4mm Ruabon Junction

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Another change: I have reverted to a ready-to-plonk Great Eastern buildings because it is more suited to a station serving a mainline. A narrow canopy was made up to complete...

WEB Ruabon station 1.jpg

The doors were painted in Western Region colours a few months ago, but I wasn't altogether happy with the building at that time. Painting the mouldings above the windows to represent engineering bricks has improved it's GWR standing.....
WEB Ruabon station 2.jpg

This building is narrower than the previous one and leaves more space to develop the forecourt...
WEB Ruabon station 3.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
The Up platform has now been built from 60thou Plastikard. Facing is embossed Plastikard. Platform edge slabs are 7mm scale which roughly represent 4' x 2' stone slabs (some stations used 3' slabs), while the platform surface is all 4mm slabs. The cut-out holds the station building, which effectively beds it in. Unfinished platform photographed early this morning.....

WEB Ruabon platform 1.jpg

The real Ruabon's platform is 9' 3" wide, then 11' 6" wide while the building is 19' 6" away from the platform edge. Mine is closer to save space....
WEB Ruabon platform 2B.jpg

The canopy had to be lowered ¼" with a corresponding amount off the support pillars. Platform as yet unpainted...
WEB Ruabon platform 3.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Scrap plywood was shaped to form a base for the forecourt, end loading platform and ground down to goods yard level...

WEB Ruabon yard 1.jpg

A surface was built up from scraps of cork sheet and sanded down when the PVA was perfectly dry....
WEB Ruabon yard 2.jpg

Real ash was sprinkled onto a thin coating of neat PVA and filed down to dust when dry. I have to make this ash stretch out seeing as there is no more. Clumps of long grass will follow to disguise some of the naughty bits (I ran out of cork!). Station platform and cattle dock currently remain removable ready for painting...
WEB Ruabon yard 3.jpg

Last edited:

paulc

Western Thunderer
Scrap plywood was shaped to form a base for the forecourt, end loading platform and ground down to goods yard level...

View attachment 126951

A surface was built up from scraps of cork sheet and sanded down when the PVA was perfectly dry....
View attachment 126952

Real ash was sprinkled onto a thin coating of neat PVA and filed down to dust when dry. I have to make this ash stretch out seeing as there is no more. Clumps of long grass will follow to disguise some of the naughty bits (I ran out of cork!). Station platform and cattle dock are remain removable like parts of a jigsaw ready for painting...
View attachment 126953
Hi Larry , your last three photos show how such a realistic scene can be built up with just three basic components, plywood , cork and ash . I'm starting to work out how your builds seem to come together so quickly, and there was me thinking you were out in the shed 28 hours a day .;) Great work mate .
Cheers Paul

LarryG

Western Thunderer
The new track in place. The track continues to curve off the point before doubling back into the bay platform, although it is exaggerated becasue of the telephoto lens. This is like the real thing (see bottom photo). So the double width canopy originally built for this platform can now be used....
WEB Ruabon track 11B.jpg
WEB Ruabon track 11C.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
A paper template traced off the inner rails was made before building the semi-island platform. After calculating the distance of the platform edge from the track, this template was used to form the shape....

WEB Ruabon platform 4.jpg

We have a a completed platform! The 1/8" cork was chiseled away from beneath this platform, as it needed to be lower than the Up platform due to track camber. It fits perfectly into the resultant recess and does not require gluing in place....
WEB Ruabon platform 5.jpg

The buildings were plonked on just to get a feeling for the place...
WEB Ruabon platform 7.jpg

View towards Shrewsbury.
WEB Ruabon platform 8B.jpg

Last edited:

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
Larry,
It all looks rather good to me. Mind you, I have just come back from my first visit to the pub, so my judgement might be a bit affected!
Keep up the inspirational work.
Dave.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
A full day was put in today, although you wouldn't know it. The barrow crossing parts were sprayed and set aside, then the station platforms were primed and sprayed. The colour of the platform slabs is my own concoction. The support bricks were sprayed engineering blue, then over-sprayed with rusty rails colour. The lot will be matt varnished tomorrow...
WEB Ruabon platform 10.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
The cattle dock and end loading bay was sorted this morning...

WEB Ruabon platform 12B.jpg

So too was the barrow crossing, fully glued in place...WEB Ruabon platform 13.jpg

Things will line up better once the two platforms have been glued down. They were matt varnished this morning. The footbridge is only plonked on hence the lean...
WEB Ruabon platform 13B.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Electrics are not my hobby. However, Adrian R. has given me the bus (buzz?) wire and has offered to assist next week. In the meantime, one of Hornby's best has been glossified and fitted with a chip for a friend so I thought I'd photograph it before despatch...
WEB Hornby Duchess 1.jpg

Hornby's new improved engine lake looks even better when glossed. The 'Duchess' is going to a layout where it can be fully justified....
WEB Hornby Duchess 2.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Forecourt surfacing completed and a W.Region railway van suitably modified and weathered to fit the scenery...
WEB Ruabon 36.jpg

Austin 5 Ton K4 van parked at the bottom of the slope. I worked on a pre-war Morris commercial BR van in my teens...
WEB Ruabon 36B.jpg

General view awaiting fencing, gates and lamp post. End loading, side loading, livestock and general goods taken care of. Coal as at another yard...
WEB Ruabon 36C.jpg