SimonD’s workbench

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Interestingly (or not) I thought I'd have a look to see why "Britannia" looks as though it has recently been "bulled up" for a special. I think I have the answer. The reporting number carried by the loco on the top lamp iron is 1A86. However, look a little deeper and "X77" can be seen chalked on the smokebox. There's every reason to assume that the preceding number is a "1", so "1X77". The date of the photo is 12th September 1964 and on 6th September 70000 was one of the locos used on the 1X77 "Zoom Special" sponsored by Lyons Maid (there were other trains of the same name and one with the same reporting number). Six Bells Junction records " David Johnson comments: I travelled as a guide on 1X77 from Birmingham Snow Hill to Paddington with a clean but lacking paint 70000 (5A). I do not know from where the special originated. The tour should have been hauled by 46245 but I guess you know the sad story of the end of the Duchess class. From Paddington we had a coach tour to Clapham Museum. The train ran with 7 coaches and a GWR buffet car. 09.05 Snow Hill/ Paddington 11.30 and return 17.30/19.55 booked times. My notes record a storming run up Hatton and an early arrival. Train ran for competitors in a picture colouring competition (Mallard)." For fuller details - and some of the info is still sketchy - see The Railtour Files

It's worth a review of the Six Bells Junction info - I reckon these "Zoom" Specials were unique in the annals of railway specials.

Brian

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
... brake block stacks and a rack for springs at Perth:
An excellent photo which illustrates what I was observing earlier this week:-

* no clutter, safety foremost;
* brake block castings outside to mature;
* springs, generally too heavy for one person to lift, are stored in a dedicated area and in a manner that facilitates handling (as was seen in Tony's photo of yesterday). What is nice about the Perth photo is it shows how the storage area is (appears to be) boarded to admit of wheeled aids to movement of heavy objects.

What

simond

Western Thunderer
In my defence, when I said “clutter” I had in mind stuff like blocks, springs, ladders, hoses, barrows, tools etc.

I didn’t mean “mess”

:)

King Crab

Western Thunderer
Ah the "Zoom" Specials.....
A 'Zoom' was a (supposedly) fruit flavoured ice lolly in the shape of a rocket. Heaven knows why Lyons Maid thought it a good match with steam and diesel locos. For a period, each 'Zoom' lolly came with a cigarette card sized picture of a loco in the packet. The lollies were completely tasteless, but I was a fanatical collector (aged 12). Every night when the ice cream van came to our street, I had the guy searching through his entire stock for a lolly with my missing cards. There was a special booklet to stick 50 of them in, which I still have somewhere (of course!). When the drawing competition was announced I produced a fairly decent sketch, and won a place on the Manchester - York special. I think we had a Black 5 and then 'Great Marquess' and visited York railway museum. I would have preferred something more exciting, but it was still a free treat. In those days being packed off on a day trip alone aged 12 with a train full of cranks was considered completely acceptable.....

Naturally, when the cards stopped being included with the lollies, I never bought another one.

Peter

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Thanks for the additional first hand knowledge of this. As you say, at the time it was not so strange for ten or twelve year olds to be allowed out alone, as I remember well. I think it'll be well worth you looking at the Six Bells Junction site. In fact you may even have some details which have not been published previously.

Brian

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Springs - don’t forget the springs.

This chap would be lost without one.

16246.jpg

chigley

Western Thunderer
Thanks Robin,

RS have already despatched another one... The first lasted from February to December, the second December til yesterday...

Carol, the nice lady at RS Customer Service said that she had checked to see if there were any technical bulletins within RS, but apparently not, so "you've jsut been unlucky", so I said, "fine, let's keep our fingers crossed", and see what happens. If it goes pear-shaped again, I'll have a futher discussion and see what alternatives are available.

At work, we have Ersa Nano for our production guys, I think there are 5 or 6 of them, and AFAIK none has ever had an issue. I do have a Weller PU81/WSP80 in my office, was in our lab, but both of these are ~ £100 more expensive than the RDS80.

Again, great service from RS, shame the RDS80 is not as reliable as it used to be.

Will report further in due course
cheers
Simon
i have used RS and found they are very helpful and quick. Ken

simond

Western Thunderer
Big call out to @GrahameH, and his Silhouette, for doing the job, with thanks also to Brian @oldravendale & Robin @Boyblunder for comments leading to the inspiration.

long story sideways, sprayed transfer film with a suitable yellow Halfords rattle can, and posted it to Grahame, in parallel, drew the lettering on TurboCAD to fit the somewhat compressed gaps between the windows of the riding van, and emailed it to him.

