Johns LNWR gallery

Ian@StEnochs

Western Thunderer
Hi chaps
Thank you for your comments, I am hoping to make a reasonable job of the kit as it comes, with added detail. If I cant make the running plate look ok ill give your ideas a try. Lovely work on your loco Ian
John

Thanks John,

It's being reassembled after painting at the moment. Tender complete but still fiddling with the pipework on the loco.

Ian.

JimG

Western Thunderer
John,

Can the drivers slip if the chassis meets something like a buffer stop? If not you might find that there is a danger of burning out the motor if the loco is stopped for any reason when under power, or coupled up to a load which is too heavy for it. A method of adding ballast to a loco I have used in the past is to set the chassis turning and slipping and monitoring the current then adding the ballast until the current is the recommended maximum for the motor - and, if I remember correctly, the maximum running current for a coreless motor is quite a lot less than its stall current.

Jim.

Kevin MH

Western Thunderer
Thanks. I'm considering painting it with some gloss clear to aid in adhesion of the Fox transfers. Then a coat of satin clear coat. Regrettably I can't get the recommended paints here in Burbank. I may not be able to get Testors...I may be stuck with Rustoleum rattle cans. I'd really rather use my air brush for detailed application of the paint. Oh well, onward and upward. John, what is the status of the Cauliflower? I want to start mine, but I''m not going to until I see all your travails! I have two other engines started and a coal engine on the shelf.

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Hi Kevin.

Although it's 20 years or so since I was in Manhattan I used to visit the Red Caboose. I believe they are still there, somewhere. Wonderful shop with really enthusiastic staff. Could you get there easily, or even give them a call? They might be able to help.

I used to buy occasional bits for Steph when I visited Manhattan.

red caboose new york - Google Search

Brian

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Thanks. I'm considering painting it with some gloss clear to aid in adhesion of the Fox transfers. Then a coat of satin clear coat. Regrettably I can't get the recommended paints here in Burbank. I may not be able to get Testors...I may be stuck with Rustoleum rattle cans. I'd really rather use my air brush for detailed application of the paint.

Alclad II
produce lacquers suitable for airbrushing. There is a gloss and high gloss lacquer and are used by aero and car modellers.

They are available through US hobby stores and although Alclad list seven stores in California most are broken links and Burbank's House of Hobbies is the only one I found who have Alclad II on their website.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
According to Edward Talbot, author of An Illustrated history of LNWR Engines, the Special Tanks began to be lined out in 1890 if they were employed shunting passenger stock in station areas.

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Hi Kevin.

Although it's 20 years or so since I was in Manhattan I used to visit the Red Caboose. I believe they are still there, somewhere. Wonderful shop with really enthusiastic staff. Could you get there easily, or even give them a call? They might be able to help.

I used to buy occasional bits for Steph when I visited Manhattan.

red caboose new york - Google Search

Brian

Oops! Apologies - wrong coast! :'(

B

Kevin MH

Western Thunderer
Larry, yes, my special tank is my station pilot, so it really should be lined and vacuum fitted. The goods yard is shunted by the 4' shunter.

Dave, Thanks for the research and advice.

Burbank House of Hobbies is less than two miles from me. I get most of my supplies from them.

I experimented with the Testor's gloss lacquer thinned with Mr. Color lacquer thinner, over well cured Testor's enamel.

I think I am going to attempt to line the saddle tank as it is, and if necessary, if it is botched, remove the lining transfers with Micro Set. And THEN spray with gloss, if necessary.

I have a thread on RMWEB featuring my new LNWR layout, in the 7mm section. LNWR in Burbank California is the title. A very new layout, mostly Peco track laid and proven.

Last edited:

paulc

Western Thunderer
Good luck John , as you can see i chickened out .
Cheers Paul View attachment 151569
Sorry Kevin for calling you John not that there's anything wrong with the name John . When i was researching for the paint job on my special tank the thing i noticed was that in most pictures the lining was almost impossible to see . Thats my excuse .