Lochgorm Kits

S

SteveO

Mick, as soon as I get them I'll start a thread. I spoke to ABS on Saturday and I'm sure the total of the extra cast parts was around the £10 figure, but I don't think that included wheels though. Watch this space.

I'm also thinking of a brake van, maybe from Connoisseur, so I can have an instant train (well, instant if you don't count the three months it will probably take me to build it...). Add two or three opens and that's a cracking little train to shunt around.

7mmMick

Western Thunderer
Steve, even with the cost of wheels added in its still a great price for an etched brass kit. Will the build be S7 or F/S and do you plan to compensate or spring in any way. If possible could you post the contact details and order process from ABS and also do ABS have a catalogue? I meant to find these things out at Telford bug I had a hectic day and everytime I got near ABS the bloke was really busy. As you probably know you can't go wrong with Connoisseur, I've nearly finished an LNER 10t fish van which would go nicely with a few of these vans...

ATB Mick

S

SteveO

I admire S7'ers for their tenacity and approach but this will be FS+ (I'm not sure what the term is but 31.5mm track gauge) for Westerfield and bog standard 0 for my Shunt-0-Rama.

The kit as supplied comes with compensated W-irons I believe so no trouble there. Most of the brake rigging is supplied for both LMS and LNER types, all that's missing are the castings (vaccuum chamber, axle boxes, buffers and buffer pipes, etc) and wheels, all of which are available from ABS, and very good they are too. The chap I spoke to on Saturday was a diamond and seemed to already know what I needed - he just wanted to know if it was a wooden or steel underframe (these are steel versions). They don't have a website so I found their number here:
http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/suppliers/40158-ABS_Models
They have a catalogue which (I think) is £1.50 plus postage.
Happy to help out – which makes a change as it's usually me doing the asking!
Steve

S

SteveO

Mick, Andy Copp is back from holiday and has emailed me. He called too but I was busy picking up my son from nursery. I'm going to order 3. I said you'll probably contact him with an order yourself. His work email is copps@freeuk.com

The info is for anyone else who may be interested too.

7mmMick

Western Thunderer
Thanks Steve, it may have to wait until payday but I'll send an email. When you starting the build thread and what period will your pair be modelled in ?

ATB Mick

S

SteveO

Mick, I'm modelling late 50s/early 60s so will be BR Eastern. I'll wait until I get the etches and castings then sort out a workshop in the loft. There's an old computer desk up there that just needs assembling and will be perfect for a workbench.

I've bought 3 tonight so will post up pics when they arrive.

S

SteveO

I've collected the etches from my office tonight.

As I mentioned in my wheel thread, my little man (only 2!) broke his arm yesterday so I've been working from home - or trying to - while looking after the little munchkin.

I'll take a pic of them tomorrow. Her Ladyship and the littleman are off to lunch with friends so gives me the opportunity to do my own stuff. I also placed an order for two 13t Hybars from these people, along with wheels for all 5 wagons. I'll call ABS tomorrow and get some LNER casting kits for the vans. The Hybars are not compensated so was thinking of Bill Bedfords kits - are there any alternatives to this?

I should then have a reasonably-priced train that, with a bit of skill luck should turn out OK.

As far as previous workbenches go, the 31 and 47 are on hold and the layout will be a slow but continuous burner up in the loft. I've still got to get a few soldering supplies to buy then it's building these kits, hopefully with the addition of a brake van.

7mmMick

Western Thunderer
Steve,

Other alternatives for sprung W-irons that I have experience of are exactoscale and slater's. Both are very good but my preference really is exactoscale, who also do common wheelbase fixed chassis that should suit your hybar's. Once you've got the hang of it they fold up really quickly, some of the things on my workbench thread have exactoscale units. The slater's units are good but just a bit more fiddley and take a lot longer to put together. Looking forward to the Hybar build, although a bit late for my period as I model late 40's early 50's BR it will be nice to see a kit come together from a supplier I've not built from before,

ATB Mick

S

SteveO

Took a pic of the etch today while up in the loft drilling pilot holes for my baseboard. It's so simple - plain even. It's a really nice feature that they have provided practice rivet holes on the side of the etch (right hand side of image, top of etch). Also, you may notice that there are quite a lot of W irons - that's because a simple compensation unit is also provided, if you choose to use it.

I'm quite looking forward to finishing off the workbench in the loft so I can start this, but I'm definitely not looking forward to rolling the roof...
IMG_1407.JPG

7mmMick

Western Thunderer
Steve,

I like the look of this, the one piece fold up body which also has the fold down w irons. This should solve a few potential issues and make assembly quick. I also like that the w irons assemblies are separate as this will allow me to sort out some springing with them prior to fitting as I prefer this to compensation. Looking forward to seeing your build thread and roll on pay day !

ATB Mick