P4 New Street

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
As requested a few pictures of electric loco's​
ACsatBNSjan2014l.jpg
87035atBNSjan2014.jpg
86103atBNSjan2014.jpg
Under the roof is one of the few places I can take pictures of Electrics without it looking odd due to the lack of overhead.​
Cheers​
Jim​
Sparklies, nice

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
It always used to feel like a bit of surprise if I ever happened to look up in the roof at New St to see the overhead there, too!! :eek: :D
...and it always seemed so close, too, somehow - more so than usual, or even out in the open at either end of the Station. Perhaps due to clearences it actually is lower??

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
Normal distance above rail height is 13ft, the minimum distance from the roof 6". I was fascinated with the behaviour of the pans as they ran along the wire and was treated to a gem of a ride in the early 90' s. Passenger to Euston of a set where the DVT had failed and the loco was leading with the pan in the rear perfectly visible from the from driving Cab of the DVT, you would be suprised at the amount of travel it has and just how high it goes.

Jim S-W

Western Thunderer
It always used to feel like a bit of surprise if I ever happened to look up in the roof at New St to see the overhead there, too!! :eek: :D
...and it always seemed so close, too, somehow - more so than usual, or even out in the open at either end of the Station. Perhaps due to clearences it actually is lower??

It is quite low. It's about a 0.5 meter difference between normal mk1 running height (4.72m) and the working minimum (4.19m) and even though new street is slow the height change would still be governed by th 1 in 400 ruling which is 200 meters. Thus no point changing the wire height at the ends.

Cheers

Jim

Jim S-W

Western Thunderer
Hi All

Added some thoughts on people to my workbench

people-1ds.jpg

I'm thinking that unlike the high contrast style that military modellers use a low contrast, low saturation approach is better for 4mm scale. The above image is a mock up of our of the packet figures with the saturation of the picture halved. For more and to compare the original picture go to http://www.p4newstreet.com/thoughts-on-the-little-people-part-2.html#comments

Cheers

Jim

Jim S-W

Western Thunderer
Hi all

Finally made a physical start on my model of th shopping centre. The ramps at the Wolves end were drawn up as a set of parts in Illustrator and cut out on my friend, Tim's laser cutter. The first of the 2 beams has now been basically assembled and mocked up for a picture.

palisades-1.jpg

At the moment the top beam is loosely held on with blue-tac but you get the idea. The Laser cutter has turned what would be a bit of a mission into something that's been quite a nice project so far and at least assembly wise, pretty easy.

Cheers

Jim

Jim S-W

Western Thunderer
Thanks both

As a distraction I've been attacking a defensless hornby 110 with a razor saw again! This time to do a class 114, by good fortune Tysley inherited some in 1987. Thus a 114 is a good candidate for either a Brum-Nottingham or a Brum-Cambridge service

class-114-DMBS-cutting.jpg
class-114-DTC-cutting.jpg

DMBS top and DTC below reassembled with cabs from DC kits. Sections marked as A are new, sections marked as B are original and C are orignal but reversed. Next stage will be to remove the roof vents, fill the joins that need filling and adjust the profile.

Cheers

Jim

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
Jim looks good, i do like the refurbished livery
I liked the "Tyseley Scratch Sets"... where each car in a 3-car set was in a different livery... :D :)) ;)

... just a thought, though - as 1987 was in my "wilderness years" so to speak, when was the white/blue stripe PTE livery withdrawn? Would it have been seen at New St in 87..?

Jim S-W

Western Thunderer
This one will be bog standard blue and grey. As pretty much all dmus were in the midlands in '87. Not there's a standard for blue and grey as it varied from one class to another. Sometimes even the same class (101s spring to mind)

Most of the cross city sets were kinda scratch sets with class 115, 116 and 127 all being in the same set. The ones I likes we're when a class 122 stood in for a DMBS.

Dunno when the last blue and white dmu went but I suspect it was in the early 80s. It's an intriguing question though.