Prototype PhilH's Industrial Railway Photos

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Wonderful stuff, Phil. Thank you. I look forward to seeing anything else you may have.

Brian

Edit - I failed to say that I reckon that film to video transfer is first class, and the subject is fascinating. I was a salesman in the mid '70s to 1980 and the North East was in my patch. I also worked for a company with a relaxed attitude to taking occasional diversions (as long as the figures looked good). What an opportunity missed!

Last edited:

PhilH

Western Thunderer
Wonderful stuff, Phil. Thank you. I look forward to seeing anything else you may have.
Brian
Edit - I failed to say that I reckon that film to video transfer is first class, and the subject is fascinating. I was a salesman in the mid '70s to 1980 and the North East was in my patch. I also worked for a company with a relaxed attitude to taking occasional diversions (as long as the figures looked good). What an opportunity missed!

Brian,
I first visited the North East in 1966 with two 2 day trips in June and July, and saw a total of 116 steam locos, with 52 in use and the remaining 64 either spare, under repair or withdrawn, plus the Westoe electrics, all NCB locos except for the ones at Seaham Harbour. In those days access to collieries was no problem and I never obtained permission, just picking a good couple of days weatherwise then travelling up overnight to arrive at the first colliery early morning. I think I was challenged only once, while poking about in the loco shed at Backworth a chap asked "do you have permission", I said "no", so he just said "well you should have" and wandered off leaving me to get on with it ! Otherwise the staff were usually quite friendly. There were always ways into any colliery without passing the main entrance and offices, usually along rail lines and I think the locals treated colliery railways as unofficial public footpaths. There were several colliery systems still using rope worked inclines but at that time the main interest was the locomotives so I didn't hang round long enough to see any of them actually working.

The visit to Seaham Harbour was timely as the following year the dock company acquired 5 new diesel locos and the entire fleet of steam locos was scrapped except for No.18 the 1877 Lewin. I didn't visit again but it must have seemed rather incongruous to see the Lewin in company with 5 modern diesels and the Thos.Hill Sentinel diesel conversion. It went for preservation to Beamish Museum in January 1975.

1. 6635B.jpg

The Lewin and chaldron wagons were retained for maintenance works and clearing coal spillage from under the staithes on the low level lines round the docks. The photo was taken at the north end of the harbour where tracks led on to the breakwaters and also on to the beach to obtain sand. From here the track passed through a short tunnel under a rock ridge to emerge alongside the North Dock.

2. 6637B.jpg

No.18 emerges from the tunnel and runs along the North Dock wall.​

3. 6702B.jpg
A rather decrepit inside framed open wagon at the north end of the harbour. Note the fisherman top right working on a lobster pot outside his hut.

4. 6721B.jpg

A pair of chaldron wagons at the loco depot, one still bearing the faint "L" of Londonderry Collieries.

5. 22927B.jpg

The Lewin shortly after arriving at Beamish Museum.​

Next: more photos of Seaham's Locomotives

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
I always thought Lewin would make an interesting model in 7mm/1ft. I have a feeling 'Impetus Kits' did one, but I may be wrong.

The above picture is interesting as the con-rods appear to be circular cross section. Note also the standard gauge Simplex to the left of Lewin.

Mike

PhilH

Western Thunderer
I always thought Lewin would make an interesting model in 7mm/1ft. I have a feeling 'Impetus Kits' did one, but I may be wrong.
The above picture is interesting as the con-rods appear to be circular cross section. Note also the standard gauge Simplex to the left of Lewin.
Mike

Unfortunately I didn't photograph the standard gauge Simplex, very remiss of me as its probably as interesting as the Lewin - presumably too carried away with photographing the Lewin !

It's a 40hp protected loco works no.1364 built in 1918 for the War Department, WDLR No.3085 originally to 2ft. gauge for service in France. After rebuild to standard gauge it went to the Washington Chemical Co's works at Sandyford, near Paisley. About 1970 it was transferred to the same company's (by then Newall's Insulation & Chemical Co.Ltd.) Washington Works in Durham where it was restored, arriving at Beamish in April 1971. In March 1981 it went to the Imperial War Museum, Duxford, and was restored back to 2ft. gauge in 1991. (info from IRS records).

