Breaking Ground - Finescale - of a sort

Tom Insole

Western Thunderer
Hang on just a cotton (laundry) picking minute - what is all this smoke then?View attachment 166736
I believe we can now announce that it’s all a great rouse… in fact the little engine has been swapped from MDF and the like to a copper clad kettle and really is a real steam engine…..

Or it’s a vape trick shot.. I’ll let you guess the correct answer ;)

Tom Insole

Western Thunderer
Well, Where the heck do I start?

Today we took advantage of the cooler weather being bearable to be outside during daylight hours.. Once morning tasks were performed and we were packed with snacks, drinks and changing bag I set off to visit and was treated to not only an abundance of fun and rides up and down the branch, but also seeing extended family I wasn't expecting to see!

I also did get a little bit of footage to spoil you all... If anyone would like to know what it's like riding behind Wren... Wonder no more and instead indulge in this little clip!

And then to add to it all here are a few snaps from today..
The coolest driver.jpg
Off on another trip.jpg
Entertaining the passengers.jpg
Passenger Satisfaction.jpg
Reversing back down the line.jpg
return trip.jpg

Tom.
(All Puffed out and now off to bed!)

Tom Insole

Western Thunderer
Here’s a couple more videos, this time filmed from between my feet.

Going down the garden…

And the return trip:

A small mouth whistle was found. All though some didn’t get it was a pip an not a blow it the whole way up and down the line it was still good fun!!

Peter Insole

Western Thunderer
I normally make a point of not publicly showing the children's faces in my post photos - after all, they are too young to give their permission, but I just could not resist this image:

hhSAM_7638.JPG

I initially thought that Mr. T, his cousin and little sister; Miss P in the rear wagon qualified for a "caption contest!"

Then I realised that it probably doesn't need one?!

Pete.

Last edited:

Peter Insole

Western Thunderer
A lovely gift arrived on the railway yesterday evening:

hhSAM_7701comp-received_381523104096035.jpeghhSAM_7702.JPG

It was a bit of fun dismantling and transporting it home - thanks again to Glenn! - as it was rather too well put together in the first place, and then there was the game of strapping the larger sections on the roof of his car and driving round Cambridge with it!!

It will be perfect for providing the sound basis of our platform shelter/porter's room/ticket office building!

I shall have to get cracking though - because little Mr. T., is still nagging me about it, while Mr. O., is waiting to plant his Rambling Rose that will climb up and create a delightful screen at the back of the station!

Pete.

Peter Insole

Western Thunderer
"There (we) was, diggin' this 'ole"... (sorry Bernard, RIP)...

hhSAM_7704.JPGhhSAM_7708.JPG

The young lad and lassie insisted on helping their grandad, and despite the heat, did so very well indeed!

A fairly decent length of topsoil was removed, but bless their cotton socks, they wouldn't even have been able to reach down to the final bottom of the trench, let alone manage to cut two feet down through the hard "natural" clay!

That would take me another day to get the first panel in place...

hhSAM_7710.JPGhhSAM_7712.JPG

I can no longer convince myself that I have not gone completely bonkers! There are five more of these mighty heavy, six feet by one foot nine inch concrete monsters to drop in, align and bolt together yet!
Bearing in mind my blasted health issues, progress can best be described as "digging with a dessert spoon" or perhaps ""tunnelling with a teaspoon" more like?!

It should all look fine and dandy when it is done - if it doesn't do for me in the mean time...!!

Pete.

michael mott

Western Thunderer
Am I correct in thinking that these are from the fence that is now open? Take it easy on yourself, The heavy labour, that's what the young sons are for.

Michael

Simon

Flying Squad
Pete

I truly hope that you don't perish with your "dessert spoon", but I am moderately hopeful that everyone would speak very highly of you if you ever did(!)

I suspect that if "you don't then it won't", but as Michael says - take it easy!

This is arguably my favourite ever thread on any train forum, inspiring, uplifting, funny, warm hearted and a bit bonkers - if only the rest of the world could take your cue.

I look forward to future developments!

PS I haven't forgotten about my "barrow offer", just momentarily perplexed by the logistics of getting it to you...

Best wishes to all participants in your saga.

Simon

Peter Insole

Western Thunderer
Sorry, but no Michael! I dare not touch the remains of the fence as it belongs to someone else! I'm afraid that I will have no say in the matter if or when he eventually decides to replace it.

It might be timely to explain why I am expending so much effort with this particular bit of construction work though:

Many moons ago, a good neighbour offered me a concrete sectional garage that he was about to demolish, and at the time I gratefully accepted it. One morning, a couple of big, strong boys carried the various parts up the road and stacked them in my front garden. After a while I realised there were two problems that would have to be dealt with. One was that the roof was made of that nasty, corrugated asbestos stuff - that would have to be properly, and expensively disposed of, and secondly that I would need to lay another large concrete pad to accommodate it! I simply did not have the means to finance the project, so the abandoned pile just became an eyesore getting in the way for the next couple of years.

