P4 New Street

Jon1011

Thanks Jon

Does this mean I can actually find your class 31 project now? :)

Jim

Hi Jim, until such time as I can find a viable solution to fixing the sizes of the footstep cutouts in the front ends (i.e. resulting in a correctly sized cut out with the protruding lip remaining) then this project is well and truly on hold. I know what you think about the Lima bodies and I have two of these for comparison. Yes in some respects they do look good... but none of them are "right"; I feel that by trying to correct what I see as obviously wrong with the Hornby 31 I'll end up with something different... but I guess it's not going to be easy. Nothing has been written about this yet; one day hopefully I'll get back to it. Currently waiting on 08 bits (not just from you :rolleyes:) for that wee project to crack on... and playing with a pair of more-modern image ViT 47s to keep me busy.
But yes, you'll not find me posting on a certain BR Blue FB group anymore.
Cheers
Jon

Jim S-W

Western Thunderer
Moving on to the DMBS like the DTS the easy option would to be to use the Lima 117 chassis as is and like the DTS most people will be none the wiser. However hacking DMU underframes about a bit it quite a good way to spend an evening.

class-114-new-UF.jpg

Some parts are repositioned while others are made from bits of plasticard, microstrip or brass rod. The radiators are quite distinctive and I do believe unique to the class. These were made with a bit of an old Shawplan class 56 grill for the mesh. Given the position of the filler and the odd curved tops I wonder if these were standard items from a bus?

class-114-engine.jpg

Cheers

Jim

Jim S-W

Western Thunderer
Hi all

A few more 'just for the hell of it' pictures

08601atBNSmar2014.jpg

50008atBNSmar2014.jpg

class-317atBNSmar2014b.jpg

Cheers

Jim

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
Although there's not much of the actual Station in those pics, it just couldn't be anywhere else, could it?? ;) :)

Jim S-W

Western Thunderer
Sometimes I just get an urge to do something new or something that I haven't done in a while. This week I had a bit of a hankering to do something with brass, not like bunging a few CCU's together but something more creative, something from scratch.

ole-on-end-of-12.jpg
My intended victim, an isolation mast from the Eastern end of platform 12. I suppose I could have built a standard (ish) mast but ive done those before and fancied something a bit different, something that's a bit of a crowd pleaser I suppose. So a drawing was made, some section picked up from Modellers Mecca and the soldering iron and mini drill fired up for a couple of sessions at my workbench.

OLE-isolating-mast.jpg
Heres the result of my labours. It went together surprisingly well and despite the use of Colin Craig's insulators and my own etch for the registration arm it's all good old-fashioned fabrication work. I have to admit im pretty pleased with how it turned out.

OLE-isolating-handles.jpg
Close up of the handles and brackets for the isolation gear.

OLE-isolating-mast-top.jpg
A typical 'platform enders' view of the interesting bit!

Question is now, is the urge satisfied or have I just made it worse?

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
Good job you posted the "unpainted" picture, Jim, or we'd be muttering about posting pics of the real thing & pretending it's a model.... ;) :)

Bob

Western Thunderer
OMG:bowdown: The sheer size of this project (BNS as a whole) is breathtaking....incredible to see such workmanship on one of sooo many masts ( I realise it's not a bog standard one).
I can just picture it with the whine of an 85 drawing in with the frequent sound of a lady announcing "shunter ring 2800".......takes me back! :thumbs:

Bob

Jim S-W

Western Thunderer
Not booked no (there was some booked freight) however it wasn't that unusual for a speedlink service to be diverted through the station now and then. Ideal for a class 81 perhaps. Having said that it was usually an 87 or a 58 when I saw them.

Jim

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
A freight I saw go through New St one time (circa 1979/80) was hauled by a Class 33. Now that was a surprise!!!
IIRC it was a train of Conflats with a big block of stone on each. I also saw an MGR hopper train go through once, but can't recall what was on the point. Probably a 56, as I was no longer 'spotting' by the time the 58s came into service.

Jim S-W

Western Thunderer
There was a booked Wednesday MRG train that ran as required to burton wagon works (cripples). Before my era it was usually hauled by a class 40, I don't know if it still ran in 87 and what would have been on the front or indeed what the consist was. Any info great fully received :)

Other booked stuff was a couple of steel trains, freightliners and a monster cartic train that was too big to fit in the station.

Jim