I assume its this one: Simplex 40hp Locomotive

PhilH

Western Thunderer
Seaham Harbour (continued)

Most of the earlier locos had been disposed of by 1966, just remaining were the Lewin and the two Hawthorn Leslie 0-6-0STs JUNO and NEPTUNE obtained new in 1922 and 1936 respectively. Between 1960 and 1963 a total of 15 secondhand 0-4-0STs were obtained which had been made redundant by dieselisation at various steelworks. Not all these saw use at Seaham as several were used only as a source of spares.
All had been sold for scrap by January 1968.

6. 6705B.jpg

JUNO Hawthorn Leslie 3527/22 alongside the BR Seabanks Branch at the south end of the harbour sidings, with the BR Seabanks Signal Box visible through the steam on the right.

7. 6706B.jpg

View of JUNO the other way with the BR Branch curving away to the left from the harbour sidings in the background to join the Seaham to Hartlepool Line.

8. 6703B.jpg

173 0-4-0ST Hawthorn Leslie 3919/37 ex Dorman Long, Acklam Works, Middlesborough

9. 6708B.jpg

B No.38 0-4-0ST Hawthorn Leslie 3496/21 ex Consett Iron Co.Ltd., Consett Works.
(the "B" ahead of the number was the Consett Works type or class designation)

10. 6709B.jpg

B No.23 0-4-0ST Hawthorn Leslie 3744/29 ex Consett Iron Co.Ltd., Consett Works

11. 6713B.jpg

The N.C.B.'s Dawdon Colliery was on the opposite side of the BR line at the southern end of the harbour sidings with their No.11 Hudswell Clarke 1412/20 in use.

12. 6717B.jpg

A line up at the loco depot with No.3 Hawthorn Leslie 3355/18 ex South Durham Steel & Iron Co.Ltd., West Harlepool Works; 25 Robert Stephenson & Hawthorns 7345/47 ex Dorman Long, Britannia Works, Middlesborough; 10 Hawthorn Leslie 3352/18 ex Dorman Long, Acklam Works, Middlesborough and JUNO. Just visible to the right is the Thomas Hill 0-4-0DH conversion of one of the four Sentinel locos. These were found unsuitable for the service at Seaham, three were sold and one sent to Thomas Hill for conversion.

13. 6718B.jpg

B No.10 0-4-0ST Hawthorn Leslie 3476/20 ex Consett Iron Co.Ltd., Consett Works at the "loco shed" which had some walls and windows but never got a roof. This loco was one of two locos converted to oil burning, the oil tank is mounted on top of the saddle tank just in front of the cab.

14. 6714B.jpg

A view looking south of the staithes at the South Dock. No wagons seem to be on the staithes so presumably no ships were loading at that time. After coal shipments ceased they were demolished. Just in the photo on the right at a higher level are the harbour sidings, now occupied by the A182 Road.

What great and inspiring photos of Seaham, one of my old stamping grounds as a kid on bicycles from South Shields. I saw the Lewin at Beamish the day it entered service after initial preservation as a well tank in red livery. I recall the day well as my motorcycle (by then!) blew up at the gates of Beamish. Thanks for posting your industrial photos, one of my interests having being born and grown up next to the Westoe electric system.

PhilH

Western Thunderer
The Industrial Railway Society are currently selling off some of their books at half price (slightly less for members) and I took the opportunity to buy the handbook on Industrial Locomotives of India and South Asia. This brought back recollections of a visit to India organised by the IRS some 43 years ago, and that's probably a good enough excuse for posting some of the photos taken on that trip here, if they're of interest - see how it goes.

The Saraya Sugar Mill at Sardarnagar, Uttar Pradesh, had a metre gauge connection to the Indian Railways metre gauge system and a 2'-6" gauge line from the mill to the cane fields. Track around the mill area was mostly in mixed gauge. In 1980 there were 6 locomotives present, three of each gauge, and a rather odd mix of types, all except one being ex public railways.

1. Saraya No.8 © PGH.jpg

Metre gauge No.8 TWEED one of 10 similar Class D locomotives built by Sharp Stewart in 1873. It was obtained from the Bengal & North Western Railway in 1933 and was in use shunting round the mill area. It was still noted working in 1997, then 124 years old !

