Lochgorm Kits

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
Will you lot GET A ROOM!:))and stop cultivating the vegetation ,spice up your life and stop chewing hard mints as they rot your teeth.

now what was the question again

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
Who said anything about chewing mint imperials?

BTW Mr. Iploffy, interesting to see that your avatar is reflecting your personal state... not often that posts to WT make readers go g***n with envy :) .

I have no say in the status that the fascist green oppressors give to the down trodden BLUE brigade but there will be a revolution, plus the fact if it makes the greens feel superior let them have the few words they can sling we all know the truth don't we. votes aren't wrong

28ten

Guv'nor
Could we please stay somewhere on topic, the OP asked a sensible question and as far as I can see, only one reply actually discusses the kits in question.........

S

SteveO

Reading between the lines (and there are SO many of them, most of which I'm completely baffled by...) I think I've discovered the answer.

Thank you (?...)

Buckjumper

Flying Squad
Could we please stay somewhere on topic

only one reply actually discusses the kits in question.........

just rather irritated...

Yes, sorry and sorry. My fault; wrist slapped, feeling suitably chastised.

Right, back on topic:

[Edit] are the kits compensated, or is this a retro-fit operation?

Ah, yes now that's a good question because now you mention it it's the one area which let the fish wagon down.

The kit is an enlargement from 4mm and the holes in the axle guards are too big for Slater's bearings. I mentioned this to Andy Copps in passing and he said the rim of the Slaters top hat bearing should 'just' fit, enabling it to be soldered in. My wagon had obviously been in the etchant for a few seconds longer than it should have been as the bearings passed straight through (and with some room to spare). As I had some spare WEP inside bearing compensation units to hand I fitted them instead.

AFAICT from the thread on RMWeb the Cov B is also enlarged from 4mm so there is the possibility the same may happen.

Apparently with his new kits Andy designs things the other way round so the bearing holes are correct for 7mm and 4mm kits which are shot down need the holes enlarged.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
The kit is an enlargement from 4mm and the holes in the axle guards are too big for Slater's bearings. I mentioned this to Andy Copps in passing and he said the rim of the Slaters top hat bearing should 'just' fit, enabling it to be soldered in. My wagon had obviously been in the etchant for a few seconds longer than it should have been as the bearings passed straight through (and with some room to spare).
If, as Adrian says, the Slater's pin-point bearings pass through the axleguards then all is not lost. The diameter of the journal part of the bearing is such that the bearing fits nicely in a 7BA (possibly 8BA) washer and hence the washer increases the apparent overall diameter of the bearing flange.

7BA you say? :confused: Rare as hen's teeth. :p Not so, a stock item carried on the Eileen's Emporium stand :thumbs: .

In case you might think that adding washers between the bearing flange and the axleguards is not a "good thing", many etched kits and some plastic / resin varieties, have too much space between the axleguards such that the Slater's axle has end-play. The Slater's pin-point axles / bearings are designed to run with a tad of pre-load on the pin-points so adding washers takes up the slack.

regards, Graham

Apologies and suitable grovelling to WT-ers for the previous outburst of memories from Quantum lectures, hippy LPs and dusty tomes of the Bard.

28ten

Guv'nor
As Jordan says there is off topic and Off off topic (which might mathematically make it back on topic, before Dunks says anything ;) ) If its your own thread it can go wherever you want, or there is always the possibility of a spam thread in members, but i think if somebody is asking a reasonable question that might be of future interest to other members then its best to stay on topic :) Apologies and grovelling accepted. :cool:

S

Simon Dunkley

As Jordan says there is off topic and Off off topic (which might mathematically make it back on topic, before Dunks says anything ;) )
I resemble that remark...

Just so long as everyone is clear about this: two wrongs do not make a right.
However, three lefts do.

Damn. I've done it again.

S

SteveO

Well, I guess some manufacturers must be quite happy with their lot.

After about a dozen calls and a few emails it seems Lochgorm are not interested in picking up the phone or answering emails. I was interested in buying 3 of these to get me going. I've spoken to ABS and they have parts ready to take with them to their next show (at the weekend) so I can pick them up. Unfortunately, it looks like a mini chain of disappointment.

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Hi Steve, that really does surprise me. I bought a few of these in 4mm and some of the highland fish trucks and when I contacted Andrew he gave a prompt reply and the goods were delivered quickly. Perhaps he is away on holiday?

Sorry I cannot offer comment as to build-ability of these as I never got around to building them before moving up to 7mm scale so I sold them on. I did build some of Alistair Wright's (5522)coaches though and they were very well thought out and went together a treat.

S

SteveO

Thanks Rob, I may be being a little unfair on him. I emailed and called on Thursday, called a few times Friday (didn't leave a message this time) and on Saturday. Called and emailed about an hour ago. I'm expecting the police to call at any time now for stalking!

I'll give him a couple more days perhaps...

Buckjumper

Flying Squad
Mirroring Rob's experience, when I contacted Andrew he was prompt in replying, so like Rob I suspect he off on his post-Telford hols - after all, those of us who are one-man band businesses in this hobby need a break too ;) As the kids are back at school, holidays are cheaper and not so noisy in mid September!

I'd give him a week or two and try again.

Edit: Whoops- cross-posted with your above.

S

SteveO

Holidays? Bah humbug!

No worries, I'm in no real rush. In a flighty, whimsy, daydreamy moment I thought about etching my own. I'm sure wagon plan books are available somewhere? In my flighty, whimsy, daydreamy moment I thought about tackling the process a slightly different way to what I've seen available, though. I thought about designing a selection of common prototype rolling wagon underframes/chassis', as I'm sure there were limited types and sizes of these, and then designing separate bodies to fix on top. That way, you could probably put together a wagon/chassis combo that may not be ordinarily available. Good idea or non-starter? ©2012

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Good idea or non-starter? ©2012

Seems a reasonable idea. If your period is suitable, you might consider wooden underframes in which case you could use resin rather than etch... easier learning curve, less outlay to point of production.

If you continue along this line, I suggest that you start a separate thread with a more appropriate title and move your last post to start the topic running.

regards, Graham

7mmMick

Western Thunderer
SteveO,

Looking forward to seeing a build on the van and hopefully some prototype stuff, very well priced at £25 I think. I'd be interested to know what the total cost of parts are once you have all you need. Must add a few of these to the wish list.

ATB Mick