7mm On Heather's Workbench - North Eastern interlude

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
AD8145EB-0113-4724-AA58-FB4A5EF6A89E.jpeg

A small diversion. The all third interior was missing one WC panel moulding. I spent part of this morning making a replacement as a mirror of the part I do have.

The coaches will be finished in early- to mid- 1960s livery, but I assume most of the interiors retained their varnished teak charm and tired LNER moquettes.

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
I can’t settle today. I can’t work out why. So, I’ve been pecking away at odds and ends.

7036CD98-E53B-4BEC-94F3-548005DC1411.jpeg

I received a small package in the mail today. @Rob Pulham kindly sent me a pair of his lovely brake stands. Much better than my bodged effort.

4C7E9254-3ECE-4203-8586-59946A203C20.jpeg

See?

076134C0-B567-40CD-93A1-6AA027E78209.jpeg

I begun to mark out the guard's arrangements for the full brake.

3A8EB8DD-BF11-47FC-9067-55914D6864BE.jpeg

And I found some etched grilled material. I think there’s enough there to make a pair of basic letter racks. Although I only need make an impressionist rack, sufficient to appear the right shape viewed through a small window and in the unlit gloom, I will undoubtedly go completely overboard.

paulc

Western Thunderer
Hi Heather , i was about to suggest that you chop a bit out of the net curtains and then run super glue over it to stiffen the material . This would make your letter racks but then you found the grill stuff so jobs right .
Cheers Paul

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
That looks really good

Cheers Richard! I’m always in danger of going completely overboard, so I’m happy with the fairly impressionistic way things have turned out. It’ll look about right when glimpsed through windows, and hopefully would pass muster if lighting was ever installed.

Thanks, of course, to @Mike Trice for his help with drawings and photos - both here and offline.

A primer coat

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
After some more fussing about with interior bits and pieces, I’ve bitten the bullet.

60787A50-7797-4CDA-8BC1-9C51FD52CFDA.jpeg

FE3EFE1F-2A4A-4543-85A0-16772C731280.jpeg

5F3C67CA-EC71-46FE-BA0C-B46EEBA5DA9A.jpeg

Primer on the bodies and roofs. It’ll make a nice change not seeing the Milky Bar cream any more. I need to set up for primer on the various internal parts, and then I can begin to seriously think about livery paintwork.

My problem with painting is having to set up the gear on the bench. It sort of hogs things, and it makes sense if I can arrange for several models to be going through the process.

Undersides painted

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
5B3C2A44-36AE-4305-A96D-0EA7EF1246A8.jpeg

I need to order more paint. A rough mix of matt black and matt brown enamels made a batch for three underframes and two pairs of bogies.

No, really. I need to order more paint! I’ve cleaned out the black and brown enamels in my colouring box!

Anyway, I’ll inspect that lot in daylight tomorrow. If I’m happy, I’ll leave well alone so it all hardens nicely. Then, getting the main livery colour on the sides will be next.

Exciting times.

Interior painting starts

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
That was a half decent weekend. Being self-employed, I tend to work when the muse is upon me, and after a rocky week where my brain went on a go-slow I felt I needed to try and catch up.

2C246760-CAA4-4BF6-A5D0-FFB2B0211EF7.jpeg

So, what did I do. I brush-painted the roofs in a dark grey. It’s not as matt as I’d like, but a good basis for weathering and matt varnish later. The main interior parts were given a base coat of something sand coloured. I’m still poking around for good colour images to show the interior woodwork, but this is a good start.

8BF74767-5B13-4DDA-A5FC-027703327B28.jpeg

The same sand colour went on the brake compartment details. I’ll leave these this base colour, and just varnish.

E97595E9-233B-469E-ADE6-E3883225510B.jpeg

All three bodies got the sand treatment, too. I rather think I’ll get the interior colours done before painting the outsides. This is partly because blobbing paint through windows won’t matter so much, and it’s easier to handle things as they are at the moment. Although they’ll barely be seen, I will mark out where the door shuts go, and quite possibly paint the door insides a different colour. Photos seem to show dark stain or varnish on doors, particularly in the brake compartments.

So, now the brain cell's industrial inaction seems to have passed for now, I look forward to a productive week.

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Thanks Mike!

BDE91A73-5F51-4555-8E9A-2526BFD081DF.jpeg

I may have gone too orange. This is Humbrol 62 over 83. I have a "mahogany", so once these coats are thoroughly dry I’ll see how a dry-brushed grain looks. While some panels are quite visible through windows, I’m heading for an impressionist interpretation of the colouring rather than a full scale replica.

In other news, I’m experimenting with hand-painting the livery colour. I’ve given some panels and doors on the full brake a first coat of maroon, and I’ll see what I think tomorrow. The grey primer is making the colour look very LNWR plum at the moment, so it’ll need a couple of coats to get the right depth. Brushing may impart some grainy texture to the panels, which may suit the finish better than a smooth airbrush finish.

I’ll live to regret this! :))

Overseer

Western Thunderer
A second brushed coat of maroon on the test panels. I think it looks okay, but I’ll see how it appears after a third coat before I make a final decision.
No........ It will end in tears. There is no reason to expect to see wood grain through the paint. I haven’t noticed any in photos. The teak was kept well varnished while in service and an undercoat would have flattened any ‘grain’ before the relatively thick BR top coats were added. Airbrushing will look better, be quicker and less stress.

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
More thinks on the interiors, while paint dries. What do we reckon the third class seat moquette would’ve been in the late '50s and early '60s?

I'd love to do the pre-war brown jazzy pattern, but I rather think it’ll be a dull red with tiny black crosses or similar. Or I could do one coach in one pattern and the other… :D :drool:

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Heather,

I suggest that the most thorough restoration, so far, of a Gresley wreck into a gorgeous carriage is the brake third no. 3669. The coach is part of the teak set on the NYMR... and was restored off-site which may explain why there is a superb blog of the restoration progress. There are photos of the new seating moquette.

regards, Graham