SimonD’s workbench

simond

Western Thunderer
Well, I’m not allowed to go to work (though I’m doing a bit online) and you do need to keep yourself busy!

(what I have found is that when they fill you with blood thinners, you don't half bleed, when you scratch yourself…)

Angiogram tomorrow!

Andy P

Western Thunderer
Well, I’m not allowed to go to work (though I’m doing a bit online) and you do need to keep yourself busy!

(what I have found is that when they fill you with blood thinners, you don't half bleed, when you scratch yourself…)

Angiogram tomorrow!
All the best with that tomorrow Simon.

simond

Western Thunderer
Just out of theatre, stent fitted, strict instructions to do very little for two days.

Saw the photos, well impressed by the technology, and the staff who know how to use it!

I mean, open a hole from 0.5 to 3.5mm, ok no problem. Now do it in the dark, watching what you’re doing on tv, three feet away, at the end of a flexible snake…

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I mean, open a hole from 0.5 to 3.5mm, ok no problem. Now do it in the dark, watching what you’re doing on tv, three feet away, at the end of a flexible snake…
It's bloody clever. Glad you 'got away' with a stent anyway. Recovery from bye-passes takes weeks and a mountain of effort.

simond

Western Thunderer
Couldn’t agree more, and being a techie, seeing the kit in theatre was really interesting.

My mum had a multiple bypass in 1995, at the age of 69, and it served her well for 25 years. But you’re right, recovery is a mountain to climb compared to a stent. I’m under strict instructions to do nothing more than lift a cup with my right arm for 2 days, stay off work & not drive for a week, and to take it very easy with gentle exercise for another week.

Might have time for a bit of modelling…

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
I nursed my better half through recovery from endocarditis (including replacement aortic valve). The illness struck in Sri Lanka over Christmas but I am happy to say the surgeons were magnificent. Recovery in hospital lasted about three weeks and then a flight home in Business Class. I finally stopped being a carer and went back to Africa and work after nearly 6 months.

What was surprising is that the illness started very quickly after arriving in Colombo, yet only a week before hand we had made an arduous 16 km hike in the Corbière Hills with no apparent problem.

The good news is that modern medicine really works!

Best wishes to you and your carers! Paul

Andy P

Western Thunderer
Couldn’t agree more, and being a techie, seeing the kit in theatre was really interesting.

My mum had a multiple bypass in 1995, at the age of 69, and it served her well for 25 years. But you’re right, recovery is a mountain to climb compared to a stent. I’m under strict instructions to do nothing more than lift a cup with my right arm for 2 days, stay off work & not drive for a week, and to take it very easy with gentle exercise for another week.

Might have time for a bit of modelling…
I was awake all through mine with Prof Nolan putting it in through my right wrist, and asking for Camera 2, then I'll have 5 and 1 etc, then he asked me to use my other arm to pull on a bar over my head.

Hopefully a good quick recovery.

Phil O

Western Thunderer
Glad to hear that all went well and the only exercise is some light railway modelling for a while.

Deano747

Western Thunderer
So pleased to hear it all worked out well, Simon. Take it easy and look forward to more of your thread as and when.

Regards, Rob.

Peter Cross

Western Thunderer
Pleased all went well. At least with our hobby you can relax and not get bored, whether it's reading and discovering new things, putting a kit together or just playing trains.

simond

Western Thunderer
Well, I’m not happy. The M14 van is built, but despite me skrimping and saving here & there it still sits too high.

I think the issue is largely the depth of the solebars, 6.65mm, about 11.4” whereas 10” appears to be correct for 70’ stock (9” on 59’, afaics), of course the bogies need to swing under the solebars, so if I could lower the floor, I’d lower the whole vehicle, which would also improve the git of the Kadee couplers under the corridor connections.

and the supplied solebars were not beautiful. There’s no rivet detail, and no overlays, and no, I’m not going to create any!

image.jpg

10” would be 5.83, I have some 5mm brass angle, and the loss of a further 0.8mm would certainly get the overall height down enough

It means pulling off the footboards, and rebuilding the trussrods, but I think it’s worth it. Better now than after I’ve painted it…

The challenge is to get the solebars off without losing anything else I’ve assembled.

simond

Western Thunderer
Yes, trouble is the “GUARD” isn’t straight on 833, and now I’ve seen it :(

still, the “two-coach-lengths“ rule applies, and these are longer…

Phil O

Western Thunderer
The guard looks like he's doing a "smiley", I doubt whether you, me or anyone else would have noticed, if it wasn't for the close up photo showing how the M14 measures up.