2. Saraya No.8 © PGH.jpg

3. Saraya No.3 © PGH.jpg

A row of three out of use locos headed by metre gauge No.3 a 4-4-0 built by Dubs & Co. of Glasgow in 1883 also ex B&NWR.

4. Saraya No.5 © PGH.jpg

At the other end of the row was No.5 another ex B&NWR 4-4-0 built by Vulcan Foundry in 1884.

5. Saraya No.4 © PGH.jpg

Sandwiched between the two metre gauge locos was 2'-6" gauge No.4 (or 52) built by Hudswell Clarke in 1922. The only loco here originally built for industrial service. It was provided with a tender from new and later photos show it working without the side tanks.
This view was formed from three negatives stitched together so the perspective may seem a little distorted.

6. Saraya No.1 © PGH.jpg

In use but having some minor repairs was 2'-6" gauge No.1 ex North Western Railway 4-6-2 No.145 built by Kitson in 1918. For some obscure reason I missed taking this in colour.

7. Saraya No.2 © PGH.jpg

2'-6" gauge No.2 (or 54) arrived at the mill with a long train of loaded cane wagons. An 0-6-2 built by Kitson in 1900 and originally North Western Railway C Class No.85.

8. Railcars © PGH.jpg

The railway's passenger accommodation. The railcar was apparently powered by the engine from a Jeep, the vehicle in front no doubt by manpower.

9. Mixed Gauge Track © PGH.jpg

Some of the mixed gauge track around the mill area.

PhilH

Western Thunderer
Khatauli Sugar Mill, Uttar Pradesh, is approximately 60 miles North East of Delhi. It used a 2ft. gauge system to serve the cane fields until 1984, when the railway was replaced by road transport. In 1980 there were three steam locomotives and a small diesel present, and after closure the three steam locos were brought to the UK in March 1985.

11. Khatauli LION © PGH.jpg

LION Baldwin 44656/17 returning to the mill with a loaded cane train. The two Baldwin 4-6-0 locos were originally built for the WDLR trench railways in France during the First World War. After the war ended 50 of the locos were shipped to India where they were used in defending the Afghan border following the 3rd Afghan War, and they were later sold for industrial use in India.

12. Khatauli LION © PGH.jpg

After closure of the railway LION was acquired by the Amberley Chalk Pits Museum.

13. Chalk Pits LION © PGH.jpg

LION in the condition as originally imported at Chalk Pits Museum on 5th July 1987. I think this was the opening day of the narrow gauge railway at the museum. Now in black livery but with traces of the previous green livery showing through on the side tank. In 1994 it was moved to the Leighton Buzzard Light Railway. Restoration to working order in its original condition as WDLR No.778 was carried out by the Greensand Railway Museum Trust and it was first used in public service in August 2007.

14. Apedale WDLR 778 © PGH.jpg

Although normally based at Leighton Buzzard 778 has visited several other railways including the Apedale Railway, pictured here in September 1914 at the 'Tracks to the Trenches' event.

15. Khatauli TIGER © PGH.jpg

This is TIGER Baldwin 44699/17 under repair in the loco shed, although cutting the boiler in half seems a bit drastic ! It was reported in use after this visit so maybe it acquired a replacement boiler. It was acquired in the UK by the Imperial War Museum at Duxford and some work was carried out of a cosmetic nature. In 2003 it was placed on long term loan with the Welsh Highland Heritage Railway at Portmadoc who intend to restore it as a replica of the original WHR loco No.590 instead of its original WDLR number 794.

16. VoR WDLR 794 © PGH.jpg

Work under way on the restoration of Baldwin 44699 in the Vale of Rheidol Railway's workshop at Aberystwyth in September 2019, which included a new boiler built by Israel Newton.

17. Khatauli No.3 © PGH.jpg

No.3 CHEETAL was built by John Fowler of Leeds in 1923 one of a pair supplied originally to the Karachi Port Trust, probably for use in construction work taking place in the port at that time. It was later acquired by Khatauli Mill at an unknown date. Considering the other two locos were named Lion and Tiger, I originally thought the name was a misspelling of Cheetah, but in fact Cheetal (also known as Chital) is a species of deer native to India. After closure of the system it was purchased by Leeds Industrial Museum as part of their collection of Leeds built locomotives. It is currently at the West Lancashire Light Railway where there are plans to restore it to working order when sufficient funds are available.

