Bulleid Q1 - 33030

adrian

Flying Squad
A right Charlie - Q1 33030

Rob Pulham said:
I have to admit to having had that thought myself for mine,  if I could get some decent photo's of an LNER candidate.

I've managed to get quite a few nice photos from http://www.transporttreasury.co.uk/

Not too sure of the numbers for O6's apart from what's on the wiki page. However a quick scan throws up the sort of thing available.

H1956 48710 (RF) tn frt takes avoiding road at Chesterfield 17/12/60
S3158  48712 ex-works Darlington shed 24/04/65

I tend to get a few 6x4 shots and then pick a couple of nice ones for larger prints. The service has always been very good.

Adrian

Steve Cook

Flying Squad

Hi Mike

It might not be my scale, but I'm finding the thread and kit fascinating  :thumbs: Its the first time I've seen an MOK kit going together and I'm extremely impressed so far. A quick question if I may regarding the tabs - after they have been twisted and soldered, do they then need to be cut and filed flush to allow the outer chassis etches (for example) to fit?

TIA
Steve (Avidly awaiting the next update)

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer

Hi Steve,

glad you like the thread and thanks for your comments. Yes the tabs are in the main removed after the component is attached, but some, such as those on the side of the motion bracket also passed throgh the frames and were only twisted, soldered and cleaned off once the frames were on.

Further update tomorrow as I kept off of the forum during the change over and am now just off to the land of nod.

regards

Mike

28ten

Guv'nor

The tabs are great but can also be a pain at times as there is so much cleaning up. Personally I just solder them as they fit fairly snugly and if for some reason I need to remove the part at a later date it is a little easier.

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer

The benefits in twisting the tabs are that you are able to have the components held together and check the squareness without needing the third and forth hand all the time. The tab has to be cleaned off, so I twist it, it makes no difference to the tab.

regards

Mike

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer

Starting to get to the fiddly bits now, but as it all fits as it should, you get drawn into doing more and more, albeit at a steady pace.

The front buffer area was first up and the only problem encountered was that all four buffer stocks are missing from the kit, I tried Dave Sharp, but no reply, will try again today.

Attachments

• IMG_1608.JPG
    IMG_1608.JPG
    228.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1611.JPG
    IMG_1611.JPG
    256.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1609.JPG
    IMG_1609.JPG
    218 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1610.JPG
    IMG_1610.JPG
    250.8 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1614.JPG
    IMG_1614.JPG
    195.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1606.JPG
    IMG_1606.JPG
    258.3 KB · Views: 31

28ten

Guv'nor

Take care on that icy stuff, I went out on my bike late yesterday afternoon and apart from the blinding low sun it was getting pretty cold and the back tyre was all over the place. Im getting too old to come off, I used to bounce back when I was 20, now it takes me several days.
I used to twist the tabs, but I once had to dismantle a unit and swore never to twist them again!

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer

28ten said:
Take care on that icy stuff, I went out on my bike late yesterday afternoon and apart from the blinding low sun it was getting pretty cold and the back tyre was all over the place. Im getting too old to come off, I used to bounce back when I was 20, now it takes me several days.
I used to twist the tabs, but I once had to dismantle a unit and swore never to twist them again!

Thanks Cynric, all a bit shamefaced really as I'm always telling SWMBO not to tread on the timber edging :-[ :-[ :-[

Just keeping my fingers crossed with regards the tabs ::)

regards

Mike

7mmMick

Western Thunderer

Ressaldar said:
It's crossed my mind to do a Brighton built 06, transfered to Bidston/Birkenhead with a BR number on the smokebox door, but still with NE on the tender and it's old shed name still painted on the bufferbeam - should cause a bit of a talking point at exhibitions :eek: :eek: :eek:

regards

Mike

Mike,

You should build it just to get the tounges wagging and a few of those ' eh mate that never ran like that '  :)). I have a picture of one of the J73's I intend to build with ' BRITISH RAILWAYS ' on the tank side, BR smoke box number with the BR number also on the front buffer beam in LNER lettering and class and shed detail as well. That one will attract comments. Can we start a campaign for MOK LNER kits anyone ??  :)) :)). Hope you're not in the wars again anytime soon and may the modelling continue  :thumbs:

Best reagrds Mick

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer

Hi Mick,

another of my 'would like to do to get the tongues wagging' locos is Black 5 4762 in the lining experiment livery of Malachite with Black and Yellow lining - bought the David Andrews long wheelbase kit but then a fellow club member wanted one so I sold it to him without even opening the box! - one day though :)) :)) :))

Thanks for the welfare comment - I'll try and stay on my feet now.

regards

Mike

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer

7mmMick said:
Mike,
<snip>Can we start a campaign for MOK LNER kits anyone ??</snip>
Best reagrds Mick

After the 'More MOK Southern kits campaign'; yes!  :)) :))

Steph

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer

Steph Dale said:
After the 'More MOK Southern kits campaign'; yes!  :)) :))

Steph

so long as the list starts with the Marsh K 2-6-0 and is followed by an Adams B4 0-4-0t and then the Maunsell W 2-6-4t (which should not be a problem as Ian Young did one not so long back), I agree with you.

regards

Mike

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer

Ressaldar said:
so long as the list starts with the Marsh K 2-6-0 and is followed by an Adams B4 0-4-0t and then the Maunsell W 2-6-4t (which should not be a problem as Ian Young did one not so long back), I agree with you.

regards

Mike

And all those appear after a Urie S15... ;)

Actually the W is a bit of a red herring in that regard; it's certainly not an MOK design nor even of the same standard.  It does appear to have some interesting ideas though.

I'm not sure the Ace K is as bad as all that; tarting it up with some good castings would give a very impressive model and every one I've seen built up has looked an absolute peach...

Steph

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer

Hi Steph,

whats wrong with the ex Northstar now Gladiator S15?
A friend built one of Ian Youngs Nelsons but only after getting hold of a number of drawings and castings from another source and I would not touch an Ace kit after the J (326 Bessborough) experience - so we are back to MOK or David Andrews for steam and waiting patiently for Dave Parkins revised mainline diesels. So it's as well that I have an MMP 08 to do after the Q1.

regards

Mike

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer

Ressaldar said:
Hi Steph,
<snip>
whats wrong with the ex Northstar now Gladiator S15?
</snip>
regards

Mike

Mike,
The Northstar one is a Maunsell - there are significant differences in the cab, running plate and frame profile.  Talking to Geoff at Reading he seemed willing to get me part way there (Urie tender and cab fret), but it'd still be a lot of work.

And the Nelson; well, that is MOK design.  I've got two to do and yes there are a couple of errors, and yes I have a load of drawings.  Mine will also have inside working motion and I'm hoping that I can work compensation in somehow; there is absolutely no allowance made for it in the kit.

I've got a couple of Ace kits to do (including a pair of J-tanks and a K).  The list of addition parts I'll want is lengthy, but I remain reasonably confident of a good result!

You're right about your selection of kits.  At the moment I think that the quality of the market is populated by few manufacturers; MOK and MMP at the top, Finney (for the fine detail and completeness) and Andrews (for sheer ease and accuracy of build) slightly behind.  I thoroughly enjoy kits from any of these guys, nearly everything else needs some thought; within the limits of my experience, IMHO, YMMV, etc, of course.

Cheers,

Steph

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer

You are making super progress Mike :drool: :drool:,  be careful in the garden you have an audience to please!! :thumbs: :thumbs:

Steve Cook

Flying Squad

Thanks for the replies regarding tabs Mike (and Cynric)  :thumbs:

Its coming on at a right old pace isn't it! Not sure how much is down to Mike, and how much to the kit, but its good fun watching from the sidelines  ;D

Does the inside valvegear actually work, or is it just static?

Steve

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer

Steph Dale said:
Mike,

You're right about your selection of kits.  At the moment I think that the quality of the market is populated by few manufacturers; MOK and MMP at the top, Finney (for the fine detail and completeness) and Andrews (for sheer ease and accuracy of build) slightly behind.  I thoroughly enjoy kits from any of these guys, nearly everything else needs some thought; within the limits of my experience, IMHO, YMMV, etc, of course.

Cheers,

Steph

lets hope that these guys keep coming up with the goods - and the passengers.

regards

Mike

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer

Rob Pulham said:
You are making super progress Mike :drool: :drool:,  be careful in the garden you have an audience to please!! :thumbs: :thumbs:

Hi Rob,

took the day off yesterday to let the lumps and bumps and the head ache work their way out and have our 10 year old grandaughter coming today - so another 'quiet' diversion while I regather my thoughts. Back to the model on Monday.

regards

Mike