Johns LNWR gallery

Kevin MH

Western Thunderer
Could we Possibly have a look at your coal Tank Kevin
Of course. It is a bit tarnished. A friend has a grit blaster that will clean it up bright and shiny just before primering.

It has been a delightful kit to build. Everything fit without a fiddle. Except possibly I had to open the holes in the buffer beams to take the buffers supplied. This is now the first thing I check on a kit.

IMG_0001.jpg IMG_0003.jpg

Kevin MH

Western Thunderer
You need only ask. At the end of the purple wires is the speaker. I have not yet established what I'm going to do with it, but the other three have some tinplate from a tin can lid, soldered to the chassis, with the speaker pointing down and held by nothing more than its own magnetism. On one occasion of running one of them fell down and fouled a turnout. Otherwise I think I'm standardizing on it. And I'll slip in a favorite photo of the 4' shunter.

Attachments

• IMG_0006[1].jpg
    IMG_0006[1].jpg
    143 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0007[1].jpg
    IMG_0007[1].jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0388 (2).JPG
    IMG_0388 (2).JPG
    128.7 KB · Views: 42

Kevin MH

Western Thunderer
What sort of drive are you putting in the Cauliflower? What are you doing for pickups? I find the Slater's plungers a good bet. But I open out the hole in the back of the plastic sleeve, where the threaded bit of the plunger comes out, by a bit. Otherwise I find they snag a bit.

And the plungers on the 4' Shunter corroded such that they would not move. I had to strip them down and polish them. I have not had any trouble with Slater's plungers since.

Kevin MH

Western Thunderer
While we are chatting, will it be rigid or sprung or compensated? The 4' Shunter was an easy decision. It MUST be suspended some way, with only four wheels on the track. Classic Sharman suspension was the obvious answer. The driven axle rigid to the frames and the leading axle tilting on a fulcrum. It never fails. Unless the pickusps corrode, obviously. They have not over a year now. None other of mine have. I must have had some corrosive gas in the vicinity. My flux is a dilution of phosphoric acid. It is not terribly corrosive. So I have no explanation. The three other kits are sprung with, again, Slater's components. I find Slater's hornguides easy to work with, assuming that I have a set of jig axles to set them up. I don't trust rigid to run well. Are yours digital or analog?

Kevin MH

Western Thunderer
Hi Kevin
It Will be sprung and hopefully an ABC gearbox
John
ABC is a good gearbox. I'm on a bit of a budget, and still work with worm and gear. But what I have learned is that a nylon worm leads to a nearly silent gearbox, so that is how I build them! The C class has a MSC gear box and a Cannon motor. I expect to be able to weigh it down well and have it drag serious loads.

paulc

Western Thunderer
And the two other kits finished or near to. My 4' shunter that is the apple of my eye, and an OLD kit of a Special Tank. I also have a running chassis for a C Class but the body is stalled by bits that do not fit.

View attachment 139013 View attachment 139014
Hi Kevin , an old Eric Underhill kit . I built one of those a while ago and ended up boring out the boiler from the firebox end as it was the only place to fit a decoder unless i wanted a snail trail of wires going to the coal bunker .
Cheers Paul

Kevin MH

Western Thunderer
Hi Kevin , an old Eric Underhill kit . I built one of those a while ago and ended up boring out the boiler from the firebox end as it was the only place to fit a decoder unless i wanted a snail trail of wires going to the coal bunker .
Cheers Paul
Yes, Eric Underhill. I had an odd time with it. The tank and boiler seemed to be 2mm short. I know they aren't. But the cab needed to be moved forward 2mm, which caused the Mashima 1833 to tilt over into the boiler. I managed to tape a chip to it, and the speaker is under the firebox. I made a few mistakes with it, but I just want to paint it and move on. I was very happy to get it and build it. But there are lots more kits to build.

paulc

Western Thunderer
Yes, Eric Underhill. I had an odd time with it. The tank and boiler seemed to be 2mm short. I know they aren't. But the cab needed to be moved forward 2mm, which caused the Mashima 1833 to tilt over into the boiler. I managed to tape a chip to it, and the speaker is under the firebox. I made a few mistakes with it, but I just want to paint it and move on. I was very happy to get it and build it. But there are lots more kits to build.
Hi Kevin , whose sound file did you use or is it the coal tank repurposed?
Cheers Paul

Kevin MH

Western Thunderer
Hi Kevin , whose sound file did you use or is it the coal tank repurposed?
Cheers Paul
I get my chips from YouChoos. It is the coal tank, all three of these locos are coal tank sounds. I'm tempted to buy other railway's two cylinder loco sounds just for variety. My C Class has the G sound. I may try to finish it next, or I may start my coal engine. Which had to have sounded like a coal tank...

john lewsey

Western Thunderer
Looking slightly Stockton and Darlington with the boiler sitting on top. The kit does come with a boiler etch but I dislike moulded or etched boiler bands, im using the boiler that came with the SDX kit. When Laurie Griffin built that loco for me he made a new one. IMG_20210312_154544.jpgIMG_20210312_154539.jpgIMG_20210312_154523.jpg