Bulleid Q1 - 33030

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi all,

at long long last, I have started the MOK Q1 and I am building this one as per the book - engine first and then the tender. Most of you will probably have seen the previous one - chronicled elsewhere and I don't propose the do a blow by blow account as the whole kit quality, etchings, castings and the instructions are second to none and hopefully, the pictures will speak for themselves - so appologies for the camerawork in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_1576.JPG
    675.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1578.JPG
    739.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1579.JPG
    719.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1580.JPG
    779.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1581.JPG
    722.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1583.JPG
    733.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1584.JPG
    699.7 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1575.JPG
    644.9 KB · Views: 38

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
A right Charlie - Q1 33030

I am going to enjoy this one Mike I missed the last one and have and MOK in the stash (albeit and 8F)

SteadyRed

Western Thunderer

Met Marsa69 at the local 7mm group on Sunday (Poachers, here in Lincolnshire).

Apart from my first time seeing 7mm in the flesh as it were, very impressed I was wit the presence of locos and stock.

One guy had an almost finished MOK std 4 tank running, had a lengthy chat with him about the 4MT and MOK. Fortunately the tank was not painted yet, looked a like a beautiful model.

Think I need to start with something a little less liable to failure.

Again looking forward to the Q1 build.

Dave

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer

Hi Rob and Dave,

glad it is of interest, they are wonderful kits - can be built straight from the box and straight from the instructions as well  - a double whammy :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

A few years ago I built an ex GCR Robinson 0-6-0t in it's LNER condition (as it had local Wirral connections) from a GP Models kit, also from Lincoln strangely enough :eek: and the similarity in quality and instructions is a bit too close for the designers not to have known each other. Again an all nickel silver kit and went together as easily as the MOK - so a possible starter for you Dave?

Attachments

• DSCF0405_edited.JPG
    DSCF0405_edited.JPG
    177.4 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCF0399.JPG
    536.7 KB · Views: 16
  • DSCF0409_edited.JPG
    608.7 KB · Views: 8

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer

Hi Mike, I do believe as you have suggested that they more than know each other. I have heard mention that certain GP etches are marked up Dave Sharp or MOK (I cannot recall exactly which). I plan at some point to get a couple of the GP Barnum coaches.

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer

Hi Rob,

as i said, it wasn't until I was well into the first Q1 that the penny started to drop regarding the similarities - even down to the component identification method on the etches. I think that I may still have the J63 instructions in the workshop, I'll check in the morning.

Not much progress on the current Q1 as I had a visit from a friend to tell me of the death of an old Merseyside MRS member from the O Gauge Group days - Bill Dickinson, a great modeller and somebody who will be sadly missed.

Hopefully something to report tomorrow evening.

regards

Mike

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer

Very nice weathering job on the LNER tank engine  :bowdown: ( I like the coal spillage on the cab roof ) 8) 8) 8)

Phill  :thumbs:

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer

Phill Dyson said:
Very nice weathering job on the LNER tank engine  :bowdown: ( I like the coal spillage on the cab roof ) 8) 8) 8)

Hi Phill,

thans, a litle trade mark of mine on little tanks.

regards

Mike

SteadyRed

Western Thunderer

Hi Mike

Good idea about the J63.

Joined the Guild tonight so bedtime reading will be your review of the kit.

Dave

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade

Phill Dyson said:

Hey Phill you cant put coal on your westerns :)) :))

Ian

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer

Having finished assembling the steam chest, motion bracket and associated valves and guides, it was then a question of mating the two side frames together using the aforementioned sub-assemblies, together with the rear spacer and firebox ? an awful lot of tabs, but everything lined up perfectly and with a twist on the tabs ? working alternatively down each side, the result is a nice square chassis frame.

Attachments

• IMG_1585.JPG
    711.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1586.JPG
    621.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1592.JPG
    669 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1599.JPG
    707.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1603.JPG
    643 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1605.JPG
    737.4 KB · Views: 39

7mmMick

Western Thunderer

Mike

That really is nice, i know its common knowlege that MOK are the buisness but you're making a lovely job of it so far. If only MOK did something LNER !!

Best regards Mick

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer

That's looking the business Mike. All thse lovely lost wax castings  :drool: :drool: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Mick,  when I bought my 8F I asked Dave Sharp if he planned to do anything LNER and he mentioned he had a D49 in the pipeline so you may get your wish. :thumbs: :thumbs:

D1054

Western Thunderer

Looking Good! Very nice and neat job - so far :thumbs:

Love this iconic loco.....

Looking forward to pages 14 onwards....and I see you are too!

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer

7mmMick said:
Mike

That really is nice, i know its common knowlege that MOK are the buisness but you're making a lovely job of it so far. If only MOK did something LNER !!

Best regards Mick

Hi Mick,

as I pointed out above, the GP Models J63 is/must be an MOK clone and @ ?200 or so is a good buy - almost thinking of doing another one myself (and keeping it this time) The photo on the kit box lid is of my build.

regards

Mike

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer

It's crossed my mind to do a Brighton built 06, transfered to Bidston/Birkenhead with a BR number on the smokebox door, but still with NE on the tender and it's old shed name still painted on the bufferbeam - should cause a bit of a talking point at exhibitions :eek: :eek: :eek:

regards

Mike