Broad Gauge adventures - Nick Dunhill's Workbench

simond

Western Thunderer
Basic physics might suggest that injecting cold water into the firebox water jacket might not be a good idea?

IIRC one of the Tuplin books talks at length about it, I think there’s some kind of tray under the top feeds to spread the new, cold, and possibly mineral-containing water about rather than concentrating all its sludge in a tight space.

and, as I suspect you were suggesting, repeated chilling of a hot area is probably going to repeatedly stress both firebox and backhead.

Atb
Simon

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Feed water trays came in, I believe, when Churchward added top feed to the safety valve fitting on the boiler barrel. The trays were either side of the main steam pipe and supported on brackets which had a semi-circular shape to fit over that pipe. Feed water trays are about 1 1/2" deep, six or so inches wide and extend from the safety valve on the barrel almost to the front tubeplate - the top of the sides of the trays have scalloped edges.

The dimensions of the trays are such that the water feed evaporates before hitting either the boiler plates or the surface of the water below. Any impurities in the feed water are retained on the trays.

Whilst all of the feed trays and brackets are made of steel all of the nuts and bolts to fasten the parts together are (ought to be) brass.

Feed trays are inserted into the barrel one section at a time, the trays slid forward and the next section bolted on. Removal is the reverse sequence. Feed trays would have been removed on a regular basis so as to remove the scale from the trays.

regards, Graham

Nick Dunhill

Western Thunderer
Thanks to everyone who helped with the bell here it is on the tender sole bar.

51241607391_f12b503207_b.jpg

Last week I completed all the cab and handrail details and both locos are complete.

51241607796_8a6fee7c1c_b.jpg

51242662800_fd5f5c80d0_b.jpg

51242662420_b5364e2cc8_b.jpg

All the backhead fittings are a bit wobbly as they're only loosely fitted up, removable for paint.

51242374984_ef96504dc4_b.jpg

51240898567_d6885722e0_b.jpg

There's quite a few more pics here; nick dunhill

The locos are in a box waiting for delivery of ABC motors/gearboxes. Is anyone else experiencing a delay with orders from ABC?

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Is anyone else experiencing a delay with orders from ABC?
No more than normal I suppose, I find it's usually at least three months, maybe more to turn around orders. I have one in from Mar 3rd and it's still not here.

Last edited:

GrahameH

Western Thunderer
Built and painted to an excellent standard.

May I ask if you know Warrens recipe for the GWR green used Nick ?

G

GrahameH

Western Thunderer
Absolutely superb Nick, I would even go as far as saying Museum Quality modelling and well worth all the time spent in making the loco.
A real credit to you and also Warrens paint finish.