Grahame cut it out and sent it back, and I applied it. Simples :)

This technique certainly works for larger letters, not sure how small you could reliably cut with the Silhouette. Grahame has some spare painted transfer film, maybe he’ll have a play.

image.jpg

It’s slightly paler, but I don’t think that’s an issue. The slight silvering of the other vehicle’s numbers is more annoying, and will require action before weathering.

thanks again to team Western Thunder!

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
I have successfully cut 2mm high letters on mine. The transfer paper was quite old so I had a few breakages during handling but I had cut plenty of spares so it wasn't an issue.

simond

Western Thunderer
Thanks Rob,

in my discussion with Grahame I commented that I might just have to get one. Madame raised the obligatory eyebrow.

I don’t think it’s a priority at present, but it’s clearly a useful bit of kit, possible advantages over the laser in some areas, but clearly the opposite is true too.

maybe, one day...

:)

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Hi Simon,

I don't have room for a laser so the Silhouette will have to serve my needs. it sits quietly out of the way until needed.

simond

Western Thunderer
Yes, and it doesn’t require rebuilding, water cooling, massive ventilation, and cautious supervision. It’s not sophisticated like Phil’s!

simond

Western Thunderer
Well, I’ve been playing with the laser again.

On t’other channel I posted progress on the locoshed roof, it would be fair to say this did not attract universal approval, so some further work was required. Now done, the kerf that the laser produces is a bit wider than the proper gap should be, but it is what it is.

image.jpg

Flashing required, foil seems favourite, a suggestion that only that which covers the corks on fine wines would be best.

On another subject, anybody remember Peco Wonderful Wagons?

I rather fancy a decent meat train to go behind my 47xx, but the wagons are a price, and a “decent meat train” would require quite a few. I have two Parkside and a WEP, but three wagons does not suffice. Even with a toad.

So I posed myself the question, can I preprint card sides, laser etch them, and cut them out, and fit them to a cheap, dimensionally stable “box”. Presuming that handrails, locking bars etc can be appliqué or poked into holes as appropriate. And if so, can I mass produce the van bodies for my train?

there’s still the matter of chassis to be addressed, but I’ve made some progress on the box (easy) and the roof (we’ll see).

image.jpg

Roof jig

image.jpg

first off roof, three layers laminated card. Close but no cigar, yet...

image.jpg

Shame, I was rather pleased with the jig...

A little further work will get us over the line, I hope.

image.jpg

(The other side isn’t as straight...)

thoughts?
Simon

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Flashing required, foil seems favourite, a suggestion that only that which covers the corks on fine wines would be best.

Naturally...:rolleyes:

On this building I used lens cleaning cloth for the apex and chimney flashing painted with a mixture of gunmetal and steel.
Bldg 24.jpg

And on this one I used the foil lid from a large Bonne Maman yogurt pot which is not a thick as the foil around fine wine bottle corks - although the contents of the latter is more satisfying. :)
GS 32a.jpg

simond

Western Thunderer
Thanks Dave,

other suggestions included kitchen foil, which I guess will be thinner again, stained with Birchwood Casey ally black, (which I don’t have) and grey-painted self adhesive labels cut to size.

There will be quite a lot of it, all along the bottom of the clerestory vents, the apexes at either end, and the apex along the top of the skylights. I shall ponder...

cheers
Simon

Deano747

Western Thunderer
Well, I’ve been playing with the laser again.

On t’other channel I posted progress on the locoshed roof, it would be fair to say this did not attract universal approval, so some further work was required. Now done, the kerf that the laser produces is a bit wider than the proper gap should be, but it is what it is.

View attachment 142869

On another subject, anybody remember Peco Wonderful Wagons?

I rather fancy a decent meat train to go behind my 47xx, but the wagons are a price, and a “decent meat train” would require quite a few. I have two Parkside and a WEP, but three wagons does not suffice. Even with a toad.

So I posed myself the question, can I preprint card sides, laser etch them, and cut them out, and fit them to a cheap, dimensionally stable “box”. Presuming that handrails, locking bars etc can be appliqué or poked into holes as appropriate. And if so, can I mass produce the van bodies for my train?

there’s still the matter of chassis to be addressed, but I’ve made some progress on the box (easy) and the roof (we’ll see).

View attachment 142870

Roof jig

View attachment 142871

first off roof, three layers laminated card. Close but no cigar, yet...

View attachment 142872

Shame, I was rather pleased with the jig...

A little further work will get us over the line, I hope.

View attachment 142873

(The other side isn’t as straight...)

thoughts?
Simon

Slates look much better, Simon. The gap is, I'm guessing, as small as you can get with the laser. (I have no experience in them!!)
I like your thinking on the wagons; are basic chassis kits available from Parkside/Peco or Slaters? I've never looked.

Regards, Rob.