Sheep blokes weathering.

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Thanks Alan.

I'm hoping to do something similar to my little Hornby R&H 48Ds.

It's going to be the main motive power for a small industrial project that I have in mind.

In fact, I hope the whole thing will look a little like the above............

Rob

Last edited:

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Morning all.

Latest addition to the Bleat Wharf roster is one of the new LMS 20T brake vans from Hornby.

Not quite finished as yet. I tend to leave the final weathering for a day or two, preferring to cast a fresh pair of eyes over proceedings.

Here's the current state of play.

Rob. 20191229_070844-01.jpeg

AdeMoore

Western Thunderer
Some amazing work in these 4 pages Rob, looking forward to an article on your methods.
Truly astounding stuff. Something I can only dream of getting close to.
May see you at Edington I see your down as an exhibitor.
Cheers
Ade

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Some amazing work in these 4 pages Rob, looking forward to an article on your methods.
Truly astounding stuff. Something I can only dream of getting close to.
May see you at Edington I see your down as an exhibitor.
Cheers
Ade

Very kind of you, Ade. I shall look forward to meeting you at Edington where Bleat Wharf is due to appear. I shall have a good selection of stock with me, probably far more than I will need. Happy to explain what I do to these poor wagons so do feel free to enquire.

Nice work, the rusted wagons, dont look like Cows with Orange patches like some you see in photos.

Hi Mick, Thank you. Totally agree. All too often steel minerals are given big patches of 'rust' which are one colour. Rust evolves and you can have many different shades on the same patch, something I try to achieve.

I shall post some more images in due course.

Rob.

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Stunning work and photo's Rob.

Your work is first class, the 'models' look so very real.

John :)

Thanks, John.

I prefer to use powders and aerosol. I don't possess an airbrush. The powders provide a nice texture and I find them easy to blend. The paint only ever gets used as a base, normally just dark earth. Powders are then added to provide contrast and tone.

He's a view of the underframe of the Hornby brake van.

Rob. 20191230_100230-02.jpeg

Western Thunderer
Rob,
What brand of aerosol do you use? Do you use different nozzles for your aerosols/rattle cans?

I think the standard Halfords type nozzle would produce too a wide fan of paint. I know Molotow have different caps with narrow and wide fans, but maybe you use Railmatch or something else?

Some nozzles twist, allowing a different sized fan, maybe you use those?
Tony

Last edited:

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
That is awesome!

I do not have an air brush so use similar to you for all of my modelling, brushes being the main stay.

John :)

Thanks John. For you info, I use a selection of make up brushes to apply the powders. Generally a lot softer than paint brushes.

Rob,
What brand of aerosol do you use? Do you use different nozzles for your aerosols/rattle cans?

I think the standard Halfords type nozzle would produce too a wide fan of paint. I know Molotow have different caps with narrow and wide fans, but maybe you use Railmatch or something else?

Some nozzles twist, allowing a different sized fan, maybe you use those?
Tony

Hi Tony. I use standard Humbrol acrylic Matt aerosols.

Rob.