Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
So well crafted ,observed, painted AND Southern...(sort of)...its developing into one of the Exceptional layouts ..............Respects etc Brian W

Hi Brian, very kind of you to say that, much appreciated. Glad you are enjoying the somewhat glacial build.

Been avoiding completing the grain store for some time - mainly the thought of all those stone roof tiles. :confused:

2-Bil

Western Thunderer
If stone roof tiles turn out too mind/finger numbing clad the Store in corrugated iron !!................(.only jesting) .....Keep safe etc,etc

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
If stone roof tiles turn out too mind/finger numbing clad the Store in corrugated iron !!................(.only jesting) .....Keep safe etc,etc

Tempting...

I did consider using the self adhesive laser cut slates from York Modelmakers. I used them on the wharf buildings, and others previously.

The problem with them though is that they are too thin and textureless. Photos of the grain store seem to show thicker stone tiles \ slates which are unevenly sized, different thicknesses and somewhat chaotic in application.

The pre-cut and other short cut options available won't IMO replicate the look I'm after.

If anyone has any ideas please shout up.

GrahameH

Western Thunderer

Maybe if there is someone close to you with a Silhouette Cutter could draw a row of individual random sizes onto p/card sheet ** thick and repeat over several rows. You could then pick which ones will be placed at random. Using two of the same stuck together would give you a different thickness and either on or off the sheet give the slates a wire brushing to give a slight texture ? Or using your painting skills ( yes you've got some coz I know ) add texture when they are laid on the roof.

Whichever method you decide to finally use it's going to be another laborious task I'm afraid but worth it in the end.

Well you did say shout up !

Cheers matey, crack on !

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Wickes best cream cheese added to form the sloping ground in front of the buttresses. This slope will continue downwards towards the main baseboard ground levels, with the bit in the photo attached to the removable building.

IMG_20200418_134621.jpg

Once set I'll remove the tape down to ground level and then give it all a coat of primer.

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Before priming you may want to bow the leaded light in slightly as if it had constantly been wind blown-and given the age of the building.

This stock photo shows the effect.

Screenshot_2020-04-18 old leaded windows - Google Search.png

During the 1970's - 80s we lived in an inter - war 1930's suburban semi which had leaded windows and I recall these being slightly bowed in and not perfectly flat as if new.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Before priming you may want to bow the leaded light in slightly as if it had constantly been wind blown-and given the age of the building.

This stock photo shows the effect.

View attachment 122091

During the 1970's - 80s we lived in an inter - war 1930's suburban semi which had leaded windows and I recall these being slightly bowed in and not perfectly flat as if new.

Hi Dave, nice photos. I'm guessing that the window etch will get pushed in a little anyway. Always seem to catch the damn things by accident.

I was going to leave fitting the etch but it would have been a s0d to fit accurately from the rear. Instead I fixed it to the rear of the stone overlay and trapped it in a sandwich of plastic.

Peter Cross

Western Thunderer
Cheers Peter. It's starting to look like what I had in my mind's eye for a few years. The buildings taking shape hopefully means others can now see what I'm aiming for too.

Apparently 70 is the new 50, so you'll be fine! How's the virus situation in Brazil? Not heard much about South America in our news.

All the best.

Well the virus is here, but not as bad as Europe.
But I think our moron, sorry president wants to kill everyone. He sack his health minister for telling those that can stay home, this is after saying on twitter it's just flu, think he's still band from Twitter. His best remark so far I think was well, the sick and old are going to die anyway.

But we are fortunate the boys school is closed , the wife can work from home and me I was here most of the time already. Now we just need to make sure we don't kill each other.

It's nice when a plan comes together. My modelling seems to take longer. Less time with more household chores to do. I did want to get the ply in for mine but not sure if I can under house arrest.

simond

Western Thunderer
Tempting...

I did consider using the self adhesive laser cut slates from York Modelmakers. I used them on the wharf buildings, and others previously.

The problem with them though is that they are too thin and textureless. Photos of the grain store seem to show thicker stone tiles \ slates which are unevenly sized, different thicknesses and somewhat chaotic in application.

The pre-cut and other short cut options available won't IMO replicate the look I'm after.

Chris,

I’ve been playing with laser cut card for slates on my loco shed. They are, of course, very regular, with hints of colour variation, and thus quite simple.

You want something more varied in texture, thickness and perhaps colour too. Perhaps laser etched card might work, or very thin acrylic? I suspect for adequate and reliable etching, you need better skills & capability than amateurs can offer. Perhaps a discussion with Phil?

Atb
Simon

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
A real beast of a building/s matey, I expect you to work your magic wealding the paint brush now.

Oh! have you decided about how you're going to make the cornish slate roof yet ?

G

Certainly is a beast of a building, not the easiest thing to work on, hence making it in smaller segments and adding them to the main carcass.

Still thinking about the roof tiles...