7mm Rob's Rolling Stock Workbench

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Yesterday saw the build of the gas tank wagon complete.

My clumsiness when fitting the finely cast horse hooks saw one of them break in half in my hand so I fabricated some more from scrap etch they don't look as good as the cast ones but once under the paint and grime they will be almost unnoticeable.
IMG_6770_zps607234af.jpg

I also made up some more vacuum pipes from 1mm brass rod bound with 28 gauge brass beading wire and some rings of scrap etch. this gives the advantage of being able to secure them firmly to the bottom of the wagon floor as well as making them a bit more robust when being handled.

IMG_6775_zps601105d1.jpg

IMG_6769_zps5ab76caa.jpg

IMG_6767_zps02e27678.jpg

The following are both sides and ends as they stand.

IMG_6764_zps403a3eef.jpg

IMG_6763_zps1f8089ac.jpg

IMG_6762_zps344feddc.jpg

IMG_6761_zps9c9016db.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6770_zps607234af.jpg
    IMG_6770_zps607234af.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6775_zps601105d1.jpg
    IMG_6775_zps601105d1.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6769_zps5ab76caa.jpg
    IMG_6769_zps5ab76caa.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6767_zps02e27678.jpg
    IMG_6767_zps02e27678.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6764_zps403a3eef.jpg
    IMG_6764_zps403a3eef.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6763_zps1f8089ac.jpg
    IMG_6763_zps1f8089ac.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6762_zps344feddc.jpg
    IMG_6762_zps344feddc.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6761_zps9c9016db.jpg
    IMG_6761_zps9c9016db.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 0

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
The thunder storms haven't deterred me from getting the tank wagon primed, painted and varnished ready for it's transfers. Thank heavens for an indoor vented spray booth.

I apologise for the quality of the photo, I carried it to my office in a cloth and it seems to have left some specks of lint on the tank sides that have caught the light in the photos but are not in visible to the naked eye in reality.

IMG_6780_zps70256dc3.jpg

IMG_6778_zpsfbf5f633.jpg

IMG_6777_zps4370a12e.jpg

IMG_6776_zps956e0331.jpg

In hindsight perhaps I should have taken the photos while it had a flat matt finish......but you get the idea.

Attachments

• IMG_6778_zpsfbf5f633.jpg
    IMG_6778_zpsfbf5f633.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6780_zps70256dc3.jpg
    IMG_6780_zps70256dc3.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6777_zps4370a12e.jpg
    IMG_6777_zps4370a12e.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6776_zps956e0331.jpg
    IMG_6776_zps956e0331.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 0

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
In hindsight perhaps I should have taken the photos while it had a flat matt finish......but you get the idea

don't worry Rob, the cunningly applied weathering will sort it all out - even so , it looks the business:thumbs:

cheers

Mike

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
The gas tank wagon has joined the queue for transfers and frustratingly so still not having confirmation of my house completion date, I looked through the wagon kit stash for something else that wouldn't require too much in the way of thinking.

I plumped for a D&S GCR CCT. This is one of only 3 D&S kits that I have managed to get my hands on to date (if you don't count sunday night's eBay bargain of a D&S ECJS 45' BG for £81.55! - promptly stash away as a Christmas/Birthday pressie by Chris).

For a kit that has been around some time it is nicely detailed although the instructions leave a little to be desired.

The first thing that I noticed was the absence of a roof (the kit refers to a sheet of plastic that is absent from my 2nd hand kit). So having picked up a tip from Chaz Harrison on how to make clip in roofs' I decided to have a go at his method. - How it works will be detailed as I go along, but first off while everything was in the flat I made up some roof formers/supports from pieces of scrap etch.

IMG_6783_zps6c769481.jpg

Then I detailed the ends lot's of etched strapping to add - there are still some cast whitemetal blocks to go in the half etch rectangles but I will leave these until later so they don't drop off as I solder the body together.

IMG_6782_zpsee4ff03b.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6783_zps6c769481.jpg
    IMG_6783_zps6c769481.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6782_zpsee4ff03b.jpg
    IMG_6782_zpsee4ff03b.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 0

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Obviously D & S builds are like London buses. You don't get any for ages and then two come along together.

I guess from your comments, Rob, that these are kits you enjoy too.

Brian

Tony West

Western Thunderer
The gas tank wagon has joined the queue for transfers and frustratingly so still not having confirmation of my house completion date, I looked through the wagon kit stash for something else that wouldn't require too much in the way of thinking.

I plumped for a D&S GCR CCT. This is one of only 3 D&S kits that I have managed to get my hands on to date (if you don't count sunday night's eBay bargain of a D&S ECJS 45' BG for £81.55! - promptly stash away as a Christmas/Birthday pressie by Chris).

For a kit that has been around some time it is nicely detailed although the instructions leave a little to be desired.

