7mm Ressaldar's kit building swansong - Class 22

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Today's plan of action was to white prime the nose ends in readiness for the yellow top coat(s) and while the primer dried, to get on with the simple task of installing the decoder and speaker. But.....

when it came to trying out the obvious site for the decoder, on top of the handy plinth provided (similarly for the speaker)

P1010816.JPG

the problem was only too soon apparent, not only would the screws that hold the body to the chassis foul the decoder

P1010817.JPG

there was also the small problem of the housings that the screws fit into to take into account!

P1010820.JPG

fortunately, I am only fitting the one motor, so the area around the second bogie is available. A packing piece to bring up the level,

P1010821.JPG

followed by a supporting plate over the entire decoder footprint,

P1010822.JPG

produces this result,

P1010823.JPG

and from the other side.

Placed on the track, fired up and sound on - and bingo a result.

So now it will be back to the painting, glazing, lights sequence, probably tomorrow morning.

regards

Mike

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Jordan,

I think that one motor will suffice, it is a Canon with a Slater's gearbox and certainly with no load, it fairly nips round the Club layout. I have now fitted the MX699ks decoder and will give it a good blow tonight and report back.

I like your idea of 1 + dummy for your F-units, fingers crossed it is the solution.

regards

Mike

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
More haste etc.................

I managed two coats of Warning Yellow on the ends last night, applied two hours apart, unfortunately when I checked this morning, whilst the spraying itself had gone ok, the colour was too 'Golden Yellow', it had to go. So out came the celly thinners, a sawn off 6mm artists brush and a good supply of kitchen towels and off came the paint! The units were then washed in soapy water, thoroughly rinsed in warm running water and left on a piece of kitchen towel on the window cill to dry off while I took the wife to the Doctors. All was nice a dry when we returned an hour later so out to the workshop and a fresh coat of white primer was applied. I then went to the local car factors shop, had a chat with the man that does who asked if I had a RAL number, (which I had courtesy of Warren Haywood's reply to me some years ago) 1003. Off he went 'out the back' and returned a few minutes later with a large paper cup/mixing bowl, we compared it to the photo that I had taken with me for reference and it was spot on, he disappeared and came out five minutes later with an aerosol can of RAL 1003 all marked up for me.

When I returned home, I just had enough time before lunch to apply the first coat, which was followed after lunch with the second coat, this was left to dry while the wife was beating me at Scrabble. I had decided not to apply any masking tape, I would use a scratch brush to clean up, after all the only other spraying to follow was going to be Rail Blue and that is quite dense.

P1010824.JPG
End A with the red and white running light lenses installed

P1010826.JPG
End B ditto

P1010827.JPG

close up of End B. I am quite pleased with the finish and hopefully it will be further improved with the weathering.

The desk/floor unit slides into a rebate within the cab and should be glued in and leaves a void under the floor and I am now looking into the possibility of cutting out the 'rebate' and supporting the floor on battens, it would still be glued to the sides and under the bottom of the windows which should enable access to the back of the light units - it is just a thought, one that does not come to mind until you are way past the stage that it would be easier to carry out.

All good stuff for the little grey cells, even at 77.

regards

Mike

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Jordan, I have now fitted the MX699ks decoder and will give it a good blow tonight and report back.

regards

Mike

Hi Jordan,

last nights trial run with the DCC decoder was great, fast and slow running was excellent and the acceleration/decelleration needed no adjusting either. Sound was just the right level too. YouChoos had done their usual brilliant magic.

Haulage trials will begin once the couplings are fitted.

regards

Mike

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
No progress on the cabs but between shopping trips and the like I have fettled and fitted the buffer beam pipework, using both 3D printed parts and also the lost wax pipes that are included in the kit. The coupling hooks were fitted using a 12BA washer either end of the replacement spring (the supplied springs were considered to soft) but this threw up a problem in as much as that while the slot for the hook was prototypical in being an horizontal slot, there was no provision for keeping the coupling vertical, the instructions seem to rely on friction from the (loose) springs to do the job!

