Re: Union Pacific in Oldham

rjr

Western Thunderer
Union Pacific in Oldham

I'm sorry to say I have a confession to make.... My new layout is going to be a Union Pacific affair !!!!!!!!!!!!!  I have sold the N gauge stuff and with the funds transferred to my paypal account I've had a bit of a spending spree on EBAY..

I blame Jordan :)

John

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
Confession Time

rjr said:
I'm sorry to say I have a confession to make.... My new layout is going to be a Union Pacific affair !!!!!!!!!!!!!  I have sold the N gauge stuff and with the funds transferred to my paypal account I've had a bit of a spending spree on EBAY..

John

As my dad says you've no one else to blame except yourself and Jordan and E bay and paypal etc

Ian

rjr

Western Thunderer
Confession Time

So, I have on the way Bachmann A GP35 In Union Pacific livery

upgp35.jpg

A Bachmann U36B in Union Pacific Livery

and an Athern GP40 in Chessie Livery

I also have bids in on several boxcars.

The layout will be on either side of the shed appropriately 6' by 20" each side, connected by a curve under what will be my new workbench across the back wall.

Each half of the layout will offer shunting (or should I say switching potential) Perhaps an inglenook on one side and a timesaver on the other

The larger workbench will accommodate room to build the next 2 G scale locos i have planned for the winter nights.  A Baby deltic and a copy of the GP35 (Something for everyone :)

John

28ten

Guv'nor
Confession Time

rjr said:

John

We always blame Jordan  ;D
A bit of a change isnt always a bad thing, and it is cheap enough to have a little play, although you might want to get a microscope......

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
Confession Time

Yep, it's all my fault... part of a subliminal plot to make Area 51 the biggest part of the Forum... 8)  ;)

rjr said:
Each half of the layout will offer shunting (or should I say switching potential)
You've got a whole new language to learn now... :D :D

... to build the next 2 G scale locos ....  A Baby deltic and a copy of the GP35 (Something for everyone :) )
Baby Deltic..?? That's not Dark Side..?!? Not succumbing to public opinion already..? :vista: Then again it isn't Hydraulic so you still won't appease the masses around here with that...
scared0016.gif

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
Confession Time

I know what it is, he's seen that video of the tight turning circle and looked at the room in his shed and said HMMMM that will fit in there wont it so I wont need a bigger shed :thumbs: :thumbs:.

Ian

rjr

Western Thunderer
Confession Time

iploffy said:
I know what it is, he's seen that video of the tight turning circle and looked at the room in his shed and said HMMMM that will fit in there wont it so I wont need a bigger shed :thumbs: :thumbs:.

Ian

Rumbled !!

rjr

Western Thunderer
Confession Time

I have created a basic plan of the shed, to illustrate the space available. Including the new workbench over the now hidden curve section.

emptyshed.jpg

Doodles of track plans to follow

John

rjr

Western Thunderer
Confession Time

I've got to the bottom of the clean up operation. Everything is packed away, thrown out or stripped. I need to get a piece of worktop for my new workbench that will sit right across the back wall.

SDC17572.jpg

The right side  ( The 25 and coach will sit on the back of the worktop when its fitted.

SDC17578.jpg

I've been playing with what track I have (thoughts ??)

SDC17573.jpg

SDC17574.jpg

And today the postman brought my first Ebay purchase

SDC17575.jpg

John

rjr

Western Thunderer
Union Pacific in Oldham

I've spent time popping in and out of the shed today, tweaking and moving track around to get to a point I'm reasonably happy with.

So here we are, from the dock end

SDC17593.jpg

SDC17594.jpg

From the other end

SDC17591.jpg

SDC17595.jpg

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
Union Pacific in Oldham

That looks very nice in an American sort of way. What happened to the last picture it went a bit wonky I know it's thinking of copying a Steve Beattie 23 aint it ;D ;D :headbang: :headbang:

Oh and by the way we all blame Jordan

Ian

rjr

Western Thunderer
Union Pacific in Oldham

The forum picture placeholders musn't be working properly, looks like the picture has slipped  ;D :scratch: :headbang:

I found it quite hard not making the track layout look UK based, my natural thoughts are to put things in nice straight parallel lines, but having spent hours looking at google images, US track seems to be more flowing and "curvey" perhaps its just the pictures I looked at of course !!!

rjr

Western Thunderer
Union Pacific in Oldham

Yes thanks Ian,

Shortliner on RMweb has been emailing hundreds of plans, even sent me some on a CD :) including a link to the thread you put up, he has also been bouncing ideas back and forward as my track plan developed, in fact the original idea of having the car barge was from an article he put on Karl Ardnets micro layouts site.

John

rjr

Western Thunderer
Union Pacific in Oldham

Ive spent a pleasant evening exploring the contents of the bag of detailing bits that came with my Ebay Athern loco. It would seem having to add the extras (like handrails) is not unusual, this has turned out to be a good buy as looking at the wheels it has never been out of the box

Anyway here is how it looked before

SDC17590.jpg

After adding details like, handrails, horn, headlight lenses, number board lenses, bogie details, couplers and hoses.

SDC17602.jpg

It makes a big difference to the appearance, the parts were well made (stanchions and rails individual steel pieces)

Just out of interest I googled "Chessie 4167" and came up with this

4167cs-co.jpg

http://www.trainweb.org/chessiephotos/p ... cs-c&o.jpg

A bit dirtier than mine !