Brushs Laser Cutting and 3d Printing workbench

BrushType4

Western Thunderer
With lots of help :thumbs: Cynric has laser'd a bogie side frame for me.

IMG_4726.JPG

I intend to mill this out in brass at 7mm scale and then build up so I have a working arrangement using the coil springs. Once I'm happy with the design, I'll redraw so that we have a side frame etch with folds to represent most of the side frame detail. Then 3d print the axle box detail to make a master for resin or white metal casting.

Not my work below, but the purple coloured part is the bit that will be a single resin/whitemetal part. Both the blue parts will be the side frame etch and the coil springs, will be well, coil springs. Not sure how the red and yellow parts will be achieved just yet.

y25_force_screen.gif http://www.umlab.ru/wagon.htm

Getting my head around AutoCAD is hardwork just now :confused:

Pugsley

Western Thunderer
The red and yellow parts are the Lenoir Link, which is a form of friction damping mechanism for the spring. Personally, I'd have them as part of the sideframe, with the spring sitting behind, not connected to them.

Also, how about having the hook at the top of the bearing carrier as a separate etched part, that way they can fit through a slot in the sideframe, per the prototype, and be fitted at the end to secure the axle in place. You could glue a bit of wire through a locating hole, so you could get it out again if required.

HTH

Edit - There's a bit more about them, and some potentially useful diagrams, in this paper:

http://www.mscsoftware.com/support/library/conf/adams/rail/pdf/Simulation of a freight bogie.pdf

BrushType4

Western Thunderer
To assist you in your kitbashing I've got the following dimensions for the one in Paul's photo:
Length (over buffers) - 18,288mm
Body length - 16,443
Between bogie mounts - 12,348mm
Width - 2,641 over sides
Height - 3,951 A.R.L

only the weight diagram, which can't be relied upon for scale. The weight diagram is in book British Railways - International Ferry Vehicles Diagrams E425 to E659 which can be found here:
http://www.barrowmoremrg.co.uk/Prototype.html

When I first got these dimensions I was surprised that the wheel base was less than I expected. So having examined the drawing, I've found you can't rely on the written dimensions either. :headbang: The distance between bogies is in fact 13,248mm!!

Glad I checked before I binned off my scratch build :)

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Nice work :), question, where did you get that drawing of the Y25 bogie from please, looks far better and more detailed than I've seen before.

Kindest

BrushType4

Western Thunderer
A conversation at the West Mersea S7 group last week has given me the push to have a go at making the masters for the Y25 bogie for casting in white metal/resin.

I have plan on how these will all fit together now. Just trying to figure out how to mount all the brake gear.

IMG_0555.jpg

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Phil, some Y25 shots from my collection attached, get the rest and these in high rez here http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mickoo/uploads/Y25 bogies.zip am at work on Sunday, perfect to crawl all over these so will boost my collection with more Y25 detailed shots. Do you, or anyone here know the designation of the cast bogies carried under Freightliner wagons please, there will be/ should be two designations, one with clasp brakes the other with disc, just for my records like.

Img_6373.jpg IMG_5614.jpg IMG_6370.JPG IMG_5592.jpg

Kindest

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
... anyone here know the designation of the cast bogies carried under Freightliner wagons please...

Ahhh! the answer to that question is in the Life and Times "Freightliner" book... the chapter on the flats gives the names /manufacturers of the various bogie types fitted from new until the date of the book. I appreciate that you have the book,so for others I shall try to add the details later today.

regards, Graham

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Aha, as far as I can see it does and it doesn't LOL it quotes bogies only for the FFA/FFG fleet, these are indeed cast but have the spring plank that pokes through the sides with external springs and are all British built, I'm after the current ones fitted to FSA/FTA (disc braked) and those fitted to KPA, PFA (4 clasp shoes per wheel, two each side), all made abroad, France on most of the ones I looked at on Sunday.

Disc IMG_0558.jpg IMG_5547.jpg

Clasp PFA_05.jpg IMG_0172.jpg

I also found these shots in my collection, some spare axels and bearings and a couple of low level action pan shots (read blurred) of what I thought were Y25 bogies, but as can clearly be seen, they are totally different in detail and different from the ones posted above, the plot thickens. None seem to match Phils drawings or work.

IMG_0175.jpg IMG_0176.jpg IMG_7456a.JPG IMG_7455a.JPG

Kindest

BrushType4

Western Thunderer
Aha, as far as I can see it does and it doesn't LOL it quotes bogies only for the FFA/FFG fleet, these are indeed cast but have the spring plank that pokes through the sides with external springs and are all British built, I'm after the current ones fitted to FSA/FTA (disc braked) and those fitted to KPA, PFA (4 clasp shoes per wheel, two each side), all made abroad, France on most of the ones I looked at on Sunday.

Disc View attachment 9509 View attachment 9510

Clasp View attachment 9507 View attachment 9508

I also found these shots in my collection, some spare axels and bearings and a couple of low level action pan shots (read blurred) of what I thought were Y25 bogies, but as can clearly be seen, they are totally different in detail and different from the ones posted above, the plot thickens. None seem to match Phils drawings or work.

View attachment 9512 View attachment 9513 View attachment 9511 View attachment 9514

Kindest

The last bogie picture is a Y33 I think..

This site may help.. http://www.drehgestelle.de/6/y25_0_bez.html

Western Thunderer
Still not much progress on the polybulker, so in the meantime and inspired by 40126's Express Parcels, I thought I'd give myself a treat with an easy Parkside build.

I thought I'd try something different and tried an open door version. What do you think?

View attachment 7479

Bit late i know, Phil. But looking good. Ive the 2 nearly finished & purchased another on eBay a couple of months ago. The later is going to be a departmental wagon, maybe the first in my RTC stock. ;)

Steve :thumbs:

Western Thunderer
They are quite different wagons, an IZA is on my 'to do' list although I don't know how long it's going to take me to get round to it.

I don't know how much of a market there'd be for this kind of thing, but with more and more people modelling the BR Blue era, I guess it's increasing. I'm probably going to do the VAA first after the acid tanks I'm currently working on.

Hi Pugs,

I'll be watching with interest if you do a VAA van. I want one to turn into RTC RDB999900 Trib Van. :D

Steve :thumbs:

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
A conversation at the West Mersea S7 group last week has given me the push to have a go at making the masters for the Y25 bogie for casting in white metal/resin.
I have plan on how these will all fit together now. Just trying to figure out how to mount all the brake gear.
Phil,
Masters look good, do you have anybody in mind for producing the castings?

ATB, Col.

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
I too need to know a bit more about casting in resin:thumbs:. So pics of the materials and a step-by-step guide would be great.;)

Rob

BrushType4

Western Thunderer
I too need to know a bit more about casting in resin:thumbs:. So pics of the materials and a step-by-step guide would be great.;)

Rob

I'm still working on making sure the masters are right, but here is a pic of the casting materials.

IMG_0570.JPG

I will document my progress but it may be more of a step-by-step guide of what not to do... :eek:

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
Hi Phil, thats great. Could you tell me the name and size of these materials , oh and where to order from:thumbs:
Roughly how much are the materials.
Looking forward to this thread very much;).

Rob