I have already told the story of the fence, (in an earlier post) but what I failed to mention was that a pathway leading down the (former) allotment gardens was shared, and that the new fence - correctly aligned on the property boundary line ran right along the centre of it - rendering the narrow path quite useless! Replacing that path with something usable would have also involved further, and unwelcome expense.

Then a lightbulb came on!

An awkwardly large pile of concrete slabs - all the side and end panels of the former garage - when laid flat, end to end were an absolutely ideal - and free solution! There were even enough slabs to reach the required length, and thus they have served that unusual purpose ever since - until recently, when one of my sons, Mr O., decided to redesign the garden - and the opportunity arose to build a railway!
Most of that path had to be lifted to make way - and is now once again an awkward (slightly reduced due to breakages) collection of stacks!

I was wondering how on earth I was going to dispose of that troublesome mass of reinforced concrete when another lightbulb moment occurred!

The back of the station platform is a mess of brambles, bindweed and other rubbish on what is effectively waste ground next door that is difficult to hide! A rather traditional wooden picket fence might look nice and authentic, but would not prevent the aggressive brambles (and other weeds) growing through and becoming a spoiler, let alone a maintenance nightmare! Besides, my finances are still terrifyingly stretched, so freebies are an absolute necessity!

Fondly recalling the old Southern Railway and London Transport's use of pre-cast concrete panel fencing provided the perfect inspiration for finding yet another peculiar use for my collection!!

hhSAM_6890comp zpoint 931.jpg
Hence the design in the above (previously posted) proposal sketch.

I had been hoping to be able to cut down the slabs to a more manageable height before setting them in, but my angle grinder is just nowhere near powerful enough!

I can live with a four feet high fence, instead of the three (pus a tad) shown in the above, but that now means having to dig down a full two feet through rock hard clay, some hefty tree roots, and all in a very restricted space - right in the middle of a heatwave too - in order to achieve it!

Those slabs are much too heavy for me to shift, let alone lift on my own these days, so strapping sons are not only handy, they're absolutely essential!

This horrible job must be done before I can even begin to reassemble the shed, as a stack is lying precisely on the spot. Those slabs are so bulky - and damned heavy - that I am utterly determined that they will get moved only once more in my jolly lifetime...

"And that's that!" (Thanks to the late Mr. Cribbins! - though hopefully it won't be the last line of my own song?!)

Pete.

Thank you so much Simon for giving me such generous complements. I am quite sure I don't deserve it. When troubling thoughts afflict, as they invariably do, it is of great comfort to imagine that something I have said or done might just be a help or encouragement for another. I cling to that hope, more so perhaps as I am so keenly aware of all the good and kind folk that I have let down and otherwise caused much vexation over so many years.

I fear I will have rather too much to answer for in the end.

Last edited:

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Peter,

Does using a desert spoon for excavation purposes also indicate that disposal of the arisings involves many trips around other parts of your garden letting the spoil gently out around your ankles and shuffling about so as not to arouse the household guards of your actions!:eek::eek::eek:

As others have said, be sure to take things easy, especially in these weather conditions.

Kind regards

Mike

JimG

Western Thunderer
I can live with a four feet high fence, instead of the three (pus a tad) shown in the above, but that now means having to dig down a full two feet through rock hard clay, some hefty tree roots, and all in a very restricted space - right in the middle of a heatwave too - in order to achieve it!
Peter,

Why not investigate hiring one of those smallbucket diggers to do the hard work. :) I remember some years ago considering hiring one to do some hole digging in my garden and it wasn't as expensive as I thought it would be. In fact the weekly rate was not all that much more than the daily rate - I assume a large part of the hire cost is the delivery and collection.

So maybe persuade the family to give you an early or late birthday present and pay for a week's hire. Do the digging in a day and have the rest of the week to play around. :)

I didn't hire the small digger at the time, but I remember back in the seventies at my house in Scotland getting the opportunity to play around with a full size one. A large house in front of mine was being demolished and I had been watching the activities for a while. When the digger driver stopped for a tea break he offered me a go on the machine and I had a wonderful time for about half an hour. :)

Jim.

Simon

Flying Squad
As others have said, take it easy, especially in this heat.

On the other hand, I think your re-use of the concrete panels is inspired and the result will look really good. It won't ever need painting, is impervious to the most pernicious of herbiage and there will be a lovely space where it used to be stacked!

As concrete panels go, I think they are good looking, just the right amount of aggregate exposed and delightfully aged!!

Tom Insole

Western Thunderer
Loving seeing all the developments. Weather permitting I’ll have to make a drop in at some point soon. I will have to use the car but If I could get away with cycling the new “shunter” the distance I’d bring something “broad gauge” down to the platform…
D159B921-AF9E-43B6-8EEB-6596EA3C8500.jpeg
As it’s almost BR blue I just HAD to make use of some reflective yellow vinyl sheet a neighbour very kindly acquired for me at a mere 20p a metre. I have some silver too so I’m contemplating doing the BR double arrow Emblem to go on the side of the box, or the frame!
Whatever the deal we’re proper Cambridge now!

Tom.