18. Khatauli No.3 © PGH.jpg

The IRS special train about to leave the mill area for a trip to the cane fields. Note the provision of the 'special' seating provided for the comfort of the passengers !

PhilH

Western Thunderer
The Tata Iron & Steel Co. (TISCO) works at Jamshedpur was India's first indigenous steel plant, producing the first steel in 1912. It was built with American assistance and the majority of the locomotives either steam or diesel were provided by US builders.

21. TISCO #1 © PGH.jpg

Of the 39 total of 5'-6" gauge steam locos listed by the ILS, 27 were typical US 0-6-0 switchers built by Alco (20) and H.K.Porter (7). No.1 shown here on the scrap line was built by Alco at their Pittsburgh Works in 1909.

22. TISCO #12 & #18 © PGH.jpg

A further 12 0-6-0s were derelict in various forms of dismemberment including Nos. 12 and 17, both built by Alco in 1914 and 1920 respectively.

23. TISCO #35 © PGH.jpg

One 0-6-0 by H.K.Porter remained in working condition, although apparently it was its last day in steam and it had probably been cleaned up and steamed just for our benefit.

24. TISCO #6 © PGH.jpg

The works also had a 3'-0" gauge system partly on a high level gantry with an 0-4-0ST in use, built by Vulcan Iron Works, Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania in 1944.

25. TISCO #6 © PGH.jpg

A 'balcony' has been added to the rear of the cab with a rather bent roof. Note the coupler which can rotate sideways and has provision for two methods of coupling. This may also have been polished up and steamed for the visit as the line also had a couple of diesels.

26. TISCO C © PGH.jpg

Preserved on a short length of 3'-0" gauge track was this rather neat little Andrew Barclay 0-4-0T built in 1911.

27. TISCO #23 © PGH.jpg

Four large General Electric diesel electrics with 6 wheel bogies had been acquired secondhand, two had been overhauled and were in use although not seen on the visit. The other two including this one were apparently awaiting overhaul, although the bonnet at this end looks rather empty. Presumably the 'for disposal' on the cab was applied by the previous owners.

28. TISCO #70 © PGH.jpg

At the time of the visit the works had 55 diesel locos. These were double bogie or four wheel diesel electrics mainly by General Electric with a few others by Indian builders. No.70 is a 80 ton loco built by General Electric in 1958.

29. TISCO #99.jpg

No.99 was built by General Electric in 1954, a diesel electric with independent traction motors driving each axle. Note its precise servicing requirements painted on the bonnet !

30. TISCO #53 © PGH.jpg

An oddity photographed in front of the large loco shed and workshops was this severely restricted height 0-4-0 diesel built by Davenport in the USA.

31. TISCO #67 © PGH.jpg

Diesel No.67 in the works with a maze of pipework.

JimG

Western Thunderer
Phil,

I wonder if you can identify this type of locomotive :-

_nc_ohc=yZaoqJ4gGbkAX-nFwTe&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr8-1.jpg

It is seen in a woodyard in Dumbarton which had once been part of Denny's shipyard. It had previously worked in the Dumbarton gas works before it was shut down.

Dumbarton Castle fills the backround.

The woodyard is now gone and this is now the location of Dumbarton FC's football ground.

Jim

PhilH

Western Thunderer
The information with the Flickr photo isn't quite correct - it was actually the Aberdeen Gas Works Simplex that went to the Strathspey Railway - Motor Rail Works No.5763. The loco in the photo (MR 5762) was scrapped on site in November 1986 after rail traffic ceased at the sawmills.

C54026B.jpg

MR 5763 at Aviemore in September 1988. It was originally supplied to Inchgreen Gasworks, Greenock, moved to Aberdeen Gasworks in August 1964, then to the Strathspey Railway in 1973. Obviously named by someone with a sense of humour !

Fascinating stuff Phil, superb photos and videos of a bygone age. All very educational for those of us too young to have witnessed industrial steam in the UK (I had to visit Cuba for that). Having visited the uplands of Wales, all silent with nature encroaching again, it’s difficult to imagine the industry that went on there. Thanks to your photos it’s easier to imagine.

The Harton Electric railway and its operation is another interesting one to see. I’ve still got the Railway World Annual for 1989 in which 12 year old me was amazed to learn about the ‘Electric Coal Railway’.