The first thing that I noticed was the absence of a roof (the kit refers to a sheet of plastic that is absent from my 2nd hand kit). So having picked up a tip from Chaz Harrison on how to make clip in roofs' I decided to have a go at his method. - How it works will be detailed as I go along, but first off while everything was in the flat I made up some roof formers/supports from pieces of scrap etch.

IMG_6783_zps6c769481.jpg

Then I detailed the ends lot's of etched strapping to add - there are still some cast whitemetal blocks to go in the half etch rectangles but I will leave these until later so they don't drop off as I solder the body together.

IMG_6782_zpsee4ff03b.jpg
Rob, the instructions are from the 4mm original offering, the 7mm version ( as far as I'm aware) has not been marketed with a roof. Pete Cowling might well have a formed roof in his range.
Cheers Tony.

Attachments

• IMG_6783_zps6c769481.jpg
    IMG_6783_zps6c769481.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6782_zpsee4ff03b.jpg
    IMG_6782_zpsee4ff03b.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 0

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Obviously D & S builds are like London buses. You don't get any for ages and then two come along together.

I guess from your comments, Rob, that these are kits you enjoy too.

Brian

Hi Brian, I certainly do. The etches and castings are great although the instructions could always be improved up on but at least there are some. I plan a visit to Dan Pinnock at Telford to hopefully increase my stash:thumbs:

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Rob, the instructions are from the 4mm original offering, the 7mm version ( as far as I'm aware) has not been marketed with a roof. Pete Cowling might well have a formed roof in his range.
Cheers Tony.

Thanks Tony it's good to know that nothing was missing from the kit. I plan to roll one myself from brass sheet but thanks for the pointer at Peter Cowling. What materials are Peter's formed roofs made from?

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Rob,
They're vac' formed styrene.
Incidentally there are other ways of doing it. If you can make a former then damped cartridge paper will drape over the surface well, it can then be doped with shellac or even varnish to stiffen it up.
You might also try a balsa wood solid roof. This can be skinned with paper or even styrene sheet- use a contract adhesive if you fancy the latter. You'll find loads of techniques online for this method of construction as it's a good way of scratch building aircraft.
Steph

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Thanks for the thoughts Steph but now I have made the formers (see my next post:confused:) I will stick with the brass roof - I may cover it ultimately to represent canvas though.

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
A gent on another forum has asked a very good question that might be of interest to others - how did I cut out the roof formers.
First I measured the depth of curve of the roof - 10mm so I selected some etched of cuts that were 11mm deep to ensure that I could get the full curve (I have done similar in the past at just the right depth and ended up with a flat spot on the top of the curve).
I then used a square to mark horizontally across the inside of one of the ends (this was before I added any of the etched strapping which overhangs and would move the square out of true) at the top of the sides.
I used this as a datum to position the length of strip and then I used a pair of surgical clamps to clamp the strip to the end piece and then scribed the profile of the end on the overhanging edge of the strip.
Next using an old pair of jewellers shears (so old that they need the pivot screw tightening before each use!) to cut the curve of the roof on the waste side of the line and then the rather tedious filing back to the roof profile - I have left them slightly proud of the line at present until I assemble the body just in case I have made a mistake (working on the premise that I can take more off but I can't put it back!).

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Some time Last night saw the doors detailed and a start made on the representation of the runner mechanism.

IMG_6786_zps5393cbad.jpg

IMG_6785_zpsf6a1ac9e.jpg

And lastly a shot of the sides with the ends to give an idea for those that haven't seen one before an indication of what it will look like once assembled.
The strips along the bottom edge will be angled support brackets once I get the sole bars in place.
IMG_6784_zps2f03e3bc.jpg

There is still more work to do on the doors and runner mechanism before I finally attach them to the sides - hopefully tonight's effort.

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Hi Brian, I certainly do. The etches and castings are great although the instructions could always be improved up on but at least there are some. I plan a visit to Dan Pinnock at Telford to hopefully increase my stash:thumbs:

I rang Dan Pinnock today and arranged to collect one of his NER 25ton Bogie Road vans

A google search found the photo below to give an idea of what it looks like. It should go nicely with my L&Y van.

file.jpg

7mmMick

Western Thunderer
That's a lovely picture Rob and as you say it will go nicely. I'm going to have a good look at the D&S stand at Telford as I think his stuff is great. I'm hoping one day he'll do his 4mm NE ballast brake in 7mm, would save me another crack build. I know I always ask this but how long did the tool van last for ?

ATB Mick

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
A little more was done to the CCT last night. I managed to get one side finished and the other well on it's way - I would have finished it but I mislaid the bottom door runner.... after turning the workbench upside down without success I found it just as I was turning the light off.

This is what the completed side looks like.

IMG_6795_zpsf5e2e2de.jpg