Kingswear for Dartmouth

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
A new website to catch up with progress on 'Kingswear for Dartmouth' in P4.

We'll expand it as the job progresses, but there's already some interesting modelling to see, and some of the research is included to provide background info.

Hope you like it so far........My Site

View attachment 126954

Your main web site is one of my regular haunts Paul, but due to the large amount of content, it’s easy to lose track of what’s going on sometimes. A dedicated Kingswear web site, is a great idea! :thumbs:

Regards

Dan

Last edited:

jonte

Western Thunderer
Hello, Paul, and welcome to the forum.

Your model is already magnificent and your website reminiscent of an MRJ article. Nice.

Would you be kind enough to share details of your traverser which looks quite substantial?

Looking forward to future updates.

Jonte

Last edited:

Alan

Western Thunderer
My layout Kingsbridge Regis, its still on here in the Wencombe, Kingsbridge Regis thread in Layouts, was very loosely based on a mirror image version of Kingswear. Nowhere near as good as yours.

Lancastrian

Western Thunderer
Paul,

That back scene is amazing. I've just had a look at your own website and I wasn't aware it was you who worked on Bucks Hill. I have just shared both your own and Kingswear websites with friends in the SR7mm Group for some inspiration during this time of no exhibitions.

Keep up the great work.

Ian

PJBambrick

Really appreciate all the positive comments, and I know both Paul Woodward, (the layout owner) and Neil Podbery are very pleased with the support and encouragement. There are many others who have contributed their time and effort to this build along the way, so there's a debt of gratitude to them as well. All we have to do now is to KBO till it's done!

Paul W

Hello, Paul, and welcome to the forum.

Your model is already magnificent and your website reminiscent of an MRJ article. Nice.

Would you be kind enough to share details of your traverser which looks quite substantial?

Looking forward to future updates.

Jonte
Hello Jonte - thank you for your interest and kind words about our efforts so far. The traverser is indeed a hefty bit of kit which came, in very rudimentary form, with the embryo layout when we initially inherited it, some seven years ago now - I'll do a description on the website shortly as part of the history of the acquisition with some notes on its construction.

jonte

Western Thunderer
Hello Jonte - thank you for your interest and kind words about our efforts so far. The traverser is indeed a hefty bit of kit which came, in very rudimentary form, with the embryo layout when we initially inherited it, some seven years ago now - I'll do a description on the website shortly as part of the history of the acquisition with some notes on its construction.

Hello, Paul, and welcome.

Waiting with baited breath as I'm sure are many fellow Westerners.

Many thanks.

Jonte

vonmarshall

What a wonderful model and a great website.

There is something very evocative about a mainline express train on a single line meandering alongside a river and it is that feeling that I am aiming to replicate in my garden.

I did see something very interesting on the website and hoped that somebody may be able to expand upon...

Cross checking on the Shed Bash site shows 5028 Llantilio Castle as being there on 30 September 1945, and again in 1951, so pretty good justification all round for this being one of our named engines eventually. 5024, Carew Castle is not mentioned on the specific dates surveyed, but that’s not to say it wasn’t sometimes there, as Percy recalled.

Mention is also made of an engine running the afternoon service from Kingswear to Paddington on a Sunday, if it had no work allocated at Paddington, then returning to Kingswear double headed on the Torbay. Not necessarily another ‘Castle’, though possibly, and double heading is certainly something we have noticed on a number of photos, and will be nice to reproduce.

I don’t suppose anybody here knows where I can find anymore info about this do they?

PJBambrick

Thanks very much vonmarshall and sorry for reply delay....I'll post some more progress pics next week.

Paul W and Neil are still consulting with colleagues about which locomotives to run, but I know they have referred to the:

Newton Abbot to Kingswear Railway (Oakwood Library of Railway History)
by C.R.Potts
  • Paperback: 352 pages
  • Publisher: The Oakwood Press; 2nd edition edition (19 May 2014)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0853617333
  • ISBN-13: 978-0853617334
There are a number of articles in the Wild Swan GWRJs as well

Great Western Railway Journal

Creek Bridge.jpg

PJBambrick

Just a note about the traverser, which has prompted questions from a number of
modellers interested in such things. It is undoubtedly large – over ten feet long
and four feet wide, incorporating nine tracks, and very heavy with its new
Dexion frame. It had originally been part of hidden sidings on Mike Casey’s
layout, but has been adapted and stabilised for our purposes, and extended a
little to include a loco turntable. The sliding system consists of three solid steel
transverse rods, of about 1 inch in diameter, located beneath the two ends and
the centre of the board, with two roller bearing housings running on each,
screwed to the underside. I believe it is a system used more commonly in the cnc
machining industry.
In any event, it can be moved with the lightest of touches. Manual operation for
the moment, but we are investigating the possibility of some kind of stepper
motor control and indexing, with a view to the precise lining up of each of the
tracks with the exit line.

kings.jpg

kings 3.jpg

kings 2.jpg

jonte

Western Thunderer
Just a note about the traverser, which has prompted questions from a number of
modellers interested in such things. It is undoubtedly large – over ten feet long
and four feet wide, incorporating nine tracks, and very heavy with its new
Dexion frame. It had originally been part of hidden sidings on Mike Casey’s
layout, but has been adapted and stabilised for our purposes, and extended a
little to include a loco turntable. The sliding system consists of three solid steel
transverse rods, of about 1 inch in diameter, located beneath the two ends and
the centre of the board, with two roller bearing housings running on each,
screwed to the underside. I believe it is a system used more commonly in the cnc
machining industry.
In any event, it can be moved with the lightest of touches. Manual operation for
the moment, but we are investigating the possibility of some kind of stepper
motor control and indexing, with a view to the precise lining up of each of the
tracks with the exit line.

]

Bullet proof!

Most ingenious, Paul, as well as being ‘re-cyclable’ ;)

Thank you for sharing and good luck with the new initiative.

Jonte