Re: Union Pacific in Oldham

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
Union Pacific in Oldham

iploffy said:
Are you keeping the pristeen look or are we going to get filthy
I was going to say "a bit of weathering for you to get your teeth into"... but let's give the lad a break, eh? He's still recovering from his descent into the Darkness 8) .... and doing very nicely too by the looks of it  :thumbs:

By the way, if everyone is blaming me, then I blame Shortliner............. :bowdown:

rjr

Western Thunderer
Union Pacific in Oldham

Cant say its thrilling work but the track needs power so it needs doing, I don't mind soldering and when all said and done I served my time at GEC as an Electrical/ electronic engineer so it should be fun, but its one of those has to be done jobs !!

The layout will be DCC so its pretty much a case of making sure I have power to every spur, now I know my method is not the "done thing" but it works for me, I find no pleasure in sitting under the workbench soldering droppers and bus wires. My own experiences has been that for a layout in a 8 x6' shed, any voltage drop caused by having no bus wires is negligible. So all I do is solder a pair of thin link wires to each point as this...

SDC17624.jpg

On link red circled rail to red circled rail and like wise on link between the blue circles, you can just about see them. This means which ever track the insufrog blades select all spurs are live. I than just have a single feed to the neck of the yard. More or less DCC with 2 wires. The main thing is it works.

Once each point has

been linked as above the whole lot got a spray with sleeper grime.

SDC17619.jpg

I'm pretty happy with the "artistic, sweeping curves"

In the last picture the observant that some stock has arrived, the post man delivered 3 boxcars I won on ebay..

SDC17613.jpg

SDC17616.jpg

SDC17615.jpg

They are bigger than I had expected, yes I know 50' in 1:87 is something I could should have worked out but there we go, the only problem I have found is the mocked up barge is 60mm too short to hold 2 cars on each track, I guess I'll make the proper one bigger.

SDC17622.jpg

SDC17630.jpg

John

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
Union Pacific in Oldham

rjr said:
...More or less DCC with 2 wires. ....

I'm pretty happy with the "artistic, sweeping curves"
2 wires... as was first promoted that was all DCC needed... :scratch: ::)

The artistic sweeping curves are very nice - the use of large radius points always helps, too :thumbs:

[s:3dft448w]BTW, hope "granny" and "suck eggs" doesn't apply, but the yellow 'Libbys' boxcar is a Reefer. (Refridgerated Boxcar, not a
character0011.gif
...) You can tell by the grilles on the end, where the diesel engine is. :thumbs:
Just thought I'd mention it; a Food Processor or Cold Store makes a good industry to have. ;)[/s:3dft448w]
(Just read your thread on RMweb... and another Poster's "advice" re the Reefer...  ::)
Another Secret Darksider comes back to the fold, eh?!? :scratch: :thumbs: :bowdown: )

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
Union Pacific in Oldham

Looking at that picture I seem to remember looking at something on u tube about a dock wharf type thingy where the trains had to run round a circular track almost around a warehouse and then they were backed onto a barge.

Ian

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
Union Pacific in Oldham

yes I know what a way to run a railway Hornby 1st radius curves will never be able to be mocked again. If you have not see it watch the video

Ian

rjr

Western Thunderer
Union Pacific in Oldham

My last ebay purchased loco arrived yesterday, not sure where route it took to get here, but the posted mark on it proves it was posted on the 5th and it arrived on the 13th ???? Post office must have sent it the long way round. Never mind.

SDC17633.jpg

This one is a Bachmann product, brand new, ?30 runs VERY well straight out of the box and now has a decoder fitted. I only spent an hour in the shed last night so not much to report. I have started to try and improve the looks of the first loco I got by closing the rather goofy looking gap which was to allow a bogie mounted coupler to swing, the plan is to mount the coupler on the body now.

Before

SDC17584.jpg

Now

SDC17634.jpg

Still a long way to go but I think it will improve the looks.

Finally, yesterdays day job was laying a large laminate floor for a customer, I noticed how slippy the laminate planks were when up-turned  so one of the offcuts got cut to "barge size" it slides very nively on the blue vinyl tile its sat on, and is now long enough for 2 cars.

SDC17635.jpg

John

S

Simon Dunkley

Union Pacific in Oldham

Because there is a brutish charm, perhaps?

Attachments

• GP38 on EL quay.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
Union Pacific in Oldham

I could actually agree but I think its got more to do with the fact they run trains as they are meant to run miles long with more than 1 loco for very long distances. I seem to be fascinated by the wheels passing over rail joints and the rythmic sound produced .

going to lie down now not feeling too well

Ian

rjr

Western Thunderer
Union Pacific in Oldham

Stunning Simon !!!

For me I do like the fact the locos do look like they mean business, but I also like the whole idea of single cars servicing industries along the way. I admit to being unschooled in all things prototype but unless you want to model steam, UK trains seem to be rakes of multiple wagons going from one place to another, yes they do that on a grand scale over the pond, but the whole shortline idea captivates me.

S

Simon Dunkley

Union Pacific in Oldham

Jordan said:
Very nice indeed and an "unusual" scale... do tell more!! :scratch: :thumbs:
Not that unusual over there: there is a reasonable RTR base, although they think they invented S scale (sorry, we beat 'em to it) and generally it is associated with tinplate, somewhat akin to pre-war Hornby-Dublo over here.

The Geep was one of a batch produced by Overland in the 80s: they also did some Alco S4s (how I would love one of those!) and I managed to pick it up on Ebay last year for less than ?300 including p&p - it would probably have cost me more than that when new! And when I bought it, it had DCC sound fitted, too.

I also have an SW9 from S Helper Service, and a GP9 from American Models which I made a start on chop-nosing ages back, but haven't progressed for years. Oh, and about 20 freight cars - mostly rib-sided 50' box cars, but one or two others in there.

One day, a New England shortline may get built!

Attachments

• Are you having a larf, mate.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 0

rjr

Western Thunderer
Union Pacific in Oldham

My last 3 expected Ebay deliveries arrived today. A 50' boxcar with opening doors, a 57' reefer and a truck !

SDC17638.jpg

SDC17640.jpg

I then had a inspiration moment, why not extend these 2 tracks under the workbench. So now instead of holding 1 1/2 cars both will hold 3.

SDC17641.jpg

Workbench shown in transparent grey

I'm not sure if these 2 tracks will enter into a warehouse or perhaps a roadbridge along the front of the of the workbench over all of the tracks

John

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
Union Pacific in Oldham

Simon Dunkley said:
Not that unusual over there: there is a reasonable RTR base, although they think they invented S scale (sorry, we beat 'em to it) and generally it is associated with tinplate, somewhat akin to pre-war Hornby-Dublo over here.
I was aware S Scale isn't so unusual in the US, both "American Flyer" and 'scale', and there's been an S Scale US-outline layout on the Show circuit in the UK in recent years; I didn't know any brass was done. S Scale sounds most appealing; bigger than OO/HO but not so big as O; what put me off was the prices (surprise surprise!!) which are on a par with O scale, and not so much available. There was some Soo S Scale stuff on Ebay recently (from a chap I 'know' via the Interweb, and have bought O scale from before)... it was a temptation I managed to resist, this time...
The All-Imperial measurements of S Scale make it seem quite apt for British models, I think. Seems a real pity that it remains very much a "Steam/Scratchbuilder's" scale over here; I'd like to see what BR Blue diesels would look like in 'S'... doubt it'll ever happen though. :(

Sorry, John, have your thread back... :wave: :bowdown:
As your mainline dives under the workbench too, I'd be inclined to go for the road overbridge, myself... :scratch:

S

Simon Dunkley

Union Pacific in Oldham

Jordan said:
The All-Imperial measurements of S Scale make it seem quite apt for British models, I think. Seems a real pity that it remains very much a "Steam/Scratchbuilder's" scale over here; I'd like to see what BR Blue diesels would look like in 'S'... doubt it'll ever happen though. :(
Pay attention at the back there, Jordan: what about this?
And keep an eye on this forum... ;)
Sorry, John, have your thread back... :wave: :bowdown:
As your mainline dives under the workbench too, I'd be inclined to go for the road overbridge, myself... :scratch:
I agree - the basic non-nonsense beams on pillars approach much favoured in the USA would be ideal.