20210926_143952.jpg

so I have 'engineered' a solution by taking a piece of 6mm x 1mm brass strip and forming a slit down the centreline wide enough to allow easy in/out movement of the hook and at the same time, giving it permanent vertical support, I simply superglued the piece into place and left it to dry. Solution repeated at 'A' end.

Tomorrow will see the window surrounds painted and later, the glazing installed.

regards

Mike

paulc

Western Thunderer
Hi Mike , this is an interesting build . Do you have the RAL number for BR Blue , i ask as you mentioned the yellow 1003 and i need to get some paint mixed here in Australia .
Cheers Paul

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Having put the plumbing on the buffer beam, I thought it best to apply the 'connection code' symbols while the area was still accessible using the set of waterslide transfers purchased from Precision Decals (John Peck)

P1010829.JPG

next up was to correct the width of the yellow 'wrap round' which I had badly mis-judged when I cleaned up after applying the warning panel yellow. This threw up a design error with the front cab side window in as much as the 'sweep' at the bottom front is not quite right if compared with the photos which will result in a larger 'blue wedge' on the model. We shall soon see once the sides are painted. The aluminium window frames have also been painted, using Vallejo acrylics, didn't realise that I could steady my hand that much!
P1010830.JPG

Time for yet another 'trial fit', the three body parts are just placed on the chassis here and I am quite happy with the fit.
P1010835.JPG

I have added some weight in the form of self adhesive car balance weights to the inside of the bulkheads, I will try to remember to take a photo for next time.

The inside of the upper cabs need a second coat which I will do next, followed by the glazing then the lights need installing using miniature multi pin plugs and sockets in the line to allow the body to be moved completely away from the chassis for maintenance purposes. Then the cabs can be permanently fixed and then the blue paint may be applied, which should only leave the buffers, side grills and door rails and transfers.

regards

Mike

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
Yes the front corner of the side window isn't quite correct, but are you sure your yellow isn't cut off a bit too far forwards as well? Compare it to the bodywork angle just ahead of the side window.
Just my 2p....
P1010830.JPG

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Yes the front corner of the side window isn't quite correct, but are you sure your yellow isn't cut off a bit too far forwards as well? Compare it to the bodywork angle just ahead of the side window.
Just my 2p....
View attachment 149615

The other option open to Mike is to paint it as GSYP and sell it to me. Sounds like the perfect solution if you ask me.

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Jordan and Larry,

I think that you can now see that the line down from the face of the window frame intersects the vertical at roughly the correct point that it intersects on the prototype, it is just that the wrong shape of the window frame gives a wrong rendition of the blue sweep that there is on the real thing. The masking tape is where I intended that it would go when preparing to spray the blue, but stopping at the end of the gutter, the yellow on the roof panel would be protected up to the cover strip which is blue.

P1010837.JPG

I had not applied any masking tape for the yellow application and as I said in post #72, I had cut back my over spray too much when I cleaned up so then had to mask off for the correct width of the yellow on the cab side. I think that the correct width yellow is more important than trying to get the blue 'sweep' right and ending up with a very wide yellow stripe, hopefully, it will draw less comments.

Having said all that, don't give up on your hopes Chris, there may still be a PM winging its way to you before the week is out!

regards

Mike

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Hi Jordan,

Even one Class 22 is as much as I could stand, at least until Dapol announce their RTR version - probably at the end of next week!

regards

Mike

They will at least wait until you've painted, numbered and fitted the final details. The announcement will come as soon as you place the completed model on the track to enjoy its first proper run...

Vulcan47

Hi Mike,

Your MM1 Class 22 kit’s coming along very nicely; I’m enjoying following the build.

I agree regarding the side windows, which appear wider on the prototype. Still it’s a model and there’s always compromise regarding accuracy compared with the prototype.

A Dapol Class 22 in 7mm is a nice thought, but I don’t think it will happen anytime soon. Hope I’m wrong as their OO gauge version’s very good, so a O gauge version would probably be even better.

However, the MM1 kit looks good and hopefully your endeavours will encourage others to purchase one and have a go themselves.

Best regards,

Matt.

Last edited: