Johns LNWR gallery

Kevin MH

Paul,

Well, it's a little late to worry about it now. How does it run? It looks as if you used the kit's coupling rods and by extension that it is rigid. Mine is sprung, although the motor is jammed pretty firmly in place, and does not move around. Did you find that the castings fitted the footplate? Mine were about 2mm short.

Kevin

Last edited:

paulc

Western Thunderer
Hi Kevin , i decided to build this one out of the box so you are correct that it is a rigid chassis . I did read your build notes and the problems that you had with the fit and i seem to remember having a lot of clean up so parts fitted against each other correctly but didn't have your issues .
The only part that i had trouble trying to fit was the Zimo dcc decoder which eventually ended up in the boiler after cutting a slot through from the firebox . The obvious place for the decoder was the coal bunker but i couldnt get the trail of wires to sit out of site to my satisfaction . It runs sweetly through an Escap motor/gearbox and is quiet in reverse but has a slight whine going forwards but i can live with that .
I have a Chowbent L & Y saddle tank kit built loco and it is rigid chassis , it runs fine as well and if either of them gets kicked off the rails its usually a kink in the track that is causing the fault .
Cheers Paul

Kevin MH

Paul,

I had to cut away all the obstruction between the firebox and the boiler, to allow the motor to tilt down. My Zimo decoder and its stay alive do fit in the boiler. The speaker fits in the firebox below the motor. I fitted a bit of tin can lid to the chassis and the speaker clings to it magnetically.

I ask about the rigid chassis as I am convinced that pick up and traction are improved with springing or compensation. My Ramsbottom 4' shunter has a rocking axle, picks up remarkably well, and can pull 11 wagons and vans. Amazingly I was able to jam a speaker under the cab.

Kevin

paulc

Western Thunderer
Hi Kevin , being an LNWR/L&Y modeller i have a few 4-4-0 and 2-4-2 locos and these are scratch built and all have sprung chassis . I was taught the black art by a good mate who had been building locos & rolling stock since his teens and his reasoning went something along the lines of , if there are 4 pick up wheels and one is lifted up then you only have one pick up on one side , not good so spring the chassis . If you have six pick ups and one is lifted you should still have two on one side picking up , much better so springing is an option .
In saying this i should state that most of his locos , scratch or kit built were sprung but a lot that he had purchased over the years from deceased estates etc were not but all ran faultlessly . He wasn't a stickler for cleaning wheels but his track & pointwork which was all hand built was excellent and if something came off or stalled the trackwork was checked and if given the okay then the loco was inspected for faults until the problem was found .
I have tried to follow his example and dont have too many problems so something must be working .
In short if you are happy to spring or compensate all your locos then do it , it will have no detrimental affects on your stock and will help with any dodgy trackwork .
Cheers Paul