BR Mk1 Limabuild coaches

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
Nice one Ross :bowdown: :thumbs: They are starting to take shape mate :thumbs:. I'm just in the process of doing the interior on my Easybuild RMB ;)
PS i dont seem to be able to see the last lot of pics though :(

Rob :wave:

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
They look like it Phill any way Ross what is that wierd looking contraption under the coupling and why are the buffers joined together with that link wire

Ian

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
iploffy said:
They look like it Phill any way Ross what is that wierd looking contraption under the coupling and why are the buffers joined together with that link wire

Oh, do try and keep up, that boy at the back..!!!
rolleye0011.gif

index.php

All was explained earlier... the wire between the buffers is to stop them rotating - the curse of many an oval buffer!! I like that solution!
Not sure what you're on about with "Contraption under the coupling, but in the picture above the bolts are holding the coupling in place, though I'm not sure why a) there's one in the centre or b) why the draftgear box has been cut away so much? Presumably because of clearance required by the bogie?

:thumbs: :thumbs:

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
Now you mention it yes you are right with a bit more tweeking it could be used to actually spring the buffers as well HHHHHMMMMM. Still interested in the drag box idea, Ross whats the reasoning behind that.

Ian

Excellent work Ross :thumbs:
Makes me want to have a go........i would only make a balls of it though :shit: :headbang: :))

S

Simon Dunkley

47423 said:
Makes me want to have a go........i would only make a balls of it though
Why not have a go, make a balls of it, find out why you did (it is usually impatience) and then make slightly less of a balls of it at the other end?
Be prepared to sacrifice a coach, hopefully one that is already a bit knackered anyway but with a body which can act as donor parts for other projects.
You can also practice slicing up the body sides with a mitre saw, and sticking them back together, filling, and smoothing.

What will you lose? A Lima coach.
What will you gain?
At least the satisfaction from having had a go, hopefully the realisation that you got better second time round, and maybe the confidence to do it properly the next time.

rosspeacock

Modelling on a £1200 table.
Phill Dyson said:
Those MK1 seats are nice, are they Easybuild too ?
Hi Phill, yes they were off Easybuild (well Richard handed me them from under the counter and I paid him for them, they could be a sideline of his) they are made of plaster of paris I think very nice though, will have to make false floor from plasticard as the middle of the coach is lower than the ends...  :wave: Ross...

rosspeacock

iploffy said:
Oh simon you are soooo right :D :D

Ian
Me Too +1 :thumbs: Simon, you are definately right, you can buy the most knackered coach you can find does'nt even need a roof or wheels, as most of it gets scrapped anyway ?15-20 tops....

rosspeacock

Jordan said:
Oh, do try and keep up, that boy at the back..!!!
rolleye0011.gif

index.php

All was explained earlier... the wire between the buffers is to stop them rotating - the curse of many an oval buffer!! I like that solution!
Not sure what you're on about with "Contraption under the coupling, but in the picture above the bolts are holding the coupling in place, though I'm not sure why a) there's one in the centre or b) why the draftgear box has been cut away so much? Presumably because of clearance required by the bogie?

:thumbs: :thumbs:
Hi Jordan I dont really know why I put a bolt in the centre :-[ :-[ (think its just as there was a hole I thought I'd better fill it  :scratch:) I had to cut some of the Draft gearboxes away due to bogie clearance issues, but I've decided to put the new Easybuild commonwealth ones on now so I had no need to cut them away... :thumbs: :wave: Ross...

rosspeacock

iploffy said:
Now you mention it yes you are right with a bit more tweeking it could be used to actually spring the buffers as well HHHHHMMMMM. Still interested in the drag box idea, Ross whats the reasoning behind that.

Ian
Hi Ian the coupling is just a standard O gauge Kadee available in plastic or metal (dont know ref number threw packet away) mine are the plastic ones. It looks slightly odd as I had to space it on some plastruct  away from body to align with the other coaches I've done and also had to cut some of the draft gearbox away due to bogie clearance issues, The buffers are already sprung but I have seen what you have suggested somewhere but I can't remember where, think the coupling sprung drawbar was off same wire (might have been a peco wagon???) :thumbs: Ross... :wave:

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
Ross how have you done the outer coach of the set i.e. sprung buffers it looks to me as if you could easily doctor your system to put a spring in the centre of the piece of wire there by springing it.

Ian

Simon Dunkley said:
Why not have a go, make a balls of it, find out why you did (it is usually impatience) and then make slightly less of a balls of it at the other end?
Be prepared to sacrifice a coach, hopefully one that is already a bit knackered anyway but with a body which can act as donor parts for other projects.
You can also practice slicing up the body sides with a mitre saw, and sticking them back together, filling, and smoothing.

What will you lose? A Lima coach.
What will you gain?
At least the satisfaction from having had a go, hopefully the realisation that you got better second time round, and maybe the confidence to do it properly the next time.
I only have OO . I would have a go at the coaches and get it right at some point........... :eek: :))
It would be the cost of the loco`s that put me off :eek: :eek: :eek:
I would love to have a go if it was not for the cost.

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
iploffy said:
Ross how have you done the outer coach of the set i.e. sprung buffers it looks to me as if you could easily doctor your system to put a spring in the centre of the piece of wire there by springing it.

Ian

Durrr should have looked up and saw the previous post :headbang: :headbang:

Ian

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
I tried connecting oval buffers with a screw link coupling once, but I ended up removing it as the limited travel of the buffers was not enough travel for the coupling  :scratch:.............unless Ross & Ian are talking about something totally different  :scratch: ??? ;D :))

Phill  :wave:

rosspeacock

Phill Dyson said:
I tried connecting oval buffers with a screw link coupling once, but I ended up removing it as the limited travel of the buffers was not enough travel for the coupling  :scratch:.............unless Ross & Ian are talking about something totally different  :scratch: ??? ;D :))

Hi Phill :wave: :wave: Ive only seen it done on a wagon before, I'm sticking with using Kadee 805's between coaches and premier components 3 links with drawbar/spring etc at the end of each rake, not so much for realism but just for ease of coupling to loco's etc (we all know Heljan have come in for some criticism for putting 3link/screw link coulpings on their new Mk1's)  :thumbs: Ross...

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
rosspeacock said:
Hi Phill :wave: :wave: Ive only seen it done on a wagon before, I'm sticking with using Kadee 805's between coaches and premier components 3 links with drawbar/spring etc at the end of each rake, not so much for realism but just for ease of coupling to loco's etc (we all know Heljan have come in for some criticism for putting 3link/screw link coulpings on their new Mk1's)  :thumbs: Ross...
The only other suggestion I could think of would be to have a dummy dropped Buckeye & just a hook ?  :scratch:

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
It's the system Peco use on there wagons I was thinking along these lines but I dont think it would work on coaches.

Ian

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
i agree with Ross. i tried screw coupling coaches together and had the same result :headbang:, so after a lot of thought 805 kadee's were used for the internal coaches of the rake :thumbs: but i did go for JLTRT drop head buckeye for the outer end coaches :thumbs: these were a little expensive at ( if i remember correctly ) ?12 pair :eek:. But as its only the outer ends and this would be for the rake i thought ok. :thumbs:

Rob :wave: