at some more buildings for my layout so that I can commission a build (by Peter Leyland) early next year.
So, quite a lot of brain exercise but no practical modelling in recent weeks.
Cheers,
Dave.

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
No worries, Larry.
The building in question is the large block of houses immediately behind the station and which loom over trains in photos taken from near the buffer stops. When you start to look in detail it's a very interesting building. Definitely housing at each end, but the middle section could have been in some sort of industrial/commercial use - no chimneys and industrial style windows - up to the 50s/early 60s at least. All converted to housing now, though.
Dave.

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
Gosh. Nothing posted since last November. That's because there's been no actual modelling since then, although I have been planning some future loco projects and a couple of buildings for the layout.
Anyway, I've had a fit of enthusiasm to finish off the Scot and have done some work on the smoke deflectors. These have been bent to profile and temporarily fixed to the loco. They attach using two 16 BA screws through the footplate and clips over the hand rails. The current state is as shown below.
Scot_223.JPG

Scot_224.JPG
Still to do are the covers behind the hand holes, cosmetic bracing struts from the front edge to the smokebox and the beading. The kit provides a flat etch for this latter but I'm hoping to use half-round section, made by filing down 0.4 mm brass wire.
Wish me luck!
Dave.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Dave, your loco building is obviously a separate hobby from the branch terminus. But if you moved some ¾ mile down the branch to the junction, you could model Moorgate Halt and enjoy seeing your heavy locos at work on the Standedge mainline.

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
Larry, yes, a Scot is stretching the biscuit a bit (a lovely mixed metaphor used in all innocence by an ex-work colleague - not sure where he bought has biscuits:eek:) but I gather a Black 5 was used on a Bailley's Mill works special some time in the 1950s. So, perhaps a Holbeck Scot, misappropriated by Newton Heath for the purpose, could have been used on a Wakes special? Well, it can at Holt, anyway.
One of the loco projects I've been looking at is an ex-L&Y A Class - somewhat more appropriate wouldn't you say?
Happy New Year.
Dave.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
HAPPY NEW YEAR Dave. Yes, a Black Five was used when the Royal Train was propelled onto the branch so the passengers could have a secure nights sleep. I would think axle loading could have a bearing on whether a 7P would be allowed on the branch, but as you say, it's a Rule 1 scenario at the end of the day. Norman Wisenden told me a 2P 4-4-0 worked a parcel train out of Delph during the war.

A Lanky 3F 0-6-0 would be great with being rostered on the Delph Goods until replaced by Fairburn Tanks. I look forward to seeing you build one. My old one will resurface one day on a friends layout of Chester, but I would be in the queue for a rtr model. :)

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Looking very neat and 'square'. My last ride behind a 7P was September-ish 1965 from Abergele. A bloody good run, as they say; the loco was hot, filthy and oozing masculinity in Manchester Exchange. I don't consider any of the rtr models really capture these locos, but yours does to a tee.

Mike Garwood

Western Thunderer
At last....looks even better with the deflectors on! Really glad you're pressing on to the finish. Such a brilliant piece of modelling (repeating myself I know).

And a very Happy New Year to you. I hope its' not too long before we meet up again.

Mike

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
Thanks, Mike. Yes, let's hope we can get back to layout gatherings and even live shows this year.

Well, smoke deflectors now completed and fitted. Apart from AJ couplings, buffer heads, name and number plates and cab glazing, all to be done after painting, I think that completes construction of the Scot.
Here are two not very good photos showing the finished deflectors in situ.
Scot_226.JPG

Scot_227.JPG
Dave.

David B

Western Thunderer
I’ve just been re-reading Pat Ransome-Wallis’s 1951 book ‘On Railways’ where he describes a footplate ride just after WW2 on 46111 from Lime Street to Euston with a 15 coach train. He paints a vivid picture of an extremely powerful locomotive which is completely master of the job, coping with anything and everything, putting out more than 1,500 drawbar horsepower at over 70mph and arriving 9mins early. Your model doesn’t half look the part Dave…..beautiful work.

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
Thanks, David.
The next step for the Scot is to completely disassemble it, de-grease and wash ready for painting. I will paint the chassis but leave the body painting, lining and weathering to Davis Clarke, who is far more skilled at this than I ever will be.
I must say, I find this part of the build particularly hard to get down to as it seems such a retrograde step after the model is all complete. My previous build, the Black 5, has been stripped down for ages and still I haven't started the chassis painting. Some day.........
Anyway, here's a last look at the completed Scot, coupled to its tender, prior to disassembly.
Scot_228.JPG
Suppose I ought to finish to the Ivatt Class 2 tank next rather than starting anything completely new?
Dave.

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
In my humble opinion, the rebuilt Scots (and Baby Scots) were the best looking (and performing) Stanier locos on the LMR. There is no doubt the smoke deflectors unique shape/design added to the powerful image created when at speed. They were my favourite loco at Tamworth and I have a signed print of Philip Hawkins' 46132 at Tamworth hanging in my Railway Room.

His choice of locomotive is, for me, most appropriate, The King's Liverpool Regiment. My father enlisted in the King's Liverpool in 1917 before going to northern France. When Lee Marsh announced the Scot as a new model I ordered one. Sadly it would appear that the model will not now be built. I am tempted to go for an ex-JLTRT or MM1 kit but already have too many kits in the cupboard.

I think the Brassmaster's kit must remain a must have in 4mm, Dave, and you have certainly done it justice. I look forward to seeing it painted!

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
Thanks, Len.
Best wishes for the MOK 9F and your Scot. I shall keep an eye on progress.
I see my first Scot post (of the inside crank webs) was July 2020, so roughly 18 months to completion of construction. Almost a record for me.
Don't want to get a reputation for rushing through things!
Thoughts are turning to finishing off the Ivatt 2 tank. In fact, I've just started some judicious thinning down of visible edges round the cab opening and side windows. Still a lot to do with the body on this loco.
Dave.