Brushs Laser Cutting and 3d Printing workbench

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Compared to other UK outline kits, yes I agree about the cost - if it was a better kit I'd be very tempted to get one myself.
We discussed it awhile back on here I seem to remember?; the costs of an etched kit were commented on by those who know, such as Dave Parkins. The trouble is, that many kits have to be sold to cover costs, never mind make any profit, and if there's only a few of us interested, and we only want one or two each.....:(

Interesting point that Jordan. I think the shape would probably lend itself to my/Jenkinson's methods of coach construction, in which case the Guv' could zap one out from ABS/acrylic/Rowmark...

Steph

Pugsley

Western Thunderer
Is the VGA and IZA so different?
There's quite a bit of difference between them. The roof profile is completely different - the central roof section on the VGA is more rounded and the IZA has 4 thicker ribs on the doors, compared to the VGA's five.

I think there's also a difference in length, with each half of the IZA being either a foot longer, or a foot shorter (I've not got any measurements for the VGA other than a length of 42 feet and I don't know if that's over buffers, or not). The half IZA is 12,555 mm over headstocks, the VGA is either 12,801 or 11,761 mm. I guess it depends how fussy you are and how much work you want to do!

BrushType4

Western Thunderer
There's quite a bit of difference between them. The roof profile is completely different - the central roof section on the VGA is more rounded and the IZA has 4 thicker ribs on the doors, compared to the VGA's five.

I think there's also a difference in length, with each half of the IZA being either a foot longer, or a foot shorter (I've not got any measurements for the VGA other than a length of 42 feet and I don't know if that's over buffers, or not). The half IZA is 12,555 mm over headstocks, the VGA is either 12,801 or 11,761 mm. I guess it depends how fussy you are and how much work you want to do!

Today I was looking to see what would be required and I have to agree with you Pugsley that there is a lot more differences than similarities :(

Oh well, back to the drawing board and perhaps finish the kits I do have....

BrushType4

Western Thunderer
Thanks Guys, you are very encouraging. :thumbs:

Too wet and cold to do any spraying today so I was thinking about the next kit and while browsing Paul Bartletts wagons I came across the design below;

http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/grainpolybulk/e38162f65

So for bulker no 2, my quick efforts this morning with some plasticard I had laying around;

IMG_0497.JPG

IMG_0498.JPG

Have I got the look of it? Should I continue with this design or make a second one the same as the first?

Pugsley

Western Thunderer
Have I got the look of it? Should I continue with this design or make a second one the same as the first?
I think you are getting the look of it just fine! That's the type that I have on my 'to do' list, it's a way off from fruition yet though, although I almost think that i should have started with those as, although they're a lot bigger than the tanks I'm working on, they're a lot less fiddly!

To assist you in your kitbashing I've got the following dimensions for the one in Paul's photo:
Length (over buffers) - 18,288mm
Body length - 16,443
Between bogie mounts - 12,348mm
Width - 2,641 over sides
Height - 3,951 A.R.L

HTH

PS - I think you should carry on with this design :thumbs:

BrushType4

Western Thunderer
To assist you in your kitbashing I've got the following dimensions for the one in Paul's photo:
Length (over buffers) - 18,288mm
Body length - 16,443
Between bogie mounts - 12,348mm
Width - 2,641 over sides
Height - 3,951 A.R.L

Thanks Pugsley, do you have a drawing by any chance?

BrushType4

Western Thunderer
Its a rule that all rolling stock on West Mersea is to be sprung and have working brakes :eek:

So getting to grips with AutoCAD I thought I sketch up a Y25 bogie for S7 to fit to my Polybulkers that I could possibly 3d print. :D

The fruits of this evenings labour are a line drawing of the bogie and the first bit of 3d in green, which will be the backing plate. :thumbs:

Y25Bogie.jpg

Will do more tomorrow.

BrushType4

Western Thunderer
Thinking about this. The backing plate, may as well be made from plasticard as its a simple shape. The bogies sides and the front plate will then be 3d printed.

I'll need to investigate prices.