Prototype All in a days work

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
I've seen these repainted MkIV sets quite often in Leeds and I like the nod to the original INTERCITY red waist stripe.

Take away the crimson/purple window band to leave it white and it'll almost match DB IC livery.

Lancastrian

Western Thunderer
Increase it to a quartet..... :). I have an interest in electric locos. In fact I prefer electric locos to steam :rolleyes:.

Certainly different from my HO AL1 (class 81) which is a detailed Atlas Editions HO static model powered with re-wheeled Hornby class 67 trucks.

View attachment 185621

And definitely HO - here it is next to a detailed Roco HO DB Br 110. Both originally developed around the same time (Mid to late 1950s - 60s) for similar duties (Br 110 power output 3,700 kW and AL1 power output 2,390 kW)

View attachment 185622
Dave,

Quintet ! Back to my spotting days at Manchester Piccadilly if Victoria didn't appeal on the particular day, with forays to Wigan or Warrington on occasion.

Ian

mickoo

Western Thunderer
I've seen these repainted MkIV sets quite often in Leeds and I like the nod to the original INTERCITY red waist stripe.

Take away the crimson/purple window band to leave it white and it'll almost match DB IC livery.
I think that's all the 91 sets do these days, Think there are six sets left and all on Kings X - Leeds services.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
This thread is not helping quench deep burning embers.

More OHLE portals, this time just south of Milton Keynes in the mid 80's, flat out at a ton, maybe just a smidge more ;)

86 xxx_Ampthill_02.jpg

I really do need to scan more of my negatives and I really do wish I had taken more :(

I was born 5 years too late, by the time I had money and a decent camera, BR blue was all but over and whole classes decimated.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Make that three ;) I love the early AC locos and my layout ELJ will have a tiny bit of knitting up
View attachment 185616
View attachment 185617

Another AL6 has joined the fleet since

Paul
Nice models, tempting to swap to 4mm for those alone :)

One of my research anoraks is yellow panels on 25Kv locos, quite a few AL6 were delivered without it, yet some appear to have been repainted only months after building and still new ones were coming out without it. Finding photos of AL1-5 with yellow panels before 66 is also really hard.

PjKing1

Western Thunderer
I think that's all the 91 sets do these days, Think there are six sets left and all on Kings X - Leeds services.
There was a set in York today to, didn’t get chance if a pic though, I was tombusy hiding from passengers ;)

Paul

PjKing1

Western Thunderer
This thread is not helping quench deep burning embers.

More OHLE portals, this time just south of Milton Keynes in the mid 80's, flat out at a ton, maybe just a smidge more ;)

View attachment 185650

I really do need to scan more of my negatives and I really do wish I had taken more :(

I was born 5 years too late, by the time I had money and a decent camera, BR blue was all but over and whole classes decimated.
Cracking photo that, I used to have loads of photos not so many of the early 80’s mostly late 80’s early 90’s but they all got lost in a house move :'(

Paul

PjKing1

Western Thunderer
Nice models, tempting to swap to 4mm for those alone :)

One of my research anoraks is yellow panels on 25Kv locos, quite a few AL6 were delivered without it, yet some appear to have been repainted only months after building and still new ones were coming out without it. Finding photos of AL1-5 with yellow panels before 66 is also really hard.
That’s one of the reasons I returned to 4mm the choice in locos and units was far better and tempting, there’s some cracking photos of early AC locos, these aren’t mine but just some I’ve found whilst researching them.
IMG_2932.jpeg
IMG_2933.jpeg
IMG_4515.png

This might interest you though from 1965

Paul

mickoo

Western Thunderer
This probably won’t help either!

Or this if you skip to 1min 12 ;)

Paul
No it's not, the only thing holding back is it's 4 mm and I'm mainly 7 mm.

ESU Ecos controller?

How do you get on with that, might get one to upgrade from my Lenz Maus

mickoo

Western Thunderer
That’s one of the reasons I returned to 4mm the choice in locos and units was far better and tempting, there’s some cracking photos of early AC locos, these aren’t mine but just some I’ve found whilst researching them.
View attachment 185658
View attachment 185659
View attachment 185660

This might interest you though from 1965

Paul
E3093 Liverpool Lime Street Jul 65 is the earliest AL1-5 documented yellow panel I've found, yet some didn't get them until I think 68 and maybe 69, would need to check that though.

I found this rabbit hole a few weeks back and still haven't go through all the archive (because FB is crap at loading old pages/images as it's primarily aimed at the 'now' crowd and not historical data), must have collected near 1000 images in that time.

Glory Days Of Electrics | Facebook it's an open group so you don't have to be a member to view but you do have to have a facebook account.

PjKing1

Western Thunderer
No it's not, the only thing holding back is it's 4 mm and I'm mainly 7 mm.

ESU Ecos controller?

How do you get on with that, might get one to upgrade from my Lenz Maus
Morning Micro yep it’s an ECoS and I have to say it’s the best but if kit I’ve bought and well worth every penny. As for 7mm I was kind of reluctant at first to return to 4mm and EM but now I have I don’t regret it at all mate.

Paul

PjKing1

Western Thunderer
E3093 Liverpool Lime Street Jul 65 is the earliest AL1-5 documented yellow panel I've found, yet some didn't get them until I think 68 and maybe 69, would need to check that though.

I found this rabbit hole a few weeks back and still haven't go through all the archive (because FB is crap at loading old pages/images as it's primarily aimed at the 'now' crowd and not historical data), must have collected near 1000 images in that time.

Glory Days Of Electrics | Facebook it's an open group so you don't have to be a member to view but you do have to have a facebook account.
I do miss fb for the groups but I came off it the other year as it was doing my head in.

Paul

Western Thunderer
LNER have 8 sets of Mk 4 coaches plus a few spares. There are 12 class 91 locos still in service to haul these. Most of the diagrammed workings for the LNER Mark 4s are between King’s Cross and Leeds but there are two trains per day in each direction between London and York, plus a few trains to Bradford FS and Skipton that are booked for Mk 4 sets.

Transport for Wales purchased 52 of the Mk 4 coaches made redundant by the introduction of Azumas on the ECML. These are now in use between Swansea/Cardiff and Holyhead/Manchester. The coaches are still being modified and put into service, but the intention is eight sets of six coaches plus a spare driving trailer, with the remaining coaches as spares donors. The TfW Mk 4 sets are worked by a pool of modified Class 67 Diesels.

PjKing1

Western Thunderer
Photos from Leeds and York taken over the last two days.

First up entering Leeds yesterday with an early morning service to Hull
IMG_5255.jpeg
Having just passed another 91
IMG_5253.jpeg

After a quick walk around York this morning I managed to take this rather poor pic of a HST leaving
IMG_5265.jpeg

Passing a Neville Hill on our return from York heading to Liverpool on a service from Newcastle
IMG_5273.jpeg
FullSizeRender.jpeg
IMG_5275.jpeg
IMG_5276.jpeg
IMG_5277.jpeg

Paul

PjKing1

Western Thunderer
Two round trips to York today, the first one seen early morning sun shining down on these two, couldn’t catch the number but grabbed a quick snap of the 37 alongside 66429

IMG_5380.jpeg
IMG_5382.jpeg
IMG_5384.jpeg

The second trip was through rain but did grab a snap with this famous (ish) celeb, excuse the bloke in the right I ain’t very photogenic :confused:

IMG_5398.jpeg

Paul