Old Parrock

AJC

Western Thunderer
PS I may be wrong, but I thought there were some new build council houses on Pendon?

I've never seen them in published pictures and video - and I have looked fairly hard - and which tells its own tale about modellers as viewers, I suppose. I must confess that I've never been. Must rectify that.

Adam

EDIT: I have found evidence that some are to be included (behind the Chequers Inn - could someone point me to a photo if they know of one?).

Wheelwrights for Pendon….

Last edited:

Mikemill

Western Thunderer
Adam

I spent a day with Roye in the mid seventies, we visited some of the more interesting cottages and buildings in the vale, he then showed me some of the techniques he devised to make his models. He talked at length of his ambition to preserve the vale as he experienced it. Over the years like minded model makers contributed to building the vale scene using his meticulous records and drawings.

What you see today at Pendon is what Roye wanted to achieve.

Mike

Simon

Flying Squad
Dear Paul

Wonderful, captivating and a complete joy to watch.

Your well observed modelling is very believable, and as Marc says you could easily think it is in a larger scale.

It brought to mind the "Duck End" video for its charm and the way in which you draw us all in to the place that is Old Parrock.

Thank you.

Simon

PaulR

Western Thunderer
Thanks for the kind comments. The real fun here was the editing which took a lot longer than the filming.

Simon mentioned Duck End. There is also a set of short films which I made between 2014 - 2019 with my great friend Peter Strange, who sadly passed away in 2019. Each year we made a whimsical story set on Peter's Gauge 1 garden railway, based around a hapless couple called Cyril and Daisy.

The final film, 'The morning Shift', I put together after he died, and was a medley of the shots for a new film which was sadly never finished. My personal favourite is 'The Church Outing', although I am very proud of 'A Winter's Mail' in which we nearly froze and usually finished around midnight - not a pleasant time to be filming trains in early December!

They're all here on YouTube, including Juniper Junction, which was our attempt to make a stop motion film for children. We totally failed with that one and I still have 120 copies of our DVD under the bed!

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Hello Paul.

It's a delight to meet you, if only virtually. Those films have given great joy to lots of people and I'm sorry to learn of Peter's death.

Brian

Allen M

Western Thunderer
Hello Paul.

It's a delight to meet you, if only virtually. Those films have given great joy to lots of people and I'm sorry to learn of Peter's death.

Brian
I did like the black & white bit at the beginning. I certainly captured the films of the time.
However the whole thing is excellent, thanks.

Regards
Allen

Simon

Flying Squad
Thanks for the kind comments. The real fun here was the editing which took a lot longer than the filming.

Simon mentioned Duck End. There is also a set of short films which I made between 2014 - 2019 with my great friend Peter Strange, who sadly passed away in 2019. Each year we made a whimsical story set on Peter's Gauge 1 garden railway, based around a hapless couple called Cyril and Daisy.

The final film, 'The morning Shift', I put together after he died, and was a medley of the shots for a new film which was sadly never finished. My personal favourite is 'The Church Outing', although I am very proud of 'A Winter's Mail' in which we nearly froze and usually finished around midnight - not a pleasant time to be filming trains in early December!

They're all here on YouTube, including Juniper Junction, which was our attempt to make a stop motion film for children. We totally failed with that one and I still have 120 copies of our DVD under the bed!

Ah, that explains a lot!

Very sorry to hear about Peter, his line and your work with him in producing Duck End and what you both did afterwards is just utterly wonderful.

By the way, apologies if I knew all or any of this before, I am getting very good at forgetting things.

Old Parrock and its atmosphere is an extremely worthy successor to all of the magic you both conjured up in that beautiful garden.

Simon

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
As the timing of my previous post might suggest, I had the opportunity to revisit this excellent thread earlier this morning due to a generous helping of insomnia.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading through, from inception to completion. A great 'how to do it'.

One thing I had missed before was the extendable supports for the fiddle yard. True genius and I cannot ever recall seeing this on another layout.

I therefore feel obliged to 'have a go' at this myself for my next little project.

View attachment 81067

We've fitted drawer runners in each end to facilitate the fiddle yards:

View attachment 81068

View attachment 81069

They are strong and secure. The idea is that the fiddle yards slot in and clamp to the baseboard, and it means that we only need two trestles. I must admit that I'm quite daunted by the prospect of designing these.

Ground breaking.......maybe. Thought provoking......most definitely.

Rob.

PaulR

Western Thunderer
As the timing of my previous post might suggest, I had the opportunity to revisit this excellent thread earlier this morning due to a generous helping of insomnia.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading through, from inception to completion. A great 'how to do it'.

One thing I had missed before was the extendable supports for the fiddle yard. True genius and I cannot ever recall seeing this on another layout.

I therefore feel obliged to 'have a go' at this myself for my next little project.

Ground breaking.......maybe. Thought provoking......most definitely.

Rob.

Hi Rob,

Thanks for that. It has actually worked out really well. Because I didn't concentrate on keeping things light the fiddle yard is a bit heavy (it slightly overbalances the layout), so I use a single pole to support the fiddle yard, but the runners do keep it completely level.

With a light-structure fiddle yard it could just be stuck on the end without a prop, and a big sign saying, 'Don't lean here!' The two boards are simply joined by a couple of strong plastic clamps.

VicDiesel

It's amazing the 'path' we can take to places ; places we never knew were there.
From a chance pickup of the Journal and reading of Old Parrock to the finding of these incredibly well done Filmettes showcasing the undoubtable love of Storytelling. I congratulate you both as well as my sympathies for the passing of your true friend and irrefutable partner in crime.

Quite honestly Im not sure how Juniper Junction ,especially, has never won an award ( has it ? ) for Short Film . The subtleties and nuances are impecably timed and woven into the fabric of this tale. The humour, wonderfully riding through the visuals as an undrpinning foundation. The viewer is immediately transported back to another time where life seemed 'simpler'.
Sir(s) your craftmanship and skill in this medium are first rate.
Might I say a very fitting legacy for all the time you both spent weaving your magic. I hope it was as much fun for you to make as it was for me to watch.

Cheers
Richard
(Melb, Aus )

PaulR

Western Thunderer
It's amazing the 'path' we can take to places ; places we never knew were there.
From a chance pickup of the Journal and reading of Old Parrock to the finding of these incredibly well done Filmettes showcasing the undoubtable love of Storytelling. I congratulate you both as well as my sympathies for the passing of your true friend and irrefutable partner in crime.

Quite honestly Im not sure how Juniper Junction ,especially, has never won an award ( has it ? ) for Short Film . The subtleties and nuances are impecably timed and woven into the fabric of this tale. The humour, wonderfully riding through the visuals as an undrpinning foundation. The viewer is immediately transported back to another time where life seemed 'simpler'.
Sir(s) your craftmanship and skill in this medium are first rate.
Might I say a very fitting legacy for all the time you both spent weaving your magic. I hope it was as much fun for you to make as it was for me to watch.

Cheers
Richard
(Melb, Aus )

Richard, thank you so much for that very kind posting which I really appreciate. Despite its commercial failure we were very proud of Juniper Junction. At the risk of going off (Old Parrock) theme, here's a little of the story behind it:

We did everything - wrote the story, made all the sets, set up all the lighting and did all the animation and filming. Peter made the figures. A good friend, John Richards, edited the film, but also taught me how to do it properly so that I have been able to edit all our films since then.

Juniper Junction was made entirely in a brick garden shed 12ft x 8ft. Everything was stop-motion animated including the trains who were moved one or two millimetres at a time according to their speed. To make trains stop smoothly, we filmed them backwards and reversed the sequence. The only CGI was the figures blinking, which was effected frame by frame.

Obviously, some of the trains were longer than the shed with eight or nine coaches, so coaches were added onto the back as the train passed through the scene and removed again once out of shot. In one or two of the train sequences, coaches appear twice in the same train - it's great fun planning this kind of trickery.

It took four years to make, working three days a week.

The 'Cyril and Daisy' films came after, and were a joy to make with just a Sony Mini-Cam. We filmed one each year, spending happy days in Peter's garden playing with his gorgeous Gauge 1 Bassett-Lowke and Bing tinplate trains, most of which pre-date WW1. We made recordings of trains on the Bluebell Railway for the sound and developed a way of editing stories where the characters are immobile - it needs a lot of thought. Cyril and Daisy stand on my dresser now, a reminder of happy days!

Previously in the 1990s, while I was still beavering away working in primary schools, Peter had made a couple of films with another friend. These were called Duck End. There are a few of these around on VHS but unfortunately they have pretty much disappeared now.

Making films with Peter was enormous fun. I've also enjoyed making the little films about Old Parrock, but nothing can match the hilarity of working on the Cyril and Daisy films - wonderful memories!

IMG_20220131_094534741.jpg

Simon

Flying Squad
A "like" just doesn't do justice to your post, thank you very much for sharing your memories and explaining how it all happened.

Youtube apart, can one still purchase "Juniper Junction"?

I'm ashamed to say that I didn't stock it in my shop, but in my defence I have always struggled selling anything that wasn't a book!

Really great to see Cyril and Daisy are still together, your storytelling was first class in that the lack of motion of the figures somehow added to rather than detracted from the story and overall effect. The sounds were brilliant too.

Going back to Peter's garden railway, apart from the lovely stock and setting, I thought his re-use of "architectural elements" for want of a better description was really vey clever. The full size chequer block used as a platform shouldn't have worked, except that it did, brilliantly.

I'm too much of a "scale geek" to be as brave as that on my stuff, but as I build my new G1 line I definitely have the magic of his railway and his clever and inventive approach in mind, trying to avoid minutiae and go for broad effect re-using as much of what is around as possible. With a garden full of rubbish this might be quite a good approach!

Anyway, thank you again for the films, Old Parrock and the memories.

Simon

PaulR

Western Thunderer
Peter's approach was highly individual and somehow it worked. He was always aware of the toy aspect of his garden railway: playing fast and loose with scale and varnishing figures with gloss.

It all seemed to work though and the whole effect was joyous.