Great to see these photos getting an airing. Having enjoyed Gordon Edgar’s series of books. Think there’s scope for a book of your photos accompanied by your very thorough explanations of the lines and the workings. If only there was a suitably persuadable book publisher on here….

Hope there’s more to come. There’s so much modelling potential within these old industrial sites.

Andrew

NickC

View attachment 156772

View attachment 156773

1501 at Coventry Colliery in September 1969 shortly before steam was replaced by two new Hunslet diesels.​

1501 was withdrawn by BR at Southall in January 1961 and moved to Swindon. The following month it was sold together with two other members of the class, 1502 and 1509, to the NCB for use at Coventry Colliery. The three locos were sent to the Bagnall works at Stafford for repair in June 1961, but no work had been done when the works were taken over by English Electric in July 1961 and a decision made to cease locomotive work at Stafford. The three locos were therefore sent to Andrew Barclay in Kilmarnock, but before they could be moved by rail the cylinders had to be removed as they would not clear the Scottish Region loading gauge. The cylinders were sent in wagons accompanying the locomotives. After repair and repaint in maroon livery they had to be transported to Coventry Colliery by road, 1501 arrived at the colliery in June 1962, the other two in August 1962 and March 1963.

1501 was saved for preservation on the Severn Valley Railway and moved to Tyseley for tyre turning in July 1970, arriving at Bewdley in October 1970. 1502 and 1509 were stripped of useable parts as spares for 1501 and other GWR locos and sent to John Cashmore Ltd. at Great Bridge for scrap in October 1970. After a long protracted restoration 1501 was first steamed in May 1997.

9792 at the part demolished (or part never completed ?) loco shed at Mardy Colliery in May 1970. It was acquired from BR Neath in March 1964 for use on the NCB's Aberaman System and transferred to Mardy Colliery in 1965. When photographed it was in light steam so possibly out earlier in the day or as reserve to the diesel then in use.

When photographed again in August 1970 it was out of use. In place of the missing numberplate on the cab side the lettering "Mardy No.4 9792" was crudely painted on, and chalked below was "your days are numbered" ! In 1973 it was sold to scrap merchant J.Mahony & Co.Ltd. of Newport, and scrapped there in September 1973.

9642 at the NCB's Maesteg Locomotive Shed in August 1970. Not strictly an industrial loco but a preserved loco which saw some use on an industrial system. 9642 was withdrawn in November 1964 from Old Oak Common and sent to R.S.Hayes Ltd., Bridgend Scrapyard, but instead of being scrapped it was used to shunt other locomotives in the yard. In 1968 it was purchased by the South Wales Pannier Group and moved to the NCB's Maesteg Locomotive Shed, where it was used to give occasional brake van rides over the NCB system. With the impending closure of the NCB system it was moved to BP Chemicals Ltd., Baglan Bay Works for storage in March 1985, thereafter moving to the Swansea Vale Railway Preservation Society at Llansamlet in April 1989, and later the Dean Forest Railway in 1998. It was purchased privately in 2005, and I believe it's currently under restoration for the Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway.

7754 was withdrawn by BR in January 1959 from Wellington, Shropshire. It was sold to the NCB in July 1959 and sent to Windsor Colliery, Abertridwr, South Wales. Its stay at Windsor Colliery was short as it was at Llanbradach Colliery by June 1960, then to Ogilvie Colliery in September 1962. After a repair at Tredegar Central Workshops it was sent to Elliot Colliery by June 1965, then Talywain Loco Shed in January 1969 from where it worked the 2½ mile line to Blaenserchan Colliery. After closure of the majority of the Talywain System in April 1970 (a short length of track remained in use to serve the nearby landsale yard with coal coming in from BR for another 4 years) 7754 was moved to Mountain Ash in May 1970.

View attachment 156777

7754 at the back of the loco shed at Mountain Ash in August 1970 with some work being carried out on the safety valves.

View attachment 156778

7754 at work in July 1971. It was withdrawn after a cylinder cover blew off in 1975. The NCB donated 7754 to the National Museum of Wales who placed it on permanent loan to the Llangollen Railway in August 1980.
I have a model of 9792 in Mardy condition. A modified Dapol fitted with radio control.
20230312_151214.jpg