Hawthorn Leslie/English Electric shunter in 7mm

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
This evening I realised I had bog-all chance of getting to sleep until the temperature dropped a little (still just over 26 degreesC in the bedroom!) so I thought I'd go and see if I could occupy myself for an hour or two in the workshop.

Coupling rods and the shortening thereof. This is a trick which, once used, is never forgotten. I learnt it in my 4mil days playing with the odd set of Alan Gibson 'universal' coupling rods. Shortening etched rods is pretty straightforward. Incidentally, this is demonstrating just one option for construction; if you've got the chassis constructed you can jig the rods from there...

But I haven't got the chassis done, in fact I want to use the rods to jig up the hornblocks. So I had to start by making a quick jig. As per usual the emphasis is on speed and repeatability rather than getting the coupling rod centres correct to the nearest gnat's crotchet. So that'll be cocktail sticks, wire and bit of chipboard then:
IMG_8861v1.jpg

And the etched rods from Slater's. I started by knocking out all the rods for one half of the set, with the slender rods of the prototype I decided not to use the extra half-etched layers for the bosses; the half etch in the rods would be enough:
IMG_8862v1.jpg

First job was to remove the attachment tag on the top of the boss on the centre layer of the rods and put a 'V' in the top of the box with a 3-square (i.e. triangular) needle file; this optional stage will form a centre when I drill here later. Inserting a short length of wire in to the hole formed will portray the corks for the oil boxes:
IMG_8863v1.jpg

And so to fiddling. Working on one part/layer at a time they're cut through, the cut edge filed smooth and deburred on the smaller piece. The larger piece is marked up:
IMG_8864v1.jpg

Then cut and file until the two edges meet as accurately as possible. Careful it's not too tight a fit and you end up pushing the cocktail sticks out of whack:
IMG_8865v1.jpg

And now the middle layer, note that the layers will overlap when assembled:
IMG_8866v1.jpgIMG_8867v1.jpg

And now all three layers are done:
IMG_8868v1.jpg

Assemble the layers, this view showing clearly the way the two parts of the rod now formed will meet:
IMG_8869v1.jpg

And tack solder around the bosses:
IMG_8870v1.jpg

Reassemble on the jig; the strip of brass is just used as packing to make up for the half etch thickness of the outer layers of the rod. Tack the two rod sections together. Yes, I did have a second bite at this particular cherry in order to get the two sections to align better:
IMG_8871v1.jpg

Run solder round and they're now ready for cleaning up:
IMG_8872v1.jpg

These rods are steel so heat control is a little different to brass. I also use Baker's fluid as flux and 188 solder, which is a good combination for this sort of work. I'll use 145 solder to attach the corks and perhaps the knuckle pin.

The other rod sections will follow when I get a chance to spend another hour at the bench...

Steph

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Interesting stuff Steph, just one question if I may - why cut so close to the rod end to make the short section? That leaves a small piece to manhandle around when you could leave more rod on that part and slightly less on the corresponding sections to make it all a bit easier to manipulate or line up.
Steve

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Steve,
You're correct, of course, that it'd be easier to handle if the 'small' section was a little larger. But, it'd be much harder to disguise the join between the sections (especially if you were dealing with a fluted rod). By trimming off close to the boss I can use the step between the full- and half-etched sections to disguise the join.
Steph