PjKing1

Western Thunderer
Can I ask, why fictional? Why not just model the place?
Evening Jim, I did think about modelling it as it was with the turntable but that’s all it would be a turntable and one siding off it which would only hold one 40 etc or maybe two small diesel locos. If I model it as a ‘what if’ it’s kind of how things might have been I’d they had re-designed the area similar to King’s Cross passenger loco/stabling point.

Paul

PjKing1

Western Thunderer
That hut….. Art.

John
Thanks John I was very pleased with it hopefully I can do the signal box justice, I just don’t know if I have the time or willingness to scribe that many bricks into foamexor go for the brick sheet option for ease, I might put it to the vote!

Here’s some more photos of the box, one of the perks of being based at Lime street is I pass it every day ;)

IMG_7647.jpeg
IMG_7649.jpeg
IMG_7650.jpeg
IMG_7652.jpeg
IMG_7622.jpeg
IMG_7621.jpeg
IMG_7620.jpeg

Thanks again

Paul

John57sharp

Western Thunderer
You'll go bonkers scribing that lot Paul, and its very regular, no dints or chips to get artistic about. I’ve a thing about the way the early engineers combined brick and stone blocks into the exiating bedrock as seen here, and more locallymto me in the sandstone cutting in Neston.

Have you even been inside?No, the signalbox of course.

John

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
Nice to see your progress on a very interesting project. Looking forward to see how it progresses. I have visited Lime Street now and then since 1948/9 but never took much notice of the stabling point (wrist has been slapped since!) . On my first visit I did take a picture of a then new Ivatt class 4 2-6-0 ("Mucky Duck" as they became known) 43026 against the wall at the entrance to the single tunnel exit from platform 1. Unfortunately, this is an old b&w print from a box brownie and I am struggling to reproduce it suitably on here.

Good luck with this project Paul.

Roger

michael080

Western Thunderer
I am following you thread with great interest. This is a stunning subject, it might shamelessly copy it :cool: at some point.
One question: How do the cars visible in some pictures in #23 get to that level?

Michael

PjKing1

Western Thunderer
I am following you thread with great interest. This is a stunning subject, it might shamelessly copy it :cool: at some point.
One question: How do the cars visible in some pictures in #23 get to that level?

Michael
Thanks very much Michael, the road and carpark in Adrian’s photos used to be platforms 10 and 11 as seen in this pic

Thanks again

Paul

PjKing1

Western Thunderer
Managed to get over to platform 9 the other day to take a few closer pics of the box, I am trying to find out if I can some how get shown around it so a few people are asking questions for me.
IMG_7699.jpeg
IMG_7700.jpeg
IMG_7701.jpeg
IMG_7705.jpeg
IMG_7706.jpeg
IMG_7704.jpeg
IMG_7707.jpeg

My thoughts have also turned to the boards, I’ve got two 4’x2’ boards from Tim Horn in the garage but these will need stripping then extending each by 1ft but I’ve also asked Tim for a price on two new 5’x2’ boards, my other option is good old fashioned build them myself so I’ll see what price Tim comes back with.

Once these are up and running getting the track down shouldn’t take me that long apart from the points.

In the mean time I might start weathering the bogie on the 40 and Peak.

Paul

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
The signal box is a nice piece of LMS wartime architecture albeit opened by British Railways in 1948. Shame it doesn't have a grade II listed status like York Station (1951 BR red brick brutalist architecture), Birmingham New St (1964 BR brutalist architecture), Woking (1937 SR art-deco), Horsham (1938 SR art-deco) and the remaining traditional style signalboxes.

Being hemmed in against the rock face reminds me of Liverpool Street and Baker Street signal boxes being built in cramped locations (both Metropolitan Railway).

PjKing1

Western Thunderer
The signal box is a nice piece of LMS wartime architecture albeit opened by British Railways in 1948. Shame it doesn't have a grade II listed status like York Station (1951 BR red brick brutalist architecture), Birmingham New St (1964 BR brutalist architecture), Woking (1937 SR art-deco), Horsham (1938 SR art-deco) and the remaining traditional style signalboxes.

Being hemmed in against the rock face reminds me of Liverpool Street and Baker Street signal boxes being built in cramped locations (both Metropolitan Railway).
Morning Dave apparently it is listed, something to do with the stone lettering on the front is protecting it.

Paul

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Good news it's listed - I couldn't see it in the English Heritage listed buildings list unless it forms part of the Lime St grade II listing.

The carved stone lettering is one of the things I've noticed on my way into Lime St but never paid any attention.... too busy getting ready to alight and leg it to our offices in Old Hall Street.

PjKing1

Western Thunderer
Good news it's listed - I couldn't see it in the English Heritage listed buildings list unless it forms part of the Lime St grade II listing.

The carved stone lettering is one of the things I've noticed on my way into Lime St but never paid any attention.... too busy getting ready to alight and leg it to our offices in Old Hall Street.
It definitely good news, I don’t know when the carved lettering appeared but it wasn’t there in the 1980’s I don’t think, I’m literally about to drop down into lime street now so I’ll be hanging out if my 185 cab window phone at the ready!

Paul

Paul Tomlinson

